Height loss, I'm only 20 years old

I seem to have visibly shrunk in recent times.

My mother used to write signs on a wall noting my height since I was a kid, and I'm quite sure I've lost around 1 inch (2 cm) from my maximum height.

My parents also keep telling me that I continuously look shorter everyday.

I searched on internet but all I find about is osteoporosis, which is a disease in older people. So I have no clue what to look for...

Could this problem be somehow related to the fact that I started regular physical activity after a lot of time of inactivity?

Thank you

What do you mean by posture?

How I keep my body when I measure myself?

Or how I keep it all the time?

It depends... well, since I've started again with regular fitness activity I guess I often try to have a straight posture.

When I'm reading or at the computer I always lie down on a cushion.

I also noticed that in these days I had difficulties to bend my neck down-/frontwards when reading, so I always keep it straight and hold the book in the air.

At your age i bet you its just poor posture. I've always thought i've had good posture until i saw my reflection the other day, and i'm practically bent into a C.

What helps me is to puff my chest out more and bring my head back a bit. Not so much as to be painful, but it is a bit uncomfortable if you've got cruddy posture in the first place.

What position do you sleep in by the way? It might be worth trying to get used to sleeping on your back, sometimes sleeping curled up can leave you unconsciously stiff throughout the day.

It also depends on what time of the day you measure yourself. During the day, the fluid in your spinal column disperses, which means the vertebrae compact, and you seem shorter. thereforeeee, you're tallest first thing when you wake up, and throughout the day, you shrink.

It's not overly noticeable shrinkage...probably 1/2" or so, but that could account for it. It could also be your posture. If you're really worried about it, just get checked by a dr.

I was going to suggest scoliosis also.

My mom had this, and now my sister's son has a bit of it. It can worsen over time, and I think there are things that can be done to correct this. It's nothing to panic over though. Just thought you might want to get advice from a doctor to see if you can prevent further problems.

Sometimes this is so bad that one pants leg will drag while the other one fits perfectly. My mom had to hem one leg every time she bought pants. But she was OK. Don't want you worrying about this.

Hehe, you were right

I just had an X-ray and the diagnosis is

- scoliosis, with reduction of lordosis

- somatic alignment maintained

- discopathy l5 s1

I guess I can forget worrying about my height for a few years

P.S. will I still be able to do physical activity with these conditions?

Archived