I just had to have my dog put down

Mysterious Gurl

Hello all,

I know this isn't the most suitable place for my topic but I just wanted to get what I was feeling off my chest. I'm just grieving over my dog at the moment.

I had to have her out down about 4 hours ago due to her kidney failure. It was probably the hardest thing I have ever had to experience in my entire life. I never saw her die but my dad did. I said goodbye to her before and after though.

What made it worse was she watched me walk out the Vets office and I literally broke down to my knees when the door closed. I only had her for a year because we took her in from the street. A week after we first got her she had a litter of six.

The thing is she was a really old dog so she did well for age.

I just feel crushed. I feel so heartless even though it was a case of being cruel to be kind.

When I was younger it was obvious that I couldn't go in the Vets office when we took in an animal, so this was my first time. I fee devastated right now. I just wanted to get it off my chest because I feel weirded out right now.

It's amazing the bond I had with her now I think about it.

Thanks for reading,

Miya x

I am so sorry for your loss!~~ If you took her in off the street a year ago, you gave her a very good year in her life. I am sure she is very grateful for that! All dogs go to heaven and she is smiling down on you right now.

(((((((HUGS)))))) its never easy is it? I have gone through it too with having to put an animal down. It hurts so deep. Its a creature who loves you unconditionally and doesnt ask for anything in return. The love you shared is priceless, hold onto that. Let the memories comfort you right now.

Im really sorry for your loss. Really. I know how close we can become with our dogs. What kind of dog was he/she? Mabey its a bit early, but Id love to hear about him. By the way, you did the right thing by putting him to sleep. Im sure he had a great life with such loving owners.

It's always so hard to lose a beloved pet. I still feel very sad about a pet I lost 3 years ago. I will never forget her.

This is one of my favorite poems about coming to terms with the loss of a pet: link removed

Your dog was lucky to have such loving owners who cared for her, even in her last moments. She is in a better place now, peaceful and happy. You did the right thing by ending her suffering.

BellaDonna

ohhhh, I am sooo sorry I know how hard the loss of a pet is. In my opinion, it's just as hard as losing a human.

Like southerngirl said, the fact that you rescued her and gave her such a great year is amazing. You made her life worth living and gave her a safe place to raise her babies.

You make the right decision. I know ending a life may not seem like the right decision, but she was suffering and now she's in a better place

Again, I am so sorry

It takes a lot of time, but every day is better than the last.

Miya, I'm so very sorry. But it is so clear from your post that she had the absolute best year a dog possibly could. You were wonderfully kind to take her in, and yes, wonderfully kind to release her from her pain! I very much understand how some of us want to do all we can to keep our pets alive, but there's a point where we really need to release them from their suffering. And that's exactly what you did.

What are some of your favorite memories of her? What was her name?

I'm so sorry for your loss. I had to put down my best friend two years

ago, it's so so hard to do.

Know that she loved you and that you gave her a good life, and know that

putting them down is so much better than letting them suffer. It is the ultimate show of love and an unselfish act of kindness.

Hugs to you. Rememeber her fondly. Maybe plant a tree in her name you can visit.

Oh sweetheart -hug-

I know there really isnt anything one can say to make it feel better, but I promise it will feel less weird after a while.

We get very attached to our animals for good reason, and in this day and age it isnt uncommon for people to be more upset over their pets passing away than if a person was to die,e ven family memebers!!!

Just dont feel stupid for grieving for your friend, scream, cry, yell, sit numbly looking at the wall... whatever works for you

Of course this is the right place to put your thread!!

I am so sorry about your loss. I know that crushing feeling of your insides feeling like you cannot move and feeling if you do you may collapse...I was in the room with the vet when he had to put my beloved cocker down (cancer). I was destroyed, and the sounds that came from deep inside of me I did not even recognize...God bless your baby and go to the thread that Belladonna has posted. The Rainbow bridge, I believe is in Utah, Pets Friends...wonderful place and wonderful stories....Take care and God bless both of you.

Kipling says it best.

The Power of the Dog

There is sorrow enough in the natural way

From men and women to fill our day;

But when we are certain of sorrow in store,

Why do we always arrange for more!

Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware

Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a puppy and your money will buy

Love unflinching that cannot lie-

Perfect passion and worship fed

By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.

Nevertheless it is hardly fair

To risk your heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years which Nature permits

Are closing in asthma, or tumor, or fits,

And the vet's unspoken prescription runs

To lethal chambers or loaded guns,

Then you will find -- it's your own affair,

But ... you've given your heart to a dog to tear

When the body that lived at your single will,

When the whimper of welcome is stilled (how still),

When the spirit that answered your every mood

Is gone -- wherever it goes -- for good,

You will discover how much you care,

And will give your heart to a dog to tear!

