Employers suck, and aren't "fair" at all.

I hate employers so much. I hate seeing how so many people around me have to barely lift a finger for their first job, and I can't even get THAT. I've tried so many applications, and those corporate slime STILL won't hire me. This puts my mom into a schema that I don't WANT to work... now she wants me to go to fast food and work there... but if I do that, I'll be humiliated to the point where I'll commit suicide. This blows. "Fair and Equal employment" my hind. What a lie. This convinces me that 1984 really IS happening in this society; that's a clear-cut example of newspeak, and it's GREAT for weeding out the bad seed and ridding of the smelling salts. Fair and Equal only to those who have had at least 2 jobs or knows someone in the company, that's what. Who cares if what I say is "negative" and "you musn't talk about those things, only think happy thoughts blah blah blah" WELL EASY FOR YOU SPOILED IGNORAMUSES TO SAY, BECAUSE YOU CAN AT LEAST GET EMPLOYED!!! I know nobody ever agrees with me anyways, and they probably don't care as long as they have a sense of security, so whatever. I'm about as expendable as a McDonalds employee, so I don't know what to do with myself anymore. I frequently hit myself in the face and neck as hard as I can because I hate what I've become. This whole world is gonna end soon... I can see it now... at least my world is.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally see were your coming from I have my mum and dad breathing down my neck all the time about getting a job. But in my country if your parents earn less than £30000 a year you get EMA (educational maintanance alowance) bassicaly its £30 and £100 bonuses for good colege work.

I dont get this and some people who do get additional jobs and then when im going to the pub these people have the cheek to say im a bum. Bastards My parents pay more tax and I get less and also have to get a loan for university.

I get friends and associates into jobs all the time as long as I know their qualifications.

Tell me about yourself and show me a sample resume. Tell me some positives about yourself. How do you dress and come off?

Also, what kind of jobs do you NOT want aside from fast food?

At age 18, with no job experience, your options are limited unless you gain a certifiable skill and/or have a social network.

Tell me about yourself.

My opinion is you have to start somewhere...to at least show the work ethic and responsibility. I have worked some less than fantastic jobs, but they did build up my resume, give me experience, get me an income, and get me interviews elsewhere.

Have you ever had a job anywhere? Volunteered? Have you had someone look at your resume to critique it? What are your educational qualifications? Are you cold calling, applying to specific ads? Do you have a cover letter? Do you go to job fairs?

It is not "easy" to break into an entry-level job; there are a LOT of people going after the same job, whom may have more qualifications, or had a better resume, or better interview.

Rather than blame them for being "judgemental" or something; take a look at where you can improve on. Fair and equal applies to where people are not discriminated against for their race, sex, orientation - it does not apply to the fact they can differentiate based on qualifications or "fit" within the company.

Well I understand your frustrations, but if you exhibit the kind of attitude that is coming accross in your post (I don't care, I hate myself, The world is going to end) then I can see why your interviews probably are not going very well.

If you aren't necessarily in need of money, but your parents are wanting you to be working - then how about an internship? The pay might not be good (or even zero) but the experience will give you that leg up you'll need to land your next job.

Doesn't matter where you work, what's important is that you take pride in your job and yourself....Learn everything you can and work your way up or out to something better....A college degree will get you farther in life....Gotta start somewhere. Most of us started on the bottom! Hard work and a good attitude is what gets us moved up!....Good luck.

what kind of experience do you have at 19 that will make you suitable for the corporate world? Why do you want to work for them if they are slime?

If the 19 year olds don't work there... who will?!?!?!?

No one likes working at those places... but I still think its better than nothing.. or at least , its somewhere to work, get a paycheque, while you are looking for something better.. It certainly looks better on a resume than 'nothing'

do you think its 'beneath' you or something... because I'm getting that idea from your post... If you don't want to work at Maccies, then what about somewhere in a 'nicer' environment like an independent cafe or coffeeshop or at a bar you really enjoy? At least that way you could get tips

Do you know any friends who work at places you would like to work at? Maybe they can put in a good word for you. My last job, I was a tech writer for a small engineering firm. Worked there for 7 years and loved it. It was a position that they never advertised. I only found out because I had a friend who worked there. He told me to apply and put in a good word for me and I ended up with the job.

Sometimes it pays to know people.

CG,

First jobs aren't humilating, they're a first step. You could walk down to a construction site and work as a laborer. Do you ever eat fast food? Somebody has to make it.

My first jobs were as a laborer and concrete finisher. No status at all.

well - as one who hires - I gotta agree with Avman here. If you come in with attitude, you won't go very far. And if you HAVE or GET the job and don't take pride in what you do, you won't last.

