Can true romantic love really exist without s_x?

emilykay15

As I was reading responses to my previous post, it makes me wonder if a man can TRULY LOVE a woman he's dating without ever having slept with her? By love I mean the emotional attachment, romance, commitment, sacrifice, honor, and all other wonderful loving attributes, including the desire to have s_x, but the key thing here is that they've never been 100% physically intimate with each other, though they've been physical to some degree.

To be honest, I think intimacy is a huge part of any relationship. People can work so well every where else in the relationship, but if they don't "match" sexually, it can cause major strains. I do think you can love someone, but I do not think it will always work.

To be honest, I think intimacy is a huge part of any relationship. People can work so well every where else in the relationship, but if they don't "match" sexually, it can cause major strains. I do think you can love someone, but I do not think it will always work.

i agree, sex is a very( but not the only) important part of a romantic relationship.

Of course I have been in love with people that I have not slept with, but I was not in a relationship with them.

So IMO, sex is an integral part of a relationship!

I think that physical intimacy and a notion of exclusivity are what differentiate a romantic relationship from just friendship. Now the physical intimacy can be manifested as cuddling, hand-holding, kissing etc without extending to genital action. But I do agree that the success of many a longer term love would be dependent on some element of sexual compatibility. There are always the asexuals and those who don't need sex, but for many of us it's a pretty basic need.

I think that physical intimacy and a notion of exclusivity are what differentiate a romantic relationship from just friendship. Now the physical intimacy can be manifested as cuddling, hand-holding, kissing etc without extending to genital action. But I do agree that the success of many a longer term love would be dependent on some element of sexual compatibility. There are always the asexuals and those who don't need sex, but for many of us it's a pretty basic need.

But if there is sexual activity and physical intimacy without intercourse along with the emotional conection, does that not make a relationship?

But if there is sexual activity and physical intimacy without intercourse along with the emotional conection, does that not make a relationship?

Yes I agree it does make a relationship, or it can make a relationship. Sorry if I was unclear. I think that physical intimacy is a key element of a romantic/exclusive relationship but that does not have to extend to sex. It just does, eventually, for most people.

As I was reading responses to my previous post, it makes me wonder if a man can TRULY LOVE a woman he's dating without ever having slept with her? By love I mean the emotional attachment, romance, commitment, sacrifice, honor, and all other wonderful loving attributes, including the desire to have s_x, but the key thing here is that they've never been 100% physically intimate with each other, though they've been physical to some degree.

ohhhh!!!! I wish I would have seen this post earlier. The answer is yes! Big time yes! If you've read my previous posts, you'd recall that I want to have sex with my boyfriend (he's older) but he won't take that step. He wants to so bad, but he is very respectful (as far as I'm concerned too respectful) of my parents wishes of him to wait till I'm older. We haven't done "it," but we have such a strong emotional bond with each other. I actually hurt when I'm not with him. He truly does love me. If he didn't, why would he wait for me?

Archived