How do you tell when a shy guy likes you?

Pheonixpassion84

I've been interested in this guy for quite a while and having a hard time telling if he's interested or not. The hard thing is that he's really shy and not very outgoing. I catch him looking at me sometimes.. but it's not like eyes contact. Like this one time I saw him and he turned his head and stared in my direction... I thought he might've been looking at someone else but then I realized no one else was around me or him. I've never had much experience with shy guys, I guess they kind of confuse me. But this one guy brought me to the question: How do you tell when a shy guy likes you?

What do you all think?

Just find an oppurtunity and go talk to him. Just remember, though, that you're going to have to do almost all the talking for a while, because he is going to be so out of his element, and so nervous, that most of his responses will be barely audible three word or less sentences. So don't ask him any open ended questions and expect to get a longwinded response. Being shy, he's probably a pretty good listener, so just sit down and talk to him for a while, and eventually, once he gets a little more comfortable with you, he'll open up.

A shy guy would most likely deny any such feelings, so even then, she probably would have little clue.

And if the guy told the girl he "liked" her, then he would no longer be shy, as far as I am concerned. (Albeit, that is a very STUPID move. A guy should NEVER tell a woman he likes her; ever. Maybe after they've gotten married or something. lol)

I've been interested in this guy for quite a while and having a hard time telling if he's interested or not. The hard thing is that he's really shy and not very outgoing. I catch him looking at me sometimes.. but it's not like eyes contact. Like this one time I saw him and he turned his head and stared in my direction... I thought he might've been looking at someone else but then I realized no one else was around me or him. I've never had much experience with shy guys, I guess they kind of confuse me. But this one guy brought me to the question: How do you tell when a shy guy likes you?

What do you all think?

Unfortunately, there's nothing in your description of him that suggests that he has a romantic interest in you, and the fact that he's shy, you may never find out, unless of course *you* initiate some type of flirtation. What I can assure you however, is that your passivity will effectively produce, zero results.

I say go out on a limb, and make your interest known!

He stares at you that's a good sign. talk to him , he's probably too shy to initiate a conversation but is dying for you to say something to him.

agreed. if you catch him staring at you and turning his head when you look in his direction, then you're 95% sure he likes you. Go talk to him and you'll see how quiet he'll be at first. The next time you talk with him will be much better. Trust me -- personal experience of a shy guy.

There's this girl who wears glasses at work that is really cute, and I wanna get to know her. I am too shy to initiate a conversation with her. Whenever she walks past me, I can never look her in the face, or if I do, it's usually a very neutral expression. I usually have my back facing her as my work desk is directly opposite hers, so I can't even give her subtle glances..

Any ideas on how I could grab her attention?

PS - picture yourself as the girl, and me as the shy guy; that's my answer to your thread question.

For one thing, you can let the words flow out of your mouth and intiate a conversation. Put yourself out there. If not then she wont notice you. Just look at it this way, if you don't take your chances with her now then you might lose her forever to some other lucky guy that could have been you. Shyness is just another battle in life that we have to conquer. Don't let it dictate your life. It's wise to climb one mountain at a time.

Muster up the courage to get to know her. If you don't give it a shot then you will never know if she is the one or not. I mean you're in an advantageous position because she is right behind you which gives you one on one time with her. Well, one of the best way to break the ice is to utilize humor. Best of luck to you.

Taking a risk, going up to her and saying "Hey" is a great start.

But before you can even do that, you must work on yourself first. You need to bolster your confidence level before you can approach any women. If you can't look them in the eye, for whatever reason, then you are not yet ready to be approaching women.

So start with confidence, then begin to work your way up to approaching women. But maybe the first thing you need to do is understand WHY you are so insecure and lacking in confidence?

So, I ask you: Why are you so lacking in confidence with women? What do you think?

I can never look her in the face, or if I do, it's usually a very neutral expression

What does neutral expression mean?.I think i may have someone who does this to me.

could be anything, but let me tell you, I am afraid to smile often! I usually give a neutral expression to girls I find attractive. So please don't give up!

What do you all think?

This is one of the obvious answers to your question: When you catch them looking at you, but they look away quickly when you catch them.

That's like #1 on the list of signs to see when a shy person likes you!

In your case? He was probably looking directly at you before you saw him, but he got ready to, and actually did, move his eyes away from you the second he expected you to look at him; he didn't want to move his head the total opposite way, because then it'd look too obvious that he was checking you out. That'd totally 'blow his cover' then. lol This is most likely why he was looking in your direction, but not directly at you, when your eyes caught him.

If you're interested in a shy person, but don't know whether they're interested in you or not, then you should go up to them and start a conversation with them; maybe not something direct, like "Hey, I know you like me; I've caught you looking at me!" lol

But rather something to do with what you're doing at the moment. If you're at work, sitting at your desk, have a bunch of papers (or any other objects) around you? Drop a bunch on the floor near you (make sure no ones around, so they don't trip!), and just say "oops"; maybe this'll make the person overcome their shyness to help you out!

