Ask For Advice

Thread: Difference between being friends and boyfriend/girlfriend?

matts0344

Difference between being friends and boyfriend/girlfriend?

OK, say there is a girl I like, she has shown some interest in me. We're basically a little more than aquantainces.

What is the real difference between being friends and being a couple? I'm not asking what is different about being a coupe vs friends but what differences lead to either one. Is it love? If so what does that even mean? Or is the only difference between good friends and a couples sexual attraction? Or is it something more?

I've never had a girlfriend or any good girl friends.
    I have many good guy friends, I really like them, could I say I love them? I would do just about anything for them and trust them with my life. Though I have no sexual attraction to them. So is having a girlfriend like that except there is sexual attraction?

I don't even know if I'm making sense, just throwing some stuff out there to try to understand the relationship between couples.

Eva:Gina
    There is more to being in a relationship than just being friends who have sex.
    There is an extra element... its indescribable... but its best summed up by "commitment and passion".

CarnelianButterfly
    Platinum Member CarnelianButterfly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eva:Gina [Register to see the link]
    There is more to being in a relationship than just being friends who have sex.
    There is an extra element... its indescribable... but its best summed up by "commitment and passion".
    I agree.

I'd also like to add, my boyfriend is my best friend. The connection I have to him is far deeper than anything I've ever felt with anyone else. He was a friend before we became a couple, our feelings went beyond just caring and attraction.

Eva:Gina
    yep
    my ex was my best friend at the time too, but not becuase of any deep bond, just because of the amount of time we spent together.

I dont feel entirely comfortable calling my bf my best friend yet, but he is. We enjoy our time together so completely

pianoguy
    I think being a couple is essentially being good friends, having sex, and romantic love, which usually proceeds from the other two.

The love you have for your guy friends isn't quite the same. It is similar, but the sexual attraction does play a major role.

I sometimes wonder if romantic love is just our psychological/cultural way of dealing with lust, but that's another discussion altogether.

matts0344
    Quote Originally Posted by pianoguy [Register to see the link]

I sometimes wonder if romantic love is just our psychological/cultural way of dealing with lust, but that's another discussion altogether.
    Yes, this is basically what I'm asking / trying to say. How romantic love is different from other love other than the sex. It seems like its something I just need to experience for myself.

devast
    the real difference between all types of relationships, professional, business, friends, intimate, romatic.... etc... etc...

EXPECTATIONS...

intensity of your relationship depends on that... thus the end result... depends on that as well.... joy, happiness, pain or sadness, etc.... are the end results...

devast
    to the Original topic... you have different expectations from a friend than when he/she is your bf/gf... so your reactions to the end result will be different...

example.. you don't have a right to be jealous when your friend sees someone else or cancel your plan with her/him... you can be jealoused but you can't show that to him/her... but if she/he is your gf/bf... you'll be mad on top of your head...

TheFoglifter
    The most tangible difference is the sex. The hardest difference to describe is the love.

If you aren't getting sex though, you are just "great friends" and are free to sleep with whomever you please. Unless you are head over heels in love (hence, difficult to describe) don't remain more than friends with someone who doesn't give you sex. Trust me.

pianoguy
    Yes, this is basically what I'm asking / trying to say. How romantic love is different from other love other than the sex. It seems like its something I just need to experience for myself.
    It helps... I think you can imagine it though. Did you have crushes in high school and that kind of thing where you would sit around and daydream about girls? Or a girl in particular?

Top Threads
Is it a deal breaker for most women if a man does not believe in marriage?
I don't believe in the institute of marriage and because of my lack of belief, I have no intention of getting married, I know marriage is important
Can anyone figure out how this guy really feels about me ?
This is a little bit complicated. Me and this guy we started off as really good friends for like a couple of years. At the time he was talking to
I don't want us to live next to his parents!
Hey everyone, I'm yet again back with another issue which I would like your advice on. Just quickly to say im in my early 20's as well as my
Is sexting cheating if it makes your relationship/sex life better?
So I've been with my boyfriend for five years and I love him. I wouldn't dream do anything unfaithful or that would hurt him. A (male) friend and I
Ladies Night, should I be jealous?
My girlfriend of ten years or so decided she was going on a ladies night with whoever and I found out because I snooped on her phone. Got jealous /
I have to choose. My best friend or my girlfriend.
First off I'm sorry if I, Andrew, Contradict myself in this. Please ask questions, if necessary. People : Andrew (18/M), Emily (17/F) , Sally
Please Help! (I think I'm going insane)
Hello All, I don't even know where to begin. I met this guy about five months ago through a friend and we were instantly attracted to each other

Featured Threads
Who is in the wrong?
This person isn't really a "friend" she is 24+ years older than me. I have a feeling I'm getting taken advantage of because of my age. I started
I became engaged with a girl who calls herself a "free spirit"......need clarity
I met a wonderful and bright girl 3.5 years ago and she by far stole my heart. She is appositely beautiful, funny, intelligent and outgoing. She is
Has anyone ever totally given up on finding love?
Hello everyone! Well I been wanting to post this for a few weeks now. I don't really know how to say it or word it. But, who here has or knows
Today "should" have been our 6 year anniversary
Today was suppose to be our 6th year together. Today is the first time on this date that we are not together. We made this date a big deal
Shoud I break up because my girlfriend hooked up with my cousin in t
I'm jealous because my girlfriend had casual sex with my cousin before she met me. We've been dating for a year, she's very funny, caring, sexy
I'm in love with my co-worker 😥
My coworker and I started working together about 10 months ago. We work closely together all day just the two of us mainly. From the day he started
Aggressive Courting
There's this girl I really, really like, and would really want to be in a relationship with. Unfortunately, recently I messed up, and now I think she
Ask For Advice