Birthday gift idea for a new acquaintance?

chet

I'm attending a very casual birthday party for a new acquaintance soon. I was invited by our mutual friend that is organizing the event. I don't know her well (the birthday girl), but have hung out with her a few times, always in a group setting. I doubt most folks at this event are even getting her a gift, so I don't want to get her anything that draws attention to the fact that nobody else got her anything... just something small, cute, or funny -- or maybe nothing if it is too soon since I don't know her that well yet -- but would like to know her better. A few details about her... she is into photography, she runs and is training for a marathon (we are all in a running club), she drinks beer -- a funny beer mug maybe? Hell I don't know, if I had a great idea I wouldn't be asking here... lol.

This isn't a gift for a date, it is for a birthday party. I don't see what your other post about dating has to do with this... and I'm not talking about flowers but something funny (like the beer mug idea), but better than the beer mug idea.

Anybody else?

He's met her a few times, they're in a running club together. To me, it sounds like a friendly gesture, but that's just my opinion.

It would be just a friendly gesture if he has no interest in her romantically and if he buys all of his aquaintences gifts. The way I understood the original post is that he fancies the girl and wants to buy her a gift, only not many other people are buying her gifts, including people more closely associated with her.

The point I was making OP, is that you are buying her a gift because you like her and you want her to notice you, then you're going about it the wrong way. First off, most girls will see right through it and know what you're up to. Girls aren't dumb even if they play ignorant ("I had no idea!") She'll know that if some guy she's barely talked to is buying her a present-even if its small-and some of her own friends who are much closer aren't, then she will know that you like her. That's not the way you want her to find out that you like her. Trying to buy your way in discreetly is not the best approach.

The best approach would be to go to the party, talk to her, flirt, and maybe even tease her about how you thought you might get a gift, but then decided you had better things to spend your money on, like a soda from the machine. That kind of teasing and flirting is fun and developes chemistry. After you've done enough of this to build rapport, you can ask for her phone number or a date like a guy with confidence would. Leave behind any of this "behind the scenes" stuff and act openly and confidently.

Trust me, I've seen it done a hundred times and more and I know what I am talking about here. I'm not saying that buying gifts for friends is wrong, but if you barely know someone and you like her, then going about connecting with her is much much much better served doing it in a different and more open/confident manner.

If you don't want to take the advice, don't. Based upon your immediate responses it sounded like you immediately shut down being open to hearing what I have to say and that's your choice. I'm just trying to help. I've been there myself inmy past and I've coached dozens of guys through this before. I know the trends and how certain actions and trends all seem to follow each other to a common result. Trust me that an open and confident approach is going to help you much more than this.

BTW, if you do go about getting a present and give it to her, I fully expect her reaction to be thankful and pleased. Don't think that is some victory. I do the same thing when my grandma buys me a sweater.

A victory is not made until she accepts an invitation for a date and shows up.

• 4 years later...

Hello I like your idea very much. Giving gift has always been a trouble for me and I often get confused for that. But now your idea has given me strength. I also got a good idea of giving a puzzle or treasure hunt as a gift and I had given it many times. It is also a good gift.

Archived