Is the first day of spotting considered day 1 of your period?

pregnantkitty_1985

I'm confused again. Because on link removed, it says count Day One of your period as the first day it's flowing, not just spotting.

Well going by the 28 day cycle length, my period was due to start yesterday (if I'm one of those with a 28 day cycle.) Well it did. It was just blood spotting, you know (like when you wipe, you see blood.. not trying to be nasty, but you girls know what I mean.) Not enough for a tampon, just a light panty shield.

Well, today it's a flow rather than spotting. Do I count today as my first day on my period or yesterday?? I never heard before that you don't count blood spotting as being your first day on your period, I always heard that it's considered 'light flow' and you're still on your period.

I know, it's kinda sad that at 21 years old I still don't know any of this stuff.

I agree with MS - I would count the first day you see blood as the first day. However, as long as you're regular it shouldn't matter that much (I remember you are trying to get pregnant) - your ovulation calculation will just be an estimate anyway, and give or take 24 hrs should not matter since sperm have a long "shelf life".

great question, I spotted on Friday July 7, but wasn't in full-flow until July 9. So my due date is either 13-April or 15-April (Tax day in the US). YUCK. I want to be due any day but Tax day. ILK!!! BTW, I asked my doctor about that this past week and he said the first day is the first day of flow, which I took to exclude spotting.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Women are often unsure of the significance of spotting. They think that the spotting signals the start of their period, and count the spotting as Day 1. Actually, the spotting is pre-menstrual spotting, and should be ignored. Only the start of a proper flow is considered to be Day 1. If they miscalculate, they end up mis-charting their entire cycle, and get frustrated and confused. To make a bad situation worse, they are reluctant to ask their doctor about this, because they feel that this is basic knowledge,which every women should know, and they don't want to ask "stupid " questions.

Women are often unsure of the significance of spotting. They think that the spotting signals the start of their period, and count the spotting as Day 1. Actually, the spotting is pre-menstrual spotting, and should be ignored. Only the start of a proper flow is considered to be Day 1. If they miscalculate, they end up mis-charting their entire cycle, and get frustrated and confused. To make a bad situation worse, they are reluctant to ask their doctor about this, because they feel that this is basic knowledge,which every women should know, and they don't want to ask "stupid " questions.

Actually I've always considered my early 'spotting' as Day 1 and thus far (have been off BC for a few months now) have been on a regular cycle.

Archived