Being brown sucks

You know it really is hard being brown or non-white in a white supremeist world. Do NOT deny it by saying we dont, because everyone knows we do. Most of the people i live with are white, and even mostly everybody in family is pure porceliein european skin white. I just happened to be brown, and I live in a society where people really dont discriminate publicly, but i can feel it sometimes. Its hard being called many different names and races, ive been called everything from mexican,arab,black,indian,muslim,latino,hispanic,afgahni etc etc, things that dont even make sense. Even my mother of white skin tone, says some comments that really hurt me inside, even though they are not really that bad in general. You my position is very odd, because all my imediate family is white, and im the only brown one, and when i have to fill out a form and check off my ethnicty its hard, im caucasin in terms, but i do not look caucasian at all. I think its going to be tough leaving to college soon because a MAJORITY of the people there are white. Im also going to be studying business and i think it will be extremly hard to find jobs etc because of the fact that the color of your face makes a political statement. I know this is really off topic but i needed a place to vent my feelings about being brown. There is no reason to take pride in it or be proud, or is there any reason why i should feel better about it. Its hard to live in a society where non-whites are looked upon as rubbish. This is comepletely serious and not trying to be emotional etc, but If there was one thing i could have, it wouldnt be a nice car or something of that nature, it would be for me to be white.

Its hard dealing with something that you can NEVER get rid of. Its really funny meeting people sometimes because i live in a community where everybody is white, and then i come along and they see me, im not being paranoid or overthinking it, you can see the surprise and shock of my color and the disgust in some people. I could tell by schools college counseler that she was trying to give me the message that Im brown, im gonna end up being doin physical labor and job due to the ignornance of the sterotype of brown mexicans.

• Like 1
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive me if this is out of line... but it's just the first thing that came to mind... Look how much money white skinned girls pay to go bake in a tanning bed and get skin like yours?

I feel bad that you are surrounded by such narrowminded idiots, really I do. When I see a dark skinned person I don't think differently of them at all, and I am white as white can be if you are wondering.

The first thing you have to realize is that the problem is theirs, not yours. And I wouldn't be so worried about going to college. Most people are surprised at how open minded everyone is when they get to college. College may be a refreshing change for you.

I hope some of what I said helps. Don't let them get the best of you.

• Like 2

Solid - what kind of community are you living in ?? It sounds like you have a real complex about the color of your skin! I am brown as well and I do not feel insecure about the colour of my skin. In fact, I've had nothing but compliments about it and the girls I am friends with go out of their way to go tanning to get the same colour as I am!

It sounds like you are surrounded by the wrong people. Maybe its because I live in a city that is completely multi-cultural so I have never felt out of place. In fact, I've always felt proud of my ethnicity and I can crack jokes about it, and I find it amusing being asked all the time where I am from.

Do you realize how, eh, hipocrite you sound?

I'm from Mexico, I'm an IT engineer and work on the IT industry, most of my coleages are brown (white people are the minority, but no one cares here), and I'm disgusted by the display of racism in your own post.

So maybe, if you want to avoid racism, you should start by not being racist.

By the way, most of my coleages, that are lucky enough to be in the US, are not native americans, most of them are brown, and all of them are making more than 100K a year. I don't see how being brown relegated them to physical labor, but I can see how a narrow mindset might get you to that position.

I have a similar background as the majority of my family is white and I am the only brown person in my immediate family. I learned a long time ago that you can fight the way the world is or you can accept it. I dont believe that it is right that people have a bias but there is nothing you can do about them but be an exception. If you let yourself fail because of these issues then you have to realize that you let this happen and you cannot blame anyone but yourself. You can use the opportunities you have or you can let them deteriorate.

You guys dont understand its not only the color of your skin, its the facial features etc etc the dark dark black hair. I live in Miami, and its very multicultural but I guess i realized how people view the world. Unfortuentealty, most people dont think about brown people like you do, they see it as a social-economic/racist thing. And people go tanning not because they want to be brown , tanning makes you look good because you become tan not brown, and yes there is a HUGE difference. Being tan is different then being a piece of s**t brown color. No one will ever understand. Yes im bi-racial you could say like most of the 2nd generation here in miami, im israeli/columbian and jewish. Ive NEVER met anyone who isnt surprised when i say im jewish, most people say i look arab or indian or something. Sometimes i just feel like killing myself, I probably will one day. How ill i ever go out with a white woman, and a real nice classy woman.. they dont accept my color at all. Maybe some people do, but not the majority.I can guarantee if i ever apply for a high position, i will be rejected due to the color of my skin. Sometimes i dont blame whites for hating non-whites, think about it from there perspective.. for real try it. Its hard to live in a world where the color of your face makes an immediate political statement.

Miami? Forgive me if I am wrong, but isn't the Miami full of Latinos and Cubans? Do the people around you act disgusted every time they see a brown person? You think they would be used to it by now.

After reading your last post it sounds like a lot of this is in your head. People probably aren't as disgusted as you think they are.

Solid - what kind of community are you living in ?? It sounds like you have a real complex about the color of your skin! I am brown as well and I do not feel insecure about the colour of my skin. In fact, I've had nothing but compliments about it and the girls I am friends with go out of their way to go tanning to get the same colour as I am!

It sounds like you are surrounded by the wrong people. Maybe its because I live in a city that is completely multi-cultural so I have never felt out of place. In fact, I've always felt proud of my ethnicity and I can crack jokes about it, and I find it amusing being asked all the time where I am from.

when you crack jokes about the color of your skin your making fun of your self. I used to do that but i realized people just view you as a person who accepts your defect of being a human being.

