Hi everyone,

Kinda of embarrassing, but since my doctor is completely useless...

I have an anal skin tag (growth of skin) right at the entrance of my bum. I had it checked by a doctor last year who confirmed this. At the time it was only a tiny lump, so not of much concern. Since last year the skin tag has grown to the size of say, a kidney bean. It constantly rubs, swells and bleeds, but most of all it is terribley TERRIBLEY uncomfortable! I can feel it standing up, sitting down ALL the time. It's driving me insane, it's even impared my sleeping, because I can't get comfortable.

So, I went back to the doctor. He gave me some cream that he thought might make it more comfortable. It didn't.

I went back to see the doctor. I need it removed, it's really that simple it's causing me a lot of distress. The doctor then wanted to examine it again, for which I had to make ANOTHER appointment because doctors now need a nurse present when looking at a woman's 'bits'.

So I go back today and this is what I got:

"Yes it's a skin tag, it's quite small. Don't worry the bleeding is perfectly normal. It's just uncomfortable for you. You will have it all your life ok." When the nurse buts in and says "So you better learn to love it!"

What the... so it's not enough that it bleeds, causes me absolute misery and discomfort?

I left crying my eyes out. I've put up with the discomfort for so long. It's driving me insane.

I live in the UK. We have something called the NHS (National Health Service) which is paid by our taxes. So basically I don't pay any doctor directly unless I go private. This is just ridiculous, that they do not want to do a thing about my problem unless it is the size of my head! This is so utterly typical of the UK health system. Give drug addicts meds free, give out anti-depressants like candy, give 13 year old girls abortions... but don't remove something that is causing me serious discomfort because they class it as COSMETIC?

I'm really really upset by this whole thing. I'm now going to have to look into having it removed privately, which will cost a fortune I'm guessing. So if anyone could give me some advice I'd be so very grateful.

Also another thing, I've been having heavy discharge from my vagina for years now. I know some is normal, but I have to wear sanity pads all the time. I've had a smear test and an STD test but they came back clear. I've had constant stinging when peeing I had a urinary test, which came back clear. The doctor told me to come off the contaception pill to see if that solves my problem. I know this isn't the cause, since I've been off the pill and had the same problem. I've been told by the doctor to come back for yet ANOTHER appointment to see about that.

I'm feeling so run down by all this and very worried.

This sounds a bit unprofessional to me. I have it too, but not as bad as you do, it's really small, but it can be so uncomfortable. People who really suffer from it need an operation to have it removed, it's not a very uncommon procedure! And not a difficult one as well. This is not cosmetic at ALL. First of all, tags can get infected and the infection can move inside if not taken care of, and second of all... in my book, cosmetic has to do with things you are visually uncomfortable with. Who on earth worries about how their anus looks?

I also don't see how the pill would cause this. The only thing I can recommend you if you have no further treatment from your doctors: use Sperti (I don't know if it's the same in the UK), and take care that you eat a lot of fibres to make things 'pass' more easily. Clean afterwards with a soft towel with camomilla. Also hydrophobic creams like Nestosyl help, but don't use it if the area dries out too much.

If it stays this way, go for a second opinion. I think that would not affect the insurance thing, commonly everyone has the right for a second opinion if I am correct.

Ilse

I'm not sure about this, but can't you get treated for free or low cost in other EU countries being insured in britain ? If that's the case you can just take the eurotunnel and do that...

Also you should have that doctor and nurse reported for making fun of your serious problem..

If it stays this way, go for a second opinion. I think that would not affect the insurance thing, commonly everyone has the right for a second opinion if I am correct.

I think that's the best thing you can do. You do have a right to get a second opinion under NHS. I'm sure any doctor you see is going to be better than the one you have now.

"Yes it's a skin tag, it's quite small. Don't worry the bleeding is perfectly normal. It's just uncomfortable for you. You will have it all your life ok." When the nurse buts in and says "So you better learn to love it!"

That's just obnoxious forthem to say!

