Has anyone been addicted to Oxynorm?

I have not , and do not personally know of anyone that has. Best of my understanding Oxynorm is the same as oxycontin/oxycodone, which as you indicated is in the same family of painkillers as morphine.

How long have you been addicted to this medication? You may actually need professional help through rehab to come off this stuff.

I wish I new more to tell you , but I am just not familiar with how to tell someone to kick the habit other than seeking professional counseling and rehab.

I do know that my daughter knew of two people during her college years that OD'd on it and died. I certainly wish you well in kicking this habit. Hopefully someone here can give you some further helpful advice.

I had a year of dependance on methadone and found heroin irresistible. All I know is wanting to get off this is the first step. That choice is half your battle. You need to be determined.

I felt sick without it and had to stay away from sources of temptation eg people that were so-called friends.

Are you in a lot of physical pain, was this something you went on due to a doctors initial advice? Because that is different and a pain management plan may need to involve some kind of med.

If this has become an addiction you can get through it. I and a number of people I know did it by calling on the help of Jesus. I don't want to sound religious because I hate religion and don't go to church. But it would be wrong not to share of how a miracle helped me. He took the desire away. I had faith and asked him please take this out of my life. Instantly I found I had no desire and got my fulfillment from Him.

Thank you so much for your replies.

I am on it for pain management & I am waiting for surgery.

I tried to go without it yesterday, but I was having terrible withdrawls, heart racing, sweating, cold chills, short temper. It was awful. I'm just worried & really scared that when the time comes to get off it, I won't be able to.

My plan at the moment is to ween myself off it & slowly reduce the amount I take. Wish my luck & pray for me. Thank you for your support.

I do not think you should try to quit cold turkey. You will experience terrible physical withdrawal from that drug and you will get very sick.

Talk to your doctor and get into a treatment program to wean off the drug. You really need to be under medical care to get through this and will need a support system as well.

I would just take it a day at a time and try not to worry about things too much. Maybe consider recovering from the surgery first and then when your feeling a bit stronger slowly reduce the dose.

Take it a day at a time. And all the very best for the surgery. You sound very determined and that you will surely beat this but don't be too hard on yourself as you may need time to get well from surgery and adjust to not using the medication gradually.

Look at soothing things that can comfort you during this time. A nice warm cup of hot chocolate or chamomile tea. Have a few things around you that are uplifing to look at.

I used to be addicted to narcotic pain pills, and the best thing imo, is to get checked in to rehab for a week or so, they can slowly detox you so that you don't get as sick, and it's a safe place to be. It's also a good idea to do some outpatient counseling after you are "clean", I found that NA didn't work as well for me, but it really works for some people, you can figure out what works for you after you are clean and clear of the drugs.

• 2 months later...

I was addicted to large daily doses of oxycontin-the long acting form of oxynorm. I was using up to 320mg p.d. for several years for extreme, intractable spinal pain after an accident. I tried to go cold turkey and had a hyperstensive crises and nearly had a stroke so please DO take your withdrawal program slowly. It's something that needs to be done little by little, frustrating as it is, it's better than the cold turkey horrors-you can actually die from too rapid a withdrawal. See someone who understands about these things-not all medicos do, in fact some are unbelievably ingnorant. If you don't have the means for rapid detox available to you-and not many do-slow tapering is about the only way to go along with assistance from buprenorphine (norpsan) patches to ease the withdrawal symptoms. Beta blockers are also useful but you really really need to discuss these doses with a doctor. They reduce your blood pressure which will in turn stop your heart palpitations, ie: panic attacks and make you feel more comfortable. BUT make sure you discuss all this with a really good narcotic pain killer reduction expert before doing anything. And as you are using these for pain relief as opposed to getting high you will need to find some alternative for your pain relief. And that's not an easy thing, especially when dealing with medical people who, in general, couldn't care less. Sorry but it's true. I really wish you all the best and be very, very careful with all this.

• 11 months later...

WOW.. I find this so strange, but at the same time it's so sad, because you were put on this medication by your doctor.

What kind of surgery are you going to be getting??? You should ask your doctor about becoming "addicted" to this medication, and if there are any other alternatives?

I feel really bad for you, because you're becoming an addict, but not by choice. You really do need this medication, because the pain after surgery will be unbearable without it. You should really talk to your doctor, and maybe even another doctor--just to get more options.

i agree, cold turkey is probably a very bad idea. You will likely have to slowly decrease your dosage to avoid horrible withdraws. Talk to your doctor about it. They may have recommendations on what dosages to take and when to wean off it. If it is a serious problem then you may need rehab.

I really have no advice for you. But I do share your problems. Ive been abusing drugs and alcohol since I was a teenager. Over the past two years Ive discovered that pain medication morphine, hydrocodone, oxycodone, etc is my drug of choice. I recently broke my leg in a car accident and of course they shot me up with morphine over and over and sent me home with a prescription for Percocet. Granted I needed it at the time.

It still is a huge problem for me. Ive spent entire paychecks just to get a fix. I love the feeling that opiates bring. All my pain emotional-physical is still there but it just doesn't matter. This is up but its true. I would rather experience narcotics than love, sex, food, anything.

