Christmas gifts for the future in-laws?

pregnantkitty_1985

Okay, I'm on a very strict budget for one. That is, if I'm even APPROVED for this Rewards 660 credit card. Otherwise, I will be broke and not be able to buy a single thing.

But assuming I do receive this card, I will have a $50 limit. (They charge ridiculous start up fees of $250, leaving you with $50 in credit. But apparently my credit is 'limited' and no credit is better than any credit. It's the only unsecured card I am able to get.)

So, if I do have $50, would I need to buy my future in-laws individual gifts? I know my man's mom is getting us both something together, and he mentioned his brother said something about getting me something too. Well, as much as I would like to get them all individual gifts to show that I'm a good future in-law, I won't be able to afford it.

Would it be acceptable to give them one whole collective gift? Like a family gift basket with some sort of home-made holiday treat and other stuff? I have some excellent cookie recipes and all, and enough skill to dress up a cheap dollar store basket to look nice & fancy. Perhaps not entirely original, but better than giving them nothing at all, right?

What is everyone's opinion?

I think doing a homemade gift basket would be a great idea. The fact that you bothered to go through the trouble to do anything at all, let alone spend hours (or whatever) baking, will mean a lot to his parents, mother especially I'm sure. I'm not sure about where you live, but there are several stores by me that sell AMAZING homemade preserves and salsas and all sorts of other stuff that I give people for gifts. Everyone always raves about them... I just googled it and managed to find their website. I would imagine you can order from it: link removed

Sorry, one more thing: it looks like they have recipes on their site too...perhaps try one of those since the baskets and such are a little pricey?

Also, I've tried many of their products (in stores, they have everything out for samples), so if you're interested and want to know how something is, let me know. The cherry stuff is amazing. Not so fond of the apricot stuff...

If you want a very simple, not too time consuming thing to make that requires a few hours of effort, will win you mega points as a future wife, and which everyone will to some extent appreciate: cookies. A couple plates of cookies, and you will be loved.

If you already are having financial difficulties I would strongly recomend you stay away from credit cards.

Its like asking for credit problems.

You should only buy with what you can afford to spend, its the thought that counts. Maybe make them a gift basket yourself with fresh baked cookies in it of a variety.

Sorry, one more thing: it looks like they have recipes on their site too...perhaps try one of those since the baskets and such are a little pricey?

Also, I've tried many of their products (in stores, they have everything out for samples), so if you're interested and want to know how something is, let me know. The cherry stuff is amazing. Not so fond of the apricot stuff...

Thank you Jen4413, for the advice and website. I'm definitely going to check it out. I don't think there's a store near me but I could order from the site; plus I'm definitely going to check out those recipes. I think the cherry stuff is a good idea.. because I could incorporate them into this recipe I have for Sunday cookies.. (you have to use cherries in them.)

If you already are having financial difficulties I would strongly recomend you stay away from credit cards.

Its like asking for credit problems.

You should only buy with what you can afford to spend, its the thought that counts. Maybe make them a gift basket yourself with fresh baked cookies in it of a variety.

Well, I'm aware of that, and you're right. This is why I got a card for a very small limit. It's also a way to rebuild my credit. Though, my credit isn't horrifically bad or anything, it's just that I don't have a lot, and I have one, just one little outstanding doctor's bill, which is why my credit isn't exactly great. So I'm not one of those sorts who spend, spend spend, and end up in terrible debt. Luckily. I think the $50 limit is right for me. I appreciate your advice. I like the idea of a variety of cookies.. Bright, festive looking, and it shows that I worked to make something special.

An ex of mine came over for a holiday, Easter, with bread that she baked in 2001, I think. It was great bread, a cylindrical loaf that was moist and glazed a golden brown. My family remembers. Someone in my family will still mention it at least once every six months. Make cookies, they will love you for them.

I have a FANTASTIC recipe for double-frosted brownies if you're interested. The first layer is a from-scratch brownie. The next layer is a whipped-butter frosting dyed with red or green food dye (to be festive!) and the top layer is a bitter-sweet chocolate layer.... they are amazing and look really nice once cut.

If the family all lives under one roof it makes it alot easier too. You are young so I am sure they don't expect you to buy alot for them. Cookies and all that are great ideas. Make cookies that you have to put alot of work into like gingerbread men with all the decorations.

If you end up short on time though, you can get a boardgame for under $50 that is always a good gift for a family. Get them the latest edition of monopoly or something. Cranium is a good game too

Since I have some extra time, I figured I'd post the recipe anyways.

Double Frosted Brownies:

Ingredients:

1 box Baker's chocolate unsweetened chocolate squares

1lb butter + 1/2 stick

2C sugar + 4TBSP

4C confectioner's sugar

4 eggs

1 1/2C flour

vanilla extract, milk

Melt 1/2lb butter and 4 squares of chocolate over medium heat. Add 2C sugar and stir until dissolved.

