Incubation for stomach bug?

I am getting so nervous because I saw my boyfriend Friday night until 10, and then he left and was to have work in the morning, but at 2am he woke up with this terrible stomach bug that is going around. So he started throwing up at 2am Saturday, and I last saw him 10pm Friday and was completely involved with him at.... hmm, 7:30 or 8pm, haha.

Do you think I'd have it by now if I was going to get it from him? I do noooot want this thing; just figured I'd ask if anyone knew how long the incubation is for a nasty stomach virus. Supposedly it's a 24 hour bug, but last night he sounded miserable still.

Martha

The incubation for the norovirus (the nasty stomach bug that's going around) is betwen 48 and 72 hours. So it's definitely possible that you were exposed, and if so , you should be developing symptoms in the next day or so.

I'm sorry.... it's an awful bug! Did you kiss your guy when you saw him? Maybe there is hope that you won't get it if you weren't in his face or very close to him.

I don't know if it's me being nervous or what, but I feel off. It might be nerves... for now, because it's not been 48 hours yet until tonight =\

It was the whole shebang Friday night when I saw him. I was a little in his face during the rest of the time, too. He said he's all better today but is tired.

I can't tell my nerves apart from how I'm really feeling. If I get it, once it happens I'll be fine, but wondering and knowing how a stomach bug feels is like torture!

I had it last month. Mine started 33 hours after exposure. I read on the CDC website that 32-38 hours is the average incubation time. Anyway, it hits fast, so you may not want to make any plans to go anywhere today. It is very contagious, so even only a bit of exposure to your bf could give it to you. I hope you don't have it. I would recommend not eating. The faster your stomach clears out, the faster you will get better.

I had it not this past week, but last week. I got it on Tuesday and it wasn't until Saturday that I felt better. The only think that I could keep down was coffee that had one teaspoon of sugar and some milk. The coffee not only filled me up, it helped clear me of all that yucky stuff(sorry for the grafic description). I really hope you do not get it cuz it sucks having it.

It has been just about 48 hours in another hour or two since I last kissed him/saw him. Do you think I'm in the clear?

I still feel off but I could be nervous-- it is just so unpleasant and I genuinely do not want it at all. No way. Knowing the incubation definitely calmed my nerves especially now.

I almost made myself sick earlier being so nervous that I just had to post and ask. Sooo unpleasant... I think it's worse to feel sick and not know if you'll puke or not. After that you at least know! haha

Just some facts...

Duration of Illness: Symptoms usually begin 24 to 48 hours after ingestion of the virus, but can appear as early as 12 hours after exposure. There is no evidence that sick persons can become long-term carriers of the virus, but the virus can be in the stool and vomit of infected persons, from the day they start to feel ill to as long as two weeks after they feel better.

Transmission: Noroviruses are found in the stool or vomit of infected people. People can become infected with the virus in several ways, including:

1) eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus by foodhandlers who have not washed their hands adequately

2) touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus, and then placing their hand in their mouth or eating before washing their hands

3) having direct contact with another person who is infected and showing symptoms (for example, when caring for someone with illness, or sharing foods or eating utensils with someone who is ill)

Symptoms: Common symptoms include:

nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramps

Other symptoms may include:

headache, fever/chills, muscle aches

Symptoms usually last 1 or 2 days. However, during that brief period, people can feel very ill and vomit, often violently and without warning, many times a day.

I don't think I've gotten it from him since tonight will be 72 hours later, but now what you've said is making me wonder about next weekend. Too much information but maybe my boyfriend should wear a condom if he could still have the virus in him!

This is like the plague to me, I don't want it! haha

Oh Martha,

NO KIDDING YOU DON"T WANT IT!!!

Oh man, it hit me last night- the night before I started my new job!

Vomiting and diarrhea ALL night (as in zero sleep, every 10 minutes) and into today and now I'm running a 101 fever.

It is miserable-- the sickest I've been in a really long time.

I hope you are well!

wow YOU got it!?? You just got it?? wow out of any of us you'd think I would have gotten it!! I'm sorry you got it, do you know who you might have caught it from? I hope you get well soon!

Hey Martha,

I'm convinced I was doomed to have it because I was talking to you about it. J/K.

I'm a nurse and I was working in the ER and two of my patients had it on Thursday night when I was taking care of them... and lo and behold, I got it Sunday night!

I'm much better now, but I was down and out for a few days.. and I lost 6lbs and 24 hours! Couldn't do that again if I tried!

How about you? Did you end up catching it?

aw I'm so sorry you got it, I never ended up getting it but I'm still so paranoid I could get it at any time. Anyone who I mentioned it to has gotten it, and I get so paranoid other people are going to give it to me. I'd so much rather have a cold or something like it, and not be puking uncontrollably! Now some flu thing is going around. I see people day in and day out licking their fingers when they count their money at the bank, and never washing their hands before eating something... ugghhh... I hate this whole season, haha.

Yep, there's alot of buggies going around. Just be sure and wash, wash, wash your hands as much as possible, and carry around one of those little bottles of Purel and sanitize your hands whenever you touch things.

There's still a chance but it minimizes the risk alot.... I was caring for patients for 2 months every day with it and just caught it now!

ugh, now my friend's parents have it. Do you think I could catch it from her? I have class with her for 3 hours and my seat is right next to hers... does this bug ever go away? I haven't heard of it being around since 4 years ago, though I bet it has been. It's just weird everyone's got it, like I can't escape it now or something!