We've sorrow enough in the natural way,

When it comes to burying Christian clay.

Our loves are not given, but only lent,

At compound interest of cent per cent.

Though it is not always the case, I believe,

That the longer we've kept'em, the more do we grieve:

For when debts are payable, right or wrong,

A short-term loan is as bad as a long.

So why in Heaven (before we are there!)

Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear.

Thanks everyone -hugs to all-

Her name was Jess and she was a Heinze 57, it's a mixed breed as far as I'm aware. We had her for about a year at least but I wasn't able to keep the puppies beause 4 died of this illness (forgot he name) but it use to mainly affect puppies.

I just miss teasing her. Every now and again bought her a Curly Wurly, these chocolate bars but they're a bit chewey. I use to tease her with them and preten to eat it myself and she use to fuss a round my dad so he'd make me give her it in th end.

I also miss how she use to wonder off in a morning around the block when we unlocked in a morning.

I just feel so guilty fo having her put down. I could see her trembling with fear when we arrived at the Vets so it made me feel really guilty. It's just the way she looked at me when I said goodybye as I left the room, I felt so heartless.

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to eat though. I feel starving but I don't feel like eating. I managed to eat some lasagne though but it was a lot of effort to eat.

Thanks for the poems. I saved them so I can go back to them.

Thanks for the replies all,

Miya x

Hey Girl,

I just wanted to say how sorry I am for the loss of your friend. I went through something similar with both my elderly dogs in 2001 when they both died within 3 months of one another, one on his own and the other had to be put down because he had a large tumor that couldn't be removed and was making him very uncomfortable.

I had them both cremated and put this on their urns:

Do not stand at my grave and weep

I am not there; I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow,

I am the diamond glints on snow,

I am the sun on ripened grain,

I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush

I am the swift uplifting rush

Of quiet birds in circled flight.

I am the soft stars that shine at night.

Do not stand at my grave and cry,

I am not there; I did not die.

-Mary Frye

Then I released their ashes together at a local beach where we loved to play, it was magic to see the ashes go out and up... wisking around in the wind almost as if they were playing with one another.

Anyway I send you a big hug and your pup was a very lucky girl to spend her last year knowing she was special and loved and had found her forver home with you.

((HUGS))

• 2 weeks later...

Heyz,

*hugz you very tight* I know exactly how you feel. I just put down my dog a few months ago to. It was the worst thing i've ever watched and one of the only things that brings tears to my eyes just to think about.

Just know that your friend is no longer in pain. You'll miss him/her so much and i won't deny that but you still have the wonderful memories. The bond between a dog and a human and be as tight as family. I learnt that the hard way. Please lean on your friends and cry as much as you want. Hopefully the pain will pass quicker for you

Good luck and feel free to PM me

love alwayz rozie.

• 1 year later...

I had to put my dog down yesterday morning because she had a big tumor. It got so big that she couldn't really move around alot and she was crying because she couldn't get up. I had her since I was four years old and now I'm seventeen. That was the hardest thing I ever did in my entire life! I felt like someone ripped out my heart. My dad felt bad bekuz she had a perfect heart and dashounds can live up to 20 years so she could have been here for about another 6 years or so. I tried to hold her when the lady was putting her down but I just couldn't watch her do that so I turned away and cried so hard. The look on her face seeing her dead was so difficult. We burried her in my grandmas back yard. I still feel so bad and I can't stop thinking about her or yesterday when we put her down. I feel like i lost my best friend. That was the worst feeling in my whole life. My dad was crying so much that he even made three ladies that worked there cry. I feel sad bekuz I'm not use to being without her and I just wish that I could see her one more time, but I had a dream about her last night. I just wanted to talk to someone who knows how I feel because it still hurts to know that she is gone and I miss her so much. I cried last night and this morning. I kept her collar to help comfort me and I still have another dog that we got a few months ago. I'm glad that other people know how I feel but that was the worst decision of my whole life. I miss my baby.

R.I.P STAR 1994-2008

I feel your pain. My bf and I recently had to put down the cat we had the longest, Tomas. He was 21-years-old and his organs just gave out. He was old and in pain, so it was for the best. But, Oh, how he was loved and how he is missed! He was loving, kind, smart, and very brave. He was a little cat, just 6 lbs, but he had the heart of a lion! It's been a month and it still hurts. You will heal, but it will take time. My thoughts are with you.