Ive even gone to the point of using heroin a few times when I was able to find it. However most of the time its pills. Any I can find. My mom has a high paying job and she is also addicted. I find the drugs out on the street for us. She pays and shares them with me for getting them.

Ive been to rehab once and it was a joke. All they talked about was alcohol and anger. I made a friend while I was there and all we talked about was getting high and the day we got out. No make that the hour, we took off on the bus to the next town bought 3 grams of heroin and both of us shot up right there on the spot.

I can imagine that the only was I can ever quit would be to go on Methadone or go cold turkey.

• 2 months later...

I was addicted to opates also so I know exactly what you are going through. Six years ago I injured my back severly. I was pit on multiple opates like fentanyl (80 times potency of morphine), 40 miligrams Oxycontin 3 times a day and Percocet 3 times a day all at one time. I realized I was addicted when the Fentanyl ran dry and I did have the other opates because I misused them. The withdrawl sickness was unbearable and put me in the hospital where they resupplied me with more Fentanyl. To show you how bad my addiction was they had to inject me with twice the average amount of Demerol to stop the convulsions. I decided then that I had to get off.

After getting my monthly supply of opates from my pain management doctors I did the following. I used the fentanyl everyother day while taking 40mg Oxycontin and 7.5mg of percocet twice a day (instead of 3 times a day) for a week . After that week I stopped using fentanyl altogether and used 40mg Oxycontin and 7.5mg of percocet twice a day for two weeks. Then I cut the Oxycontin (not recommended unless you are good at math) into 4 equal parts. I took 1 quarter of Oxycontin every 5 hours for two weeks,then I took 1 quarter of the Oxy every 6 hours for a week. Soon I was able to take 1 7.5mg of percocet every 7 to 8 hours for a week. Then I broke the Percocet in half and took half every 6 to seven hours for two weeks. After that I only take opates only when the pain is very severe which is about once or twice a week. Sometime I can go for 2 or three weeks and not need any pain medication. It took me a long time to get to this point but I can honestly say that I'm not addicted to opates anymore. I took that length of time because I didn't want to admit to anyone that I was hooked. That was between Jesus and me. Through your process don't forget about GOD because he can really help. I don't recommend what I did to anyone but it lets you know IT CAN BE DONE and you have to be VERY VERY CAREFUL.

• 5 months later...

Hi there I'm currently in hospital in Melbourne, Aust detoxing of long term narcotic use originally due to a chronic bowel disease that I was born with.

I'm 31yrs old and have had around 100 opperations, (who's counting)...

I was in a long term rehab, which can run from 12-18mths approx but needed to leave to get off the Oxynorm.

• 1 year later...

i am addicted to oxynorm,and like you i cant function without it,i was prescribed by my gp last yr for gall stones as i was in pain all the time.i was on 30mg a day.3 caps and my gp has gotten me down to 20mg,nxt week i will be down to 25mg.It is hard,i am struggling alot,the withdrawels isnt something ave ever experienced nor want to ever again,but i want off them as my life isnt reality as am sure you understand what i mean.But the thing about oxynorm as with any drug you build up a tolerence and need more,i started gettin withdrawels before the doc starting reducing it so it is better to come of it now rather than later,cause you are going to withdrawel regardless,what you gonna do?keep uppin the dose??

sp to your gp,who can gradually ween you off,i also have a substance misuse officer who i see weekly n it really helps,I totally understand how you feel but the sooner you do something the better, i wanna stop but i dont want to,but i need to go on,cause i know week after my last i will be well again n drug free,good luck

• 2 months later...

addiction is a horrible disease and will ruin your life, your relationships and everything around you. I am currently battling an addiction to oxycontin. I started going to an outpatient clinic (methadone maitence) and it is helping me tremendosly.I am not saying that it right for everyone, because its not..but it was right for me. I feel so much more stable in my life..and feel that i am getting my life back in order. It is something that i have to deal with everyday..and i am determined to get my life back on track. If you ever need someone to talk to..you can talk to me..because i have been there, still there..and its hard, and you need alllll the support you can get. without support..it wont work.

• 2 years later...

I have gone through throat cancer, now cured by chemo,and radio therepy.

Of course I was given lots of pain relief ,Fentanil patches and Oxynorm. Five years down the road,and I am cancer free

but hooked on the Oxynorm liquid, I take 100+ mls each day. I am 53 years old.

• 7 years later...

I am a person in long term recovery... spent many years as a using addict.

I see others have already chimed in with great advice... I don’t have anything more to add except that it’s possible to stop and stay stopped with the right tools and support. You don’t have to do this alone.

I am a person in long term recovery... spent many years as a using addict. I completely get how hard it is to stop and will throw my suggestions in with the rest that you seek help through a detox facility that can help you manage this. Many detoxes will more readily take opiate users because of the opiate crisis so this works in your favour.

I see others have already chimed in with great advice... I don’t have anything more to add except that it’s possible to stop and stay stopped with the right tools and support. You don’t have to do this alone.

Archived