Ask For Advice

Thread: Difference between being friends and boyfriend/girlfriend?

matts0344

Difference between being friends and boyfriend/girlfriend?

OK, say there is a girl I like, she has shown some interest in me. We're basically a little more than aquantainces.

What is the real difference between being friends and being a couple? I'm not asking what is different about being a coupe vs friends but what differences lead to either one. Is it love? If so what does that even mean? Or is the only difference between good friends and a couples sexual attraction? Or is it something more?

I've never had a girlfriend or any good girl friends.
    I have many good guy friends, I really like them, could I say I love them? I would do just about anything for them and trust them with my life. Though I have no sexual attraction to them. So is having a girlfriend like that except there is sexual attraction?

I don't even know if I'm making sense, just throwing some stuff out there to try to understand the relationship between couples.

Eva:Gina
    There is more to being in a relationship than just being friends who have sex.
    There is an extra element... its indescribable... but its best summed up by "commitment and passion".

CarnelianButterfly
    Platinum Member CarnelianButterfly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eva:Gina [Register to see the link]
    There is more to being in a relationship than just being friends who have sex.
    There is an extra element... its indescribable... but its best summed up by "commitment and passion".
    I agree.

I'd also like to add, my boyfriend is my best friend. The connection I have to him is far deeper than anything I've ever felt with anyone else. He was a friend before we became a couple, our feelings went beyond just caring and attraction.

Eva:Gina
    yep
    my ex was my best friend at the time too, but not becuase of any deep bond, just because of the amount of time we spent together.

I dont feel entirely comfortable calling my bf my best friend yet, but he is. We enjoy our time together so completely

pianoguy
    I think being a couple is essentially being good friends, having sex, and romantic love, which usually proceeds from the other two.

The love you have for your guy friends isn't quite the same. It is similar, but the sexual attraction does play a major role.

I sometimes wonder if romantic love is just our psychological/cultural way of dealing with lust, but that's another discussion altogether.

matts0344
    Quote Originally Posted by pianoguy [Register to see the link]

I sometimes wonder if romantic love is just our psychological/cultural way of dealing with lust, but that's another discussion altogether.
    Yes, this is basically what I'm asking / trying to say. How romantic love is different from other love other than the sex. It seems like its something I just need to experience for myself.

devast
    the real difference between all types of relationships, professional, business, friends, intimate, romatic.... etc... etc...

EXPECTATIONS...

intensity of your relationship depends on that... thus the end result... depends on that as well.... joy, happiness, pain or sadness, etc.... are the end results...

devast
    to the Original topic... you have different expectations from a friend than when he/she is your bf/gf... so your reactions to the end result will be different...

example.. you don't have a right to be jealous when your friend sees someone else or cancel your plan with her/him... you can be jealoused but you can't show that to him/her... but if she/he is your gf/bf... you'll be mad on top of your head...

TheFoglifter
    The most tangible difference is the sex. The hardest difference to describe is the love.

If you aren't getting sex though, you are just "great friends" and are free to sleep with whomever you please. Unless you are head over heels in love (hence, difficult to describe) don't remain more than friends with someone who doesn't give you sex. Trust me.

pianoguy
    Yes, this is basically what I'm asking / trying to say. How romantic love is different from other love other than the sex. It seems like its something I just need to experience for myself.
    It helps... I think you can imagine it though. Did you have crushes in high school and that kind of thing where you would sit around and daydream about girls? Or a girl in particular?

Top Threads
Found intimate pics of bf on Internet
Hi, I've been with my guy for 5 months but known him much longer. Overall he treats me well and is a good guy but I keep finding things about him
Some help ladies
What does it mean when a girl shows a lot of hope for us and verbal effection but then I break trust and now she says she only liked me but now the
My boyfriend of almost 3 years has been lying the whole time.
I don't know what to do, or how to forgive him. We have been together for almost 3 years. We have been perfect, we have a 1 year old little girl
Boyfriend of 3 years is blaming me for his smoking
Hi everyone. First a little background info on the situation: We're both 26 and we met 3 years ago online (not on a dating site) where we maintained
Not being "too" available.
I posted a few days ago about the younger guy I've been dating for 6 months and how he doesn't want to use BG/GF labels. I got some great feedback
Jealous of my boyfriend's wild past
But not exactly how you would think. I've made my peace with his sexual past, it's his "fun" and wild past that I can't get over. My boyfriend
Long Distance Boyfriend Suddenly Wants Zero Commitment?
I hope I can get my head on straight by posting this here, and appreciate all advice possible. I've been dating my boyfriend Long Distance for

valendtine's  day counseling
Featured Threads
Ugly pictures
We had a professional photographer come in at work. I used the photo and put it on my dating profile. But when my Roomie saw it,she said take it
Not being "too" available.
I posted a few days ago about the younger guy I've been dating for 6 months and how he doesn't want to use BG/GF labels. I got some great feedback
I am having difficulty accepting my boyfriends bisexuality for no reason
So here goes; the main reason why I got this account here is probably because I am so ashamed of myself and that because I am surrounded by either
relationship advice
hi... I'll start by saying i'm a guy, i just really needed a woman's point of view for this, so i hope you can help me! My mom is paying for my
Seeing ex tomorrow..so confused. Need advice!
Hi everyone. I'm really confused with my ex. Dated two years; he was very hurt by the breakup. He hasn't dated many people, and I was his first
Needing advice and/or support with ex girlfriend
Ok. Long story short... I ended up in a serious relationship with my best friend of 7 years. The last 3 years of which we were in a serious
I really need some advice and a outside opinion
I really don't know what to do ... My girlfriend and I have been dating for about a year now she is no longer attracted to me but tells me she loves
Ask For Advice