How old is OK for not needing a babysitter?

KG

My 12 year old son insists that he doesn't need a sitter anymore. I've cell phone, he is very responsible, and I'm never more than 15 minutes away.

He knows the drill, call 911, call me, get to the neighbors. What's your opinion?

Hey there,

When I was 12, I was not left with a babysitter and sometimes I watched over my little brother whom is 3 years younger. Heck, I think I WAS babysitting at the time I was 12. LOL That was back there were no cellphones.

IMO, I think your son will be fine.

Hey there,

When I was 12, I was not left with a babysitter and sometimes I watched over my little brother whom is 3 years younger. Heck, I think I WAS babysitting at the time I was 12. LOL That was back there were no cellphones.

IMO, I think your son will be fine.

Me too. I was babysitting at 12.

But what is the level of your son's maturity? Do you trust his level of maturity enough without having someone keep an eye out for him?

If you're feeling anxious about it, then start off small. Leave him alone only for an hour or so at first. If the house hasn't burned down or been sold, increase the length of time you leave him home alone.

You could also expand his responsibilities in other areas to see how mature he is. Give him a few additional chores or tasks to help out around the house. *nothing major, he is still a kid after all.

you should call your police station and ask. a friend of mine has an 11 year old son, and she called and asked them. they said as long as she wasn't going to be away all night, and he had a phone, and food in the fridge, and is reasonably responsible, then it was ok to leave him alone.

good luck

Before the age of 12, id be at my grand parents when my dad wasn't around. But after that id be on my own, and as my mother left when i was 7 and my dad was working a lot and often not coming back before midnight if at all, it was actually uncomon that there was anyone to watch over me.

At least i learned to be independent very early i guess...

He does weekly chores, keeps his room neat (ish!), gets good grades and hangs with a trustworthy bunch of kids. Gonna call police for law info ( thanks Annie! ), but pretty sure going to try short stretches of time first.

And phone numbers where I'll be besides my cell no.

Thanks to you all!!!

ive been stayin home alone since i was 9. its not about age. judge your son by his maturity and if he's able to be home without anyone. my dad always told me "dont answer the door unless you know them" "call me if you need me". only those 2 things and I mananged

Archived