In this modern age of technology, you do NOT have to live with it all your life. That doctor and nurse better re-learn the material they were supposed to have a grasp on about ethics and patient respect in the medical field.

Check into the policies on switching to another doctor. I also think you should send them a letter and let them know how unprofessional out of line they were and how badly they made you feel. If there's a place to report them, do that too. The last thing you need in a situation like this is insensitive comments.

BellaDonna

I'm definitely not a doctor, but that sounds more like a hemorrhoid than a skin tag to me. *shrug* I had a skin tag on my arm, and it never bled or caused me any pain... it was just ugly, and my dermatologist removed it with a little snip of the scissors.

I'd really look around for a different doctor - you're absolutely right. If they can throw around pain medication like candy, they can at least try to prevent your pain with a relatively easy, painless procedure (if it is a skin tag).

I feel for you, very much. I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I hope you're able to find a more sympathetic doctor to deal with your medical issues. Good luck.

Thank you all very much for your advice.

I've been doing a little more reading up. And I realised something else rather alarming. Skin tags in the anal area are normally caused by some internal problem at some stage. I just thought 2 different doctors I saw never examined *cough* the inside of 'down there', not at all! It was like, pardon me being direct... spread legs, have a look, oh yes skin tag. No internal examination. Worrying. So I took it upon myself to... ugh, have a feel... and it feels wrong!

I'm so disgusted at my treatment!!!

I'm signing up at a completely new doctors surgery tomorrow.

Hi Confessoress

Ok your in NHS hell with a doc that dos not wont to refuer your to a speshalist, there are 3 things you can do,

1: Get another doc, reregesrter some where new and go see that doc.

See if they will send you for the op

2: Go privet, I fast look on the we will get you docs for hire, from Bupa to Harlystreet. Pay to see them.

3: Go over seas and have it done, My wife and I go to china and we has some medical stuff done there for 1/10 the cost of the UK and 1/100 the cost of the USA, The chineas medics are top noch as well.

well thats my inouit to this

Hello.

Thank you guys. I have now registered with a new doctor. I'm going to make an appointment, problem is I'm starting a new job 9:00am-5:30pm on Monday (5 days a week) and the doctor's surgery is only open til 6... I'm have to work around it.

I'm really worried now and even more uncomfortable. I've noticed a tear between my clit and anus because the skin tag is getting in the way... on top of that all around my anus has gone a discoloured black/blue colour. Before the area was healthy and pink. And I have a deep pain between my clit and anus area...

I'm also worried the vaginal discharge I always have is connected, and on and off problem with urination hurting (when the tests show no UTI's, no cylmidia or cevyical cancer).

I'm so worried the doctor will pass me off again and ignore me. I can't put up with the discomfort and worry much longer.

• 1 month later...

I have the exact same problem as you. I've had it for about a year and find it terribly annoying, uncomfortable. It's hard to keep clean and it makes me terribly self-conscious in the bedroom with my husband which is affecting my sex life. My small daughter accidentally caught sight of me getting changed and I was bent over when she walked in and said "Mommy, I think you have some kind of udder by your butt." That was the final straw. I wanted to cry.

I finally broke down and went to see a doctor, and she too told me that there was nothing that could be done for it. Unless I wanted to have "cosmetic" surgery to have it removed. But she cautioned that doing so could cause incontinence problems for me. Which I personally think is a load of crap because this small tag of skin has nothing to do with me holding my bowels in. I can't imagine with all the advances in medicine that you see and hear about how just taking a laser and cauterizing it off would be that big a deal. So when I said to her, "I'm just going to have to live with this for the rest of my life?" she basically said yes. That if it got very enlarged or was causing other problems, then they could recommend removal. Otherwise, since it was small, not inflammed in anyway and could easily be pushed back inside then there was nothing more to do. The problem is if you push it back inside it doesn't stay there.

I've been searching on the web trying to see if there is something I can do myself to remove it. I just can't take it anymore and I can't afford to keep going to doctors who aren't going to do anything for me and I certainly can't afford to pay for cosmetic surgery to get it removed.

