Maternity or Nursing bra?

katie831

I plan to breast feed and at 24 weeks it is time that i stopped squeezing into my old bras.

I'm not sure which to invest in though, surely it would be more practical to just go ahead and buy nursing bras as i plan to nurse anyways? or should i spend my money on maternity bras for now? i would have guessed they would both give support?

also i like my underwear to match and look half decent and from what i have seen nursing bras can come in sets and seem to look a lot nicer.

They say you shouldn't purchase a new bra until you're well into the last trimester because the girls will continue to grow exponentially.

I would recommend picking up something cheap, comfortable, and supportive for now. Invest in the nursing bra later.

I would definitely vote for the nursing bra. You will need them soon anyway if you plan to nurse. The ones I have are very comfortable and I did start wearing them when I out-grew my regular bra's.

Unfortunately for me nursing didnt work out as planned.... Im trying not to beat myself up with it... Thing with maternaty bra's is that if you are done being pregnant you will not have any further use for it. So do it if you want to but keep in mind it would be only a temporary thing. Good Luck with nursing!

They say you shouldn't purchase a new bra until you're well into the last trimester because the girls will continue to grow exponentially.

I would recommend picking up something cheap, comfortable, and supportive for now. Invest in the nursing bra later.

Good point. Your girls will continue to grow.... so try to keep the cost down on what you do spend in case you need to turn around and buy bigger equipment LOL

The ladies are right- those girls will get even bigger the last trimester, particularly once they become engorged. I would wait until about a week or so before your due date, and even then you might be able to get measured a little bigger for a proper fitting nursing bra.

For now, how about a few sports bras that are snug but give you enough room to breathe? Support is important- but you should be able to get a few sports bras for around 12-18$ a piece to get you through until it's time for a nursing bra.

lol yeah well it is actually painful to wear my old bras and i am going to get the girlies measured before i buy.

right i think i will buy nursing bras but try and not go over the £30 mark.

Um...i have another question, today i noticed my breasts have started to leak really small amounts of clear and yellow fluid, which i am guessing is colostum (sp?) do you reckon i need breast pads now?

My boobs grew so much too, but I just bought plain ol' cheap underwire ones to get me through. It's a good thing too because my boobs just went through another growth spurt and I just went out and bought a few nursing bras (37 weeks). They measured me now and I got ones a bit bigger for when I get bigger still. I would suggest you hold off because most likely they are NOT going to fit by the time you get farther along.

I also started leaking a little bit but it wasn't a problem...I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to pick up some nursing pads. They're pretty cheap, but they're pretty bulky. I would suggest that if you have any sanitary pads or panty liners you don't use for the time being (hooray for lack of periods), you can cut them smaller and stick them in your bra.

I would suggest that if you have any sanitary pads or panty liners you don't use for the time being (hooray for lack of periods), you can cut them smaller and stick them in your bra.

Great idea. I wonder if there is a correlation to leaking with ease of breastfeeding. I haven't leaked at all and am fully filling my old bra's, but not really THAT much bigger, just overflowing, you might say.

I don't plan on breastfeeding, but I think the key is to stick with bras that are comfortable (and preferably cheap) since you will probably still grow a little more and need to replace them anyways.

Starting off as a "D" cup to being with, at 11 weeks I am already in a very uncomfortable state and I don't know what I'll wear as this pregnancy progresses. So far, I've found that general bras with very wide straps help a lot. Bras that limit motion ,without squishing feel the best. Lining or light padding also helps in case someone bangs into you by mistake- they ligthen the impact. (-Had that happen a few times and thought I was going to die! lol)

I've gotten in the habit of wearing sports bras to bed because I was very uncomfortable when I was trying to sleep. They have been a lifesaver. Too bad they look so horrible under regular clothes (they create a "uni-boob"), otherwise I would wear them all the time.

BellaDonna

terrible terrible night of searching for nice nursing/maternity bras...they are all disgusting looking...i mean just because i am pregnant does not mean that i

a) don't have the right to look nice

b) don't have my other half to slightly impress

in the end i ended up crying in one of the changing rooms after trying on what looked like two potatoe sacks attached with elastic.

i did not buy any bras and feel completely 'fugly'

i swear the one of the perks of pregnancy is nice big boobs yet people seem to want us to keep them hidden in sports type/granny bras

feel miserable

I would go with the ugly granny ones. There is usually a trade-off. The ugly ones make your boobs look really good, once you have a shirt on. The flimsy pretty ones look good when you're naked in front of your man, but they make your boobs look awful once you've got clothes on.