One at a time, beat in 4 eggs. Add 2tsp of vanilla and 1 1/2C flour.

Bake in 13x19" pan (greased) at 325*F for 25-30min. Cool.

Frosting:

Mix to a spreadable consistency: 4C confectioner's sugar, 1C butter (1/2lb), 2tsp vanilla extract and about 2tbsp of milk. Add food coloring if desired.

Top layer:

Melt 4 squares chocolate, 4tbsp butter (1/2 stick), 4tbsp sugar together. Pour over brownies.

Refrigerate to harden chocolate.

Warm to room temp before cutting.

An ex of mine came over for a holiday, Easter, with bread that she baked in 2001, I think. It was great bread, a cylindrical loaf that was moist and glazed a golden brown. My family remembers. Someone in my family will still mention it at least once every six months. Make cookies, they will love you for them.

Oooooh, nice. Sadly I don't know how to make bread, but I do know how to make cookies. Did presentation matter or was it just the fact that she baked something great? I was thinking a bit of both would charm them, because I like to get creative.. something which I could incorporate into the cookies, as well. You know, now I'm thinking maybe I should learn how to make bread as well. It would be a lovely addition to the cookies and I know a lady in the neighborhood that could probably show me.

If the family all lives under one roof it makes it alot easier too. You are young so I am sure they don't expect you to buy alot for them. Cookies and all that are great ideas. Make cookies that you have to put alot of work into like gingerbread men with all the decorations.

If you end up short on time though, you can get a boardgame for under $50 that is always a good gift for a family. Get them the latest edition of monopoly or something. Cranium is a good game too

Oooh, gingerbread cookies, good idea. Now I'm thinking a mix of decorated gingerbread cookies, chocolate chip cookies, sunday cookies, bread, and those brownies listed below. A boardgame would be an excellent idea but I still have other people to buy for to, and the last time I went to a store and looked at boardgames they were like $20! They can keep 'em, hehe.

Oooh. oooh. What if I made a gingerbread HOUSE? Oooooh and made it all fancy...!

Since I have some extra time, I figured I'd post the recipe anyways.

Double Frosted Brownies:

Ingredients:

1 box Baker's chocolate unsweetened chocolate squares

1lb butter + 1/2 stick

2C sugar + 4TBSP

4C confectioner's sugar

4 eggs

1 1/2C flour

vanilla extract, milk

Melt 1/2lb butter and 4 squares of chocolate over medium heat. Add 2C sugar and stir until dissolved.

One at a time, beat in 4 eggs. Add 2tsp of vanilla and 1 1/2C flour.

Bake in 13x19" pan (greased) at 325*F for 25-30min. Cool.

Frosting:

Mix to a spreadable consistency: 4C confectioner's sugar, 1C butter (1/2lb), 2tsp vanilla extract and about 2tbsp of milk. Add food coloring if desired.

Top layer:

Melt 4 squares chocolate, 4tbsp butter (1/2 stick), 4tbsp sugar together. Pour over brownies.

Refrigerate to harden chocolate.

Warm to room temp before cutting.

That is such a brilliant idea, thank you! I will most definitely make those, and keep some for myself. Heh heh heeh. I think if I go all out with the baked goods and stuff, it will show that even though I may not of had a lot of money, I still put time and effort into it and made lots of cool stuff.

Oooooh, nice. Sadly I don't know how to make bread, but I do know how to make cookies. Did presentation matter or was it just the fact that she baked something great? I was thinking a bit of both would charm them, because I like to get creative.. something which I could incorporate into the cookies, as well. You know, now I'm thinking maybe I should learn how to make bread as well. It would be a lovely addition to the cookies and I know a lady in the neighborhood that could probably show me.

Cookies are enough. One loaf of bread was enough for my family. A plate of cookies by itself would be enough for them. I would go for taste first of all. A beautiful cookie with the texture of a hockey puck might not get you raves. A lump of a chocolate chip which was delicious might. So, taste first, then worry about appearance.

Worry about the bread at a future time.

Cookies are enough. One loaf of bread was enough for my family. A plate of cookies by itself would be enough for them. I would go for taste first of all. A beautiful cookie with the texture of a hockey puck might not get you raves. A lump of a chocolate chip which was delicious might. So, taste first, then worry about appearance.

Worry about the bread at a future time.

Cool, that will shave some time (and worrying) off. I'll try my best to make the cookies delicious. I think I'm gonna make cookies and then make the recipe Jen posted above, cut it in half when it's done and save some for my own family, and put the other half in the basket with the abundance of cookies (just for a bit of variety.) If I made a million different things it would probably be overdoing it and would also put me over my credit limit before I even started.

Thanks for the great advice everyone!

• 5 years later...

Archived