Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Guys- what about the "Grand Gesture"?

JEAB

Question Guys- what about the "Grand Gesture"?

In a female's attempt to maintain a relationship- she often considers the
    "Grand Gesture". That fantasy moment in the movies when she does something completely bizarre/dramatic or unbelievable to make the point
    that she has chosen you and wants no one else.
    Guys- how does that concept sit with you? Are you impressed at all?
    Flattered? Does it sway your perception of the female? Good or bad?

Night Pumpkin
    Gold Member
    I am not really sure what grand gesture you would be referring to...

For me, the grand gesture would be if my girlfriend runs up to me, hugs me, and starts making out with me in front of everyone else. LOL.

You ask what perception it would give ? I don't know...who cares about what other people think of you. If you love each other and are committed to each other, that is all that matters.

I remember I was staying in a hostel in Australia once, and there was this German couple there that were making out on the balcany for over three hours. Then they went down stairs into a "movie" room ( a tv with a dvd player near the entrance) and spent another 2 hours making out. LOL. But if you love each other, who cares what other people think...

Jayar
    I'm not a guy, but I do understand what you're asking here... IMO it's always nicest when the GUY is the one fronting the "grand gesture" hehe. And I am a total sucker for it. I've never been the, uh, grand gesturER (at least not yet) but would hope that if my BF was on the receiving end of such a display he'd be flattered and smitten. Looking forward to more responses to this thread!

JEAB
    What if you don't know if the other person loves you?
    Grand gesture like:
    Sleepless in Seattle (top of the Empire state building)
    Say Anything (holding a boom box up in the rain)
    My best friend's wedding (telling him you love him on his wedding day)
    Wedding Crashers (professing your love in front of a crowd)

breaking into song in a crowded room
    etc,
    etc.

pianoguy
    Those are all movies.

What about real life?

BeStrongBeHappy
    Platinum Member BeStrongBeHappy's Avatar
    those kind of things work quite well in movies (music swelling in the background, etc. etc.), but depending on what you do and how and in front of whom, the guy might not appreciate it, or think you are cracked...

a good relationship is built on lots and lots of small good (and great) moments, not just grand ones, and a bad relationship won't be saved by a grand moment, which in fact might push the person into recognizing the one making the grand gesture doesn't 'get' that the feelings not mutual...

so a grand gesture can be fun if everyone is on the same page (love all around), but mostly only succeeds in the movies when the relationship is rocky or non-existent when the gesture is made...

kate111
    Never had any grand gestures in my life.

Can't say I am missing them. For me they are something that only exists in the movies. I don't crave any grand gesture at all.

itsallgrand
    Sometimes it's difficult to tell the difference between Grand Gestures and mental instability.

I'm not a guy, I'm a woman. lol. But I know what you are getting at.

My Grand Gestures have often actually been displays of slight instability and/or 'that last stab' to make something work.

I've had mixed success. Overall, I'd say they were tolerated when the person already loved me and we already had a good relationship.
    Sometimes tolerated with a grin and thought 'charming' (a quirk of me, I suppose), other times tolerated with annoyance! and followed by a discussion of how I need to express myself more readily and practically.

80's movies!! The Highlight of Grand Gestures As Charming....and totally corny.

Are you thinking of executing a GG?

JEAB
    I am considering a Grand Gesture move- but it would be to get answers to unanswered questions.
    Like the last attempt concept.

Night Pumpkin
    Gold Member
    A hot air balloon ride and a candle lit picnic under the stars would be a grand gesture i guess...thatz what i would like....

but as another poster said, its about lots of little things, not a few big things, that really makes the difference...

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Top Threads
what should i do
I am 56 being in a relationship with my bf for 5 years. Its been up down up down all the time. First he cheated on me several times. Then over
My girlfriends sexual frustration is causing an uproar between us
Okay so my girlfriend has told me time after time how badly she needs me sexually and physically even though I told her we don't have time within our
What to do when the person you like straight out ignores you a lot of times?
There's this guy I'm into and we've had our ups and downs, but he has this really annoying habit where he'll just simply ignore me sometimes. I'll
Cannot tolerate my sister-in-law, ugh!
I really, really hate my husband's sister. He is closer to her than anyone else in his family. Do I have to suck it up? For some
Gf visiting ex bf at the hospital
From the very beginning.... I met a girl in January and talked to her here and there for a few weeks. Towards the end of February she broke up with
How can my boyfriend get over my past through a practical solution?
I had been physcl in my past bt he did not break my virgnty i said everything to my boyfrnd bt he is not geetin it out of his head he is alwys saying
partner going away for 3 weeks without really consulting me
Hi everyone, My partner has gone away on a holiday to Europe with his 2 kids for 3 weeks. The dates chosen supposedly suited one of the kids (she

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Don Juan President
I'm the president of Don Juans. I know all the top moves to make with females and I've had sex so many times. If a man needs advice ask right here.
Talk Dirty to Me!
OMGosh this is rampant. I have been serial dating in hopes of finding a long term relationship. BTW, nn the past two weeks I have been doing really
Is it wrong that I don't drive my parent's car to drive myself places as of now?
I am 20 and I have my driver's license but I don't have my own car yet so I have to rely on my parents and the bus to get me places but my parents
Friendship changes, how to deal?
Hello All, My friend and I are close. We consider our friendship like a brother & sister type. Lately, I've been noticing he has been treating me
Online Dating Descripton Sets Off Red Flags For Me, But Maybe Not for Others?
I have someone who has been giving me attention with Online Dating (yes, I thought I'd give it a gentle go. Dip my toe in the water even though I was
Help
Hi, I'm 37 and I have been with my partner for about 5 years and we have been married just under a year. About 5 months ago my now wife had an
Did you ever get over your first love? Post your stories!
Hello, I've been feeling kind of down lately because I always hear people saying that you never get over your first love, or you'll always compare
Ask For Advice