"A hot guy won't dump his girl until he finds a new one." True or False?

vermilion

I have a crush on this guy and I found out from a friend of his he's already taken. But the friend said I should flirt with him anyway as he thinks the guy likes me and isn't all that into his current girlfriend.

I was completely put-off by this statement!

I mean, it seems so wrong to hit on a guy who has a girlfriend (even though many girls do this it's still wrong! )

And why would I want to go out with a guy who would string me along until he finds someone better?

I told him he was talking bollocks but he stuck to his theory and said, "A hot guy won't dump his girl until he finds a new one."

But I wonder...maybe it's impossible to avoid guys who do this because all of them do it. Maybe I haven't realized that I've gone out with guys who dumped their girlfriend so fast they didn't have time to change the sheets?

Maybe my ex dumped me for that other girl but had been bored with me for a while. It makes me so mad! How can you treat someone that way?

So, guys, maybe even girls, do you start dating or looking for other people before you dump your girlfriend/boyfriend?

Interesting question...but I am sure there is some truth to it.

I wouldn't generalize and say ALL men or ALL women do this...but

I think it's human nature to not want to be alone...and this is a huge fear for some people. I am not sure if people consciously do it.......or if they premeditate it. Hard to say really,

So, guys, maybe even girls, do you start dating or looking for other people before you dump your girlfriend/boyfriend?

When I was in a relationship and looking, it was normally a factor of me not really wanting to be in it. So, if things are good in my relationship, I am not looking for a new one.

However, I may still talk to a woman and flirt with her, but there are limtis to that too. I attached, but I'm not dead.

I dont believe the statement or theory is accurate, I believe that there are some men and women out there who do not move on from one relationship until they have another lined up. These people are typically insecure and always need to have a gf or bf otherwise they dont feel wanted.

I believe that the theory is unsound because if the guy was truly hot then he is wanted by many girls and he should have no problem getting a new gf or dating many of the girls that like him because he is "hot".

I think you were right re your friend talking bollocks, and completely agree with the others here (and LOL about 'ladder people', although who's to say they're moving up? )

I have known average looking guys and girls who do this - there is ALWAYS an overlap. For some it must be an insecurity thing, they are afraid of being alone. For others I think it's a boredom/ego thing - they get bored with the current, then someone else comes along and schmoozes them and they find that more appealing.

I think ladder people are either very lucky (to have so many to choose from) or indiscriminate. I'm not sure they are worth bothering with though, if you come accross one, unless you too are just out for the next 'rung' (i'm sure that could sound dirty if you say it right). This seems a shallow relationship approach to take, not to mention thoughtless and wrong if there is a genuine cheating overlap.

Take heart vermillion, it's certainly possible to avoid guys who do this.

Yeah, I guess it isn't just hot guys who do this, sorry if I offended anyone. I was just quoting his friend.

Take heart vermillion, it's certainly possible to avoid guys who do this.

Well, I don't know. I'm a little nervous that one of these days I'll end up going out with some guy who I think is single and then his girlfriend he hasn't dumped yet will find out and beat the crap out of me.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

We don't all do it.

I have dated more than 1 girl at a time. No BF/GF. Then when I got serious about one of them, I stopped dating the others.

Simple as that.

I will agree though, that when you are dating more than one girl, it makes it easier to handle your emotions with them all. ;-)