You guys dont understand its not only the color of your skin, its the facial features etc etc the dark dark black hair. Being tan is different then being a piece of s**t brown color. No one will ever understand

Man, you have a problem.

Have you discussed this with other brown people?

They may understand.

I was just thinking of all the brown folks I talked with today in So Cal.

I grew up among brown folks. My nieces and nephews have little black and brown kids. I'm white, but I don't share your loathing.

Miami? Forgive me if I am wrong, but isn't the Miami full of Latinos and Cubans? Do the people around you act disgusted every time they see a brown person? You think they would be used to it by now.

After reading your last post it sounds like a lot of this is in your head. People probably aren't as disgusted as you think they are.

I used to think it was in my head till i realized how everyone around me including my family and friends would mention things about or say a joke about it. Like this morning, my mom and I were flipping thru old pictures and we came accross a picture of me when i was 3 years old. She said

" Wow look how white you used to be, i still dont understand how you became the muslim brown you look like now". Im aware my mom is ignorant.

You guys dont understand its not only the color of your skin, its the facial features etc etc the dark dark black hair. I live in Miami, and its very multicultural but I guess i realized how people view the world. Unfortuentealty, most people dont think about brown people like you do, they see it as a social-economic/racist thing.

Well...I think I get it.

From a spanish perspective...not all spanish people feel this way, but I know that on my father's side... lighter is always better. I have friends who's mother's would tell them to keep out of the sun, so that they wouldn't get too dark. It's not a good feeling, when your own parent is bothered by you getting darker. My own mom would do the same to me and her parents were darker than me!

But honestly...I've lived in Miami and I'm brown. I didn't have a problem. Most of the people there are brown. I think maybe the people who surround you, have put way too many negative thoughts into your head.

Since when is it a bad thing to be latin, or indian, or black? I used to be offended by comments like that also, until I realized that there is nothing to be offended about. And how can you refer to your color like this:

Being tan is different then being a piece of s**t brown color.

That is such an offensive and degrading comment.

Man, you have a problem.

Have you discussed this with other brown people?

They may understand.

I was just thinking of all the brown folks I talked with today in So Cal.

I grew up among brown folks. My nieces and nephews have little black and brown kids. I'm white, but I don't share your loathing.

because you grew up around it, you learned to accept it when you were young and did not know the difference. Unfortuenatly most people arent as privileged as you to understand brown people like me. For example, i would never be able to live in a place like Iowa or a dominantnly white area without experienceing heavy racism an criticism. I wish i was dead, being brown sucks in todays world.

I do understand how you feel. I am Asian and I spent the last 15 years living in the Midwest in a state that is predominantly white. I do remember going home with friends to small towns where I was the ONLY non-white person there, and there were some interesting stereotypes about Asians going around.

Sometimes, you just got to deal with it and dont let it bother you. There will always be people who judge you based on skin color or other nonsensical things, but that is NOT what defines you and people do understand that. There is ignorance all over, but you can be better than that and NOT let it bother you.

I grew up in LA (very multicultural) and moved out to Wisconsin for 15 years. It was a eye-opening 15 years, but I got used to it and even learned to like it, despite it being so non-culturally integrated.

im degrading myself because my color is a defection of human beings. The worst part about being brown is nevermind id start a racist argument here. You wanna know a funny story. This has happened to me twice the same scenario. Whenever i travel, i always go with my faily. So once we were going thru security check, and the offical there stopped me and said we have to do a random security check ( lol what BS), and then my dad said i was with the family, and the offical was like ohh ok, you just fit the profile of a suspected terrorist. They are not supposed to say that, but he did, in front of me and my family. This has happened to me twice, being degraded to a piece of crap because of your color in front of your loved ones

Well, there are two things you can do... You can go on beating yourself up and lowering your self esteem over something as superficial as skin color (and something you have no control over...)

Or you can accept it and rise above everyone elses ignorance. It is your decision.

Thats the thing, the only way to take care of this problem is too accept that other people view you as inferior to them because of the color of your skin

because you grew up around it, you learned to accept it when you were young and did not know the difference. Unfortuenatly most people arent as privileged as you to understand brown people like me. For example, i would never be able to live in a place like Iowa or a dominantnly white area without experienceing heavy racism an criticism. I wish i was dead, being brown sucks in todays world.

You want to leave Miami for Iowa and raise corn?

• Like 1

I am from an area in the North East that is predominantly white. I also attend a University that many people consider snobbish, or waspy. (Honestly, the product of ignorance in my opinion, but anyway ...) What I wanted to say is that I have not seen any racism or criticism, and none of my brown or black friends have ever said anything about it to me.

I think you may be projecting your own insecurities and self-hatred onto others. I could give you a bunch of examples of x black/brown person doing this, but I don't think that would help. Do you honestly think that you experience discrimination on a daily basis? Could you give an example?

you see how many people of brown complexion have posted things that agree with what i am saying. No i will not post a picture of myself because everybody will jusy say positive things rather then the truth. No one knows how i feel about this issue in my life, so no1 knows about my personal self image regarding being brown except maybe my father is slightly aware because he knows that as a child in summer camp i was once called the mexican.... and im sure that is what probably sparked the issue and what traumitized and made me realize how horrible it is to be brown