Growing a beard...

Alabama

It really depends on the individual. I have english/polish blood in me, and my beard/mo grows pretty quickly.

I have a friend of coatian descent, and it seems to take him about two weeks to grow what I could in two days. Maybe sooner.

Most asian people seem to have little/slow facial hair-growth also.

Don't let time discourage you - everyone is different. Just let it grow, and I'm sure you'll be trimming it back in no time

It depends on the man. How old you are, how healthy, your ancestry, and probably other things I'm not thinking of. Now I'll use myself as an example.

Much of my ancestry is from the Artic far North of Western Europe, and the rest from Northwestern Europe (50% Finnish, 25% Danish, 12.5% English, 12.5% Scotch-Iris). So I'm genetically programmed to grow whiskers at a furious pace. I can have a clean shave in the morning, and rough stubble by evening. If I want to socially go out at night, I have to shave a second time before I go out, if I want a smooth face.

I know some women say they like a little fuzz, but what about 50 grit sand paper?

I can grow a short, but respectable length auburn brown beard in one week that feels like a brillow pad. In two weeks I have a medium length strawberry blonde beard that is soft. In four weeks I have a long, curly orange talibeard that is rough again and scratchy like a terrier's fur. I have super tough whiskers and baby soft skin. A terrible combination because I then can't lay my head on a pillow at night because the rough beard p*r*i*c*k*l*e*s my soft facial skin and feels like I'm sleeping on a pile of thistles and thorns. I hate having a beard.

But I can grow a decent beard in a week. A good beard in 2 weeks. A ridiculously bushy, long, curly beard in 3 to 4 weeks. That's me.

I know for many men it typically takes 3 to 4 weeks to have a decent beard and up to 8 weeks to have a good beard. Other men can never grow a beard.

As a general rule, white men grow beards better than most others. The colder the climate your ancestors are from, the more beard you can grow. Those are generally true statements, but individuals may be exceptions.

I wish I didn't grow whiskers at all. It'd be much more convenient not to.

I can grow one in 3.5 days. I have to shave sometimes twice a day. On top of that, my face is very sensitive so every time I shave I get razor burns. It all depends on your heritage and hormones.

With all due respect, I think that's impossible. I grow whiskers as fast as the fastest whisker growers I've ever met. It takes me a week for a respectable beard. I don't see how you could possibly have a respectable beard in 3.5 days. If you do, then call the Guiness Book of World Records. Also, if you do, then I feel sorry for you. I personally hate having whiskers.

Perhaps the disrepency is that you said "beard", and I said "respectable beard"? It takes me a week to grow a reasonably good looking, respectable beard. How long does it take you for it to look respectably good? It's not an official beard until it looks reasonably good with full coverage and sufficient length. Until then, it's just a nasty case of stubble.

How long does it take you for it to look respectably good?

It's 1/4 of an inch after one week. Half of that time would be 3.5 days and by then it's enough to cover my face. Not a full beard though, you're right. I wish I could, maybe I'd win some money. It would probably take me two weeks to get a "full beard". I shave in the morning, and by noon I have stubble. By evening I get the 5 o'clock shadow. I wish I could use a men's version of Nair and never have to shave again.

• 13 years later...
It really depends on the individual. I have english/polish blood in me, and my beard/mo grows pretty quickly.

I have a friend of coatian descent, and it seems to take him about two weeks to grow what I could in two days. Maybe sooner.

Most asian people seem to have little/slow facial hair-growth also.

Don't let time discourage you - everyone is different. Just let it grow, and I'm sure you'll be trimming it back in no time

That's right, it varies from person to person. Generally speaking, the beard said that the growth of beard will go through 5 stages. If you clearly understand the growth cycle of the beard, this will greatly benefit the growth of the beard.

Archived