If its just a matter of GETTING that first job - hang in there. There's BOUND to be something.

Do you drive? Could you deliver pizzas? What about stocking shelves? Anything to get you some experience and get yourself a good reference right??

I can't get a job either. I'm been stuck working as a waiter for my parents for the past 4 years and I've been trying to get out of it for years but no one will give me an f'in job in retail.

My friend, consider yourself blessed... at least your parents work at a restauraunt... try getting another waiting job elsewhere? It might help you take that next step

CG,

First jobs aren't humilating, they're a first step. You could walk down to a construction site and work as a laborer. Do you ever eat fast food? Somebody has to make it.

My first jobs were as a laborer and concrete finisher. No status at all.

If only you knew how cruel people around where I live really are, they are very quick to judge and scrutinize about things like this. I'd move away, but I don't have enough financial security. I have trustfund and metlife money, but I'm hardly allowed to touch a cent of it without my mom's consent.

I'd work construction, but my mom won't allow me to because she thinks of me as a total weakling, and doesn't want her "poor little boy to get hurt". She'd rather I work a job like fast food so I can have a "normal" income; doesn't matter how many people pick on me for having a job like that. I'd work for a CD shop, but they've literally left town. I'd have to work at "Best Buy", and you probably need at least 3 jobs for THAT.

I've wasted so much of my life playing guitar, and now I have to deal with THIS. The only guitar retail stores are COMMISSION ONLY or family owned and operated!!! Plus, I suck, so I can't be qualified to "teach" anyways.

Believe me, I am extremely positive and enthusiastic when I go look for applications, but still, no luck. Not even a flippin' interview.

America cheeses me off. I'm gonna move away from here the first chance I get (and no, that doesn't mean joining the armed forces, that'd be the same as committing suicide).

You'd commit suicide if you had to work in the service industry?! LOL.

Sorry dude. I'd be dead many times over if that were the case.

Yes, it can be hard having to 'suck it up' and work somewhere less than ideal.

It can also be a real blessing, as I know it was for me.

Waiting tables and cooking - that never struck me as 'lowly' work because that is how I managed to be fed as a child. I knew too many people who worked hard and really made a gift of their work there. I was cooking and serving since I was a lass - never saw it as 'less than' the guys working in an office or anything else. Why would I?

Anywhere you work - ANYWHERE - you have an opportunity to contribute.

Which would be more than you are doing now, and what would make you feel better, in my humble opinion.

Everybody on this planet is equal and the work they do is all important.

I believe that 100%.

Even as a maid - which I found very difficult to swallow up to do that work - I found ways to be somebody who made a difference.

You can make life easier for anybody anywhere.

Try it. Try thinking of what you can do for others, rather than how it benefits you.

That is seen as a real asset to any employer, and you will land a job and rise to whatever positiion you like if you can do that and work hard.

take care. feel better soon.

I also agree with Avman....and you can hate me but your attitude needs to go.

I am an employer. I ALSO work on the floor and do the "employees" job.

I respect everything my employees do and tell them every chance I get.

You are complaining about your age and getting hired. I hired a young man in high school in October as a receptionist for us on weekends. He's NOT

exactly stylish....in fact he's a bit on the geeky side..BUT he has a drive to do well...and he has shown he's dependable, reliable and trustworthy. Those are extremely IMPORTANT traits.He also has a VERY positive attitude..and believe me.....that goes much further than even experience sometimes.

Maybe you are knocking on the wrong doors....but whatever the case is....

keep your chin up and remain POSITIVE!!! I promise it will do wonders.

I started working full time after I graduated from highscholl ( I was 17 ). My first job was as a junior at a Debt Collection Agency. Worst job of my life. Paid around $14000 a year. But I worked my butt off.

I then got a 12 month traineeship (crap money again) at a bank for customer service and worked my butt off again and completed it. I then moved up in that bank into accounting... continued working my butt off.

Now I'm working for an international, fortune 500 company in the city and am working towards becoming an Account Manager in an accoutning department... and this goal is definitely in the foreseeable future. I have an excellent relationship with my clients, co-workers and, most importantly, my manager who supports my moving up in the company.

Oh, and I'm only now 20 years old... going on 21.

The point of this story is, I started out as, basically, an office slave in a crappy little 20 person business, making coffee, answering the phone and basically doing everything no one else wanted to do... but I did my job as if it were the most important job in the world. As a result, I now know what I actually want to do as a career and I have increased my income by about $30,000- in 3 years.

You will find a job if you have great self presentation, self motivation, lower your standards a little! and SELL YOURSELF in those interviews and in your resume!! This sounds corny but believe in yourself and believe in whatever job it is you're doing. Work hard. Show them that you are dedicated. And then you will reap the rewards.