So, what are we left to do?

• 1 month later...

I have had the same problem and also had the operation to remove 2 skin tags. When i finally got the courage to go to the doctors, the first doctor fobbed me off and sent me on my way. But i was so unhappy and in such discomfort that i decided to get a second opinion with another doctor at my surgery. She was very helpful and refereed me to the surgeon at my local hospital (NHS in the UK). Within 6 weeks i had an appoinment to go and be examined properly not very pleasant i can say. It took intotal about 8 months from first going to the doctors and having the operation, but thats the NHS for you not very quick as it would be to go private.

The operation - i was told it was very painful by my doctor, but that was not the case i had no pain and it really was not as bad as i had expected. However, i was of work for a week after and had to be very careful. I had the operation under a General anesthesia, because its not a very pleasent experiance as you could imagine. I was in and out of hospital within a morning. I had the op and was back on the ward all within 20 minutes very quick. I even went shopping around Tesco's supermarket after leaving the hospital....

One tag was completely removed but the other was left with a small lump and in time (7 years) it has grown and is now given me problems once more. I went back to my doctors 2 weeks ago and am now waiting to see the surgeon once more. I am really hoping he will completely remove it this time. My doctor said it is small but she wants the surgeon to see me. It does feel a lot bigger than it actual is to be honest.

A work colleague of mine is also waiting for her operation date for the something, she also had no problems with her doctor referring her to the hospital NHS......

I recommend that you persevere, be persistent and really express how much of a problem it is causing you and you should have a internal examination.

please read the information i found below.

If you need any advice or information please feel free to ask .... Hope this helps!!

Skin Tabs/Tags

Anal skin tabs/tags are the shapeless lumps and flaps of skin or flesh found at the anal verge. Anal skin tags are an extremely common condition and are frequently associated with other anorectal problems.

Anal skin tags are usually the result of a prior anorectal insult or injury. An acute swelling of an external hemorrhoid, if left untreated, frequently leaves behind a skin tab - also referred to as a hemorrhoidal tab. The skin tab's blood supply from the hemorrhoidal artery above may then give rise to the development of an even larger hemorrhoid. Swollen skin edges as a result of prior rectal surgery may also develop into skin tabs.

A sentinel tag is that skin tab which is situated at the inferior border of an infection or injury, as if it is watching or guarding over. A sentry or sentinel is one that keeps guard - thus the name. Anal fissures and fistula are often associated with secondary changes, which may include a sentinel tag. The proximal end of a fissure or fistula may contain granulation tissue that extrudes, beginning the formation of a sentinel tag.

The skin tag is often first noticed by the patient, as a painless soft protrusion beginning near the opening of the anus. If a skin tag is perceived by the patient as causing pain, frequently the physician will find an associated rectal condition which is the actual cause of the pain.

Cleanliness can be a problem. Fecal debris may become trapped under the tag upon wiping in one direction. If there is more than one tab, the problem is multiplied. Itching (pruritus) often develops to make a bad situation worse. Skin tabs may indicate the presense of a more serious rectal ailment that needs careful attention.

Anal tags are generally asymptotic and often are the remnants of previous inflammatory lesion in the anal area. When tags are symptomatic, as a result of itching, pain, anxiety or hygienic problems, they can be removed, and/or biopsied to confirm their etiology. Anoscopy may enable the physician to identify the cause or find other lesions. If tags are small, local anesthetic is injected, then the area is excised. Laser has been used successfully to obliterate skin tabs and resurface the anal area to achieve a good cosmetic result. If extensive, skin tab surgery may need to be undertaken in the operating room. Any surgery in the anal area, no matter how small, may cause some postoperative pain.

I've been searching on the web trying to see if there is something I can do myself to remove it.

Please don't try to do this. Performing any kind of surgery on yourself is dangerous, and especially in delicate areas.

Just wondering: does anyone know how these tags come about? What are they? Is this common (it seems so, since a number of folks on here have them)

Personally I would get the surgery and pay for it myself. If it's a day operation, then medical fees shouldn't be too high. It's better than having it ruin your self-esteem and your sex life. Pain and bleeding are also not things that you should just have to live with.