If not, then say something aloud concerning your [supposed] clumsiness. They might come out and say "Oh, don't say that about yourself, everyone makes mistakes!"

When you make a mistake around a shy person, it gives them more comfort in knowing you're not as "perfect" as they're assuming you are. This'll show that you're human, as they are. It's almost like shy people look at people they like as if they're on a higher level than them. As if the shy person is a lower class of being, or something. Low self-esteem is such a bad thing.

Try to create a situation that'd almost force them into an innocent little conversation. This'll make it more natural, rather than textbook.

I think some shy people are shy, because they put themselves under pressure, thinking they won't do things right according to what they assume is textbook correct. But natural things come to them more easily (as they do all of us...), so create a natural conversation! Usually, this is possible by doing something natural... like making a mistake.

• 1 year later...

He certainly likes you. It is his shyness that prevents him from making it clear to you that he likes you since he fears you'd actually reject him or some other reason. It's unknown territory for him, so you definitely have to keep at it until he comes around or he will not come out of his shell.

What do you all think?

I did this to a girl one time, I thought I knew her/ she looked some what familer. She went crazy for me, but I missed out on the opportunity to talk to her because I was busy. In the end, she never knew anything about me besides my name ](*,)

For you I would need more info. Is the guy "normal"? He might just be spacing out or something.

The best way to tell if a shy guy likes you is the whole look at you but then as soon as you realise they look away or pretend they were looking at someone else near you. Trust me on this, i used to be stupidly shy, and i guess i still am just not as bad as i used to be. My advice would be to drop hints that you like them, the girl i currently like dropped hints n i finally got the message that she liked me aswell. The one thing that i really remember her saying was asking wat id do if i found out her or one of her friends liked me (a weird convo lead up to that, dont ask), an also leading up to that she would say that she saw me as more than just some guy who shes friends with and that she always seem invisible to the ppl she likes.

So just try and drop hints and if they dont get the hints, just go for it and tell them you like em, whats the worst that could happen?

• 2 years later...
If I like a girl I generally avoid her. Which is rediculously dumb , so this post has been totally and utterly pointless really.

Jaffa - I really would like to know more about what you think.. I have a shy guy interested in me.. I was so confused when he appeared to completely ignore me while standing next to me, but the minute I gave up, walked away, turned to talk to my friends etc, I would spot him out of the corner of my eye pining over me with massive puppy eyes and staring endlessly, so he would forget what he was doing like in a romantic daze!! This was very flattering but also very upsetting.. I am secure in myself so finally figured out that, like Phoenixp'84 he DOES like me.., he is just so shy, lacking in confidence and struggling to believe I would like him back, that he completely falls to pieces when I am near him and you can see him having an inner battle with himself to speak to me, then tapping something with his fingers as the cogs in his brain turn over and over, probably beating himself up trying to work out the perfect thing to say, when all I want him to do is ask me: how I am! That's it. I can answer that question a hundred different ways & take the pressure off him big time!! But he is so scared to even approach me & goes to great lengths to avoid me yet I get this burning sensation in the back of my head (obviously not literally!!) and I know he is staring at me again, every time the same.. I have smilled at him and engaged in indirect conversations with his acquaintances, to put him at ease.. This has definitely opened him up, because the last thing I said was to defend him from somebody giving him a smart-a**e answer that was effectively putting him down.. it was genuine and I know for sure I didn't emasculate him in anyway, I just got annoyed this person thought he was stupid just because he is shy.. I am shy too (though better at hiding it! ).

I would love to know what you think about what I else I can do to put him at ease other than smiling and making eye contact without staring because I know for definite he likes me. You may also be ablet to comment on the theory that even a shy guy - if he really likes you - will find a way to pluck up the courage to ask a girl/woman out eventually.. I tend to agree with this and think that the problem is in this day and age, me included, a lot of people can be very impatient and not realise that shy = take it slowly, I mean snail's pace slowly!!

+ to Phoenixp'84 - my experience of a shy guy liking you is he will be very talkative around everybody else but you, he will stare and then look away when you look at him - 9 times out of 10 and often appear aloof & send out confusing signals that appear to be saying he doesn't like you, because he is in serious denial about his feelings!

A shy guy would most likely deny any such feelings, so even then, she probably would have little clue.

Sad but true. I agree with this 100%!

And if the guy told the girl he "liked" her, then he would no longer be shy, as far as I am concerned. (Albeit, that is a very STUPID move. A guy should NEVER tell a woman he likes her; ever. Maybe after they've gotten married or something. lol)

Why Kev????

Archived