The thing is, at a young age and with no experience, you're not going to a get a great job... but stick it out and it will lead to bigger and better things.

ps. Don't work for fast-food (that's for 15 year olds). Go for a crappy office job... it will take you more places.

You've got it twisted, homeboy/homegirl.

I'd commit suicide if I had to work fast food because all the jerks will constantly pick on me and girls will refuse to go out with me because a job like that is "humiliating" and shows "stupidity". I can't even get a job waiting tables... me getting a waiting job would be like a lowly office drone getting a managers job after 1 year with the company. I can't even get a job at Target and I've tried TWICE already.

I don't know if you live in America, but this is not land of the free. There is no damn "equality" here. This is the land of enslavement by elitism. Half the people here are suffering from depression, including myself. The drug industry (mostly with it's placebo perscriptions of anti-depressants that don't work in the first place) is known as one of the (if not the) highest paid industry here. And here, money is king. No wait, money is God. Thus, it's easy to manipulate others, and when one expresses himself by challenging the ideas that this "great land of the free" (not at job interviews of when asking for an application though), that's against their agenda. I know this sounds a little far-fetched, but I think there's gotta be some sort of conspiracy against me and others who are challenging free thought". You can go ahead and call me a "wacko", but if you don't like me for saying this, tough, because that's the only "me" there is.

"Go back to bed, America! You are free to do as we tell you!! You are free to do as we tell you!!" - Bill Hicks

who is going to pick on you at 19 working in a fast food industry?!?! how do you even know.. why not try it out first and then see..and if someone makes a comment about job then screw 'em!!

it sounds to me like YO have that attitude ( about being in the fast food industry!)

but what skills and qualifications do you have that you think you should get any better and at only 19?!?!

sorry, but thats where 19 year olds should be working if they dont' have any qualifications

You may not like it but thats just one of the facts of life! No one adores working in macdonalds... you worry about what the girls will say if you work there.. but what will they say if you dont' even have a job?

No, I don't live in the States, and I don't think you are a wacko at all.

I'm just trying to encourage you, in my own weird way, to take pride in whatever it is you do and to look at the possibility that your attitude is hindering you in what you are trying to accomplish.

I was just trying to say that no matter what job you were to take, even one that you think others would deem 'humiliating' , well, that doesn't mean that you have to label it that nor to be humiliated because of it. You can choose to always show pride - regardless of vocation or situation.

That shows tremendous character to me.

Those who make fun of anyone for their status in life are the fools, in my opinion, and not to be taken seriously. They are the ones who are indignified.

who is going to pick on you at 19 working in a fast food industry?!?! how do you even know.. why not try it out first and then see..and if someone makes a comment about job then screw 'em!!

it sounds to me like YO have that attitude ( about being in the fast food industry!)

but what skills and qualifications do you have that you think you should get any better and at only 19?!?!

sorry, but thats where 19 year olds should be working if they dont' have any qualifications

You may not like it but thats just one of the facts of life! No one adores working in macdonalds... you worry about what the girls will say if you work there.. but what will they say if you dont' even have a job?

Who's gonna pick on me? You'd be surprised. People are extremely judgemental where I live. Like I said, I'd move, but I have no ability to do so right now.

Working at McDucks is like not having a job in the first place, unless your 16 or so. So, them girls really won't care either way.

You folks don't even know me and say I have an "attitude problem". Now I'm not so surprised about people being so cruel to me... all people are subconsciously prejudiced in one way or another.

If I'm stuck with no better for a long time, I'm committing suicide by slitting my throat with one of my Cutco knives.

Who's gonna pick on me? You'd be surprised. People are extremely judgemental where I live. Like I said, I'd move, but I have no ability to do so right now.

Working at McDucks is like not having a job in the first place, unless your 16 or so. So, them girls really won't care either way.

You folks don't even know me and say I have an "attitude problem". Now I'm not so surprised about people being so cruel to me... all people are subconsciously prejudiced in one way or another.

If I'm stuck with no better for a long time, I'm committing suicide by slitting my throat with one of my Cutco knives.

Dude... that's dramatic and completely unnecessary. Read my earlier post. You don't need to work at Macca's.

working at macdondalds IS better than having no job what about a coffee shop?what about retail? so you may be rejected from a few.. but how many resumes have you put out? 15? 20? 40?

No one is being cruel to you.. we are just trying to help you... you say you have no attitude, but then you make judgemental comments about people working at macdonalds

Do you like these judgemental people? I certainly wouldn't... who cares what they think?

What kind of places have you been applying to? Is there an employment agency where you live?