• 1 year later...

Hi Confessoress

I have recently (two Days ago) had an operation to remove my anal skin tag and whilst the surgeon was doing the operation he also found that I needed banding on two other areas within my back passage. By the way its extremely painful but hopefully worth while once its all healed. I had to go private to have this removed but luckily I have company insurance. You should definetely try another doctor as I'm sure a more sympathetic one will refer you to a consultant.

Good Luck!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

hi all,

i have what i thought was a large anal skin tag - went to the doctor after having it for a year, and have it grow - got a similar treatment, after plucking up the courage to go, a quick examination, and she said "yep its just a small skin tag, nothing to be done" having had friends had them, and having them removed, i said "i'd like it removed please" dr says " i don't think thats a very good idea" but when i asked why she said "ok then i'll make you an appointment"?!?!?

I went to the appointment, but the dr was running very late, and after an hour and a bit of waiting i chickened out and left the hospital, i asked for another appointment as i just said i couldn't wait any longer, but after chasing and just getting told yes, i still hadn't had one, so 3 days ago i decided i would tie it off and freeze it with wart remover, to then cut it off, it went blue, then black then white, i froze it and cut most of it off, which made me feel sick as it was the size of a kidney bean....lots of pain whilst it was tied, and thenafter i took the ties off after cutting it bled for ages, and now the stump has swollen to bigger than it was before.. .... can't face going to the dr am smothering it with antibiotic cream, taking painkillers and just hoping it goes away - i wish drs in this country realised how distressing these things are, and if they can do something they should - if its designated elective, charge the minimum needed but still be professional and kind to people - this treatment is really not on..

anyway - hoping everyone above is getting sorted, if anyone knows of any private clinics let me know! best of...

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

I know exactly where your coming from as it took me a long time to be diagnosed properly.

I went to the doctors a while ago to see her about my tags on my bottom and to get help with them.

I had a locum doctor at first and he checked me down there and said it was haemerhoids and I should use cream to get rid of them.

He stated that i had an outer H and 2 inner H's.

I used the cream for a week and it made them bigger and worse. I was bleeding heavily, so i went back to my doctor and asked to see my actual doctor and not a locum. I then asked my doctor what is should do and she gave me yet another cream.

She said if this didnt work then i can request to get them removed.

a week later I go back with yet more bleeding and itching badly.

So i ask for them to be removed. a few weeks later i go to hosiptal ready for a consultaion, I enpect him to examine me and to book me an appointment, instead he gets the machine and starts to ban the two inner ones. I hadnt gone to the toilet that morning and said i needed to poo but he didnt believe me, he said i would feel like that but wouldnt need to go.

After banding them he then said to walk out and go home to rest. I went to the toilet instead and bleed more than ever. I wouldnt walk at all our of the hospital and my husband had to come in and pick me up. I couldnt sit, or lay down i was in way to much pain.

A few days later and it all settles down. Unfortunately the tag i thought was gone wasnt, and it turned out not to be a H. Im then told its a skin tag and will need to be removed so Im booked in for a removal of the skin tag under general anasetic.

I had my tag removed on thursday of last week and since then the itching has gone and the pain has one too. I have to be careful with what i do and have to rest for a few weeks. Im taking laxatives and a lot of pain kilers.

It was the best thing ive done and you really have to lay it on thick with the doctors to get results.

Maybe exagerate how painful it is and how much its bleeding.

This is covered on the nhs as ive not had to pay a penny!

With the vaginal discharge I wouldnt worry about that as some women get thick discarge while others dont. Im slightly thick and get it everyday.

Im doing plenty of exercise and eating healthly to avoid the thickness.

hope this helps you.

acidophilus may help with the female problems which is probably simply vagitinis.. my female doc reccomended to me and it seems to help. also i thogut i remembered reading somehting about skin tags and internal polyps...being connected so all these physicians blowing off this porblem just is not right.

Archived