Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Atkins Diet - Your Experiences Please?

AntiLove_SuperStar
    Platinum Member AntiLove_SuperStar's Avatar
    I'm amazed by the number of people that DO imply I only have "a few pounds to lose".

I don't have ANY to lose, thanks very much, my BMI is 22, right in the middle of healthy.

I've read as much about Atkin's as I can, and believe as long as you eat as many lowcarb veggies etc as possible, it's no worse than any other diet.

But that wasn't what I was debating...I wanted experiences, which some people gave me, so

Thank you very much for those.

For years I have been educating myself about the human body, but its my decision to

a) choose to disregard the good info I read
    b) do things like smoke, etc. I know full well ALL the risks of smoking, but that doesnt change the fact that 33% of the time I'm gagging for a cigarette. Same with this. I know Im an OK weight, I know dieting hurts you, I know practically everything there is to know, but I don't like myself enough to implement it and some days I want to SNAP.

I do feel slightly as though I'm being treated like a moron here. I'm Not.
    Last edited by AntiLove_SuperStar; 07-29-2006 at 05:39 PM.

nottoogreen

Quote Originally Posted by AntiLove_SuperStar
    I do feel slightly as though I'm being treated like a moron here. I'm Not.
    Great!

When you see your neurologist, ask him about what's best for you also in terms of diet.

annie24
    I'm not overweight at around 138lbs and 5ft 7ins, but having read William Leith's book "The Hungry Years", I'm trying the Atkins Diet for a week.
    I'm sorry. from your orignial post, it seemed you were implying you were wanting to lose a few pounds, since you said you were going to try the diet.

I agree, you are at a very good weight, no reason to lose.

CarnelianButterfly
    Platinum Member CarnelianButterfly's Avatar
    I did South Beach which is a similar concept. I felt very tired the first week and had problems not eating fruit. I lost a good amount of weight and started to enjoy the recipes. I ate a lot of fish and chicken and didn't get much red meat. I loved the greens and ate a bunch of steamed veggies. Its mostly about discipline and keeping to the plan. It can be tempting and I had a jerk intentionally pushing off-plan foods on me, so you just have to be strong and think about how much this means to you.

easyguy
    Platinum Member
    It must have been 2 or 3 years ago that I starting going on the Atkins diet (and I was very unhealthy then, so it was a lifesaver). For the first month or so, I cut out almost all carbohydrates. It was hell at first. But when all was said and done, I lost about 20 lbs after that first month or two, which had me feeling great . Once that phase was over, I eased up a bit and started eating on a more balanced diet. Since then it's been slow going, but I'm not too concerned about losing weight fast. I used to weigh about 240 lbs before I went on the diet (at 5' 8''), and since then I've cut down to 200 lbs or just below (at 5' 9''). Last summer I was down to 190 lbs for a while, but lost some that once the holidays rolled around.

So I guess the Atkins diet was more of a springboard for the balanced diet than it was a diet that I used all the time. I don't think I could live if I was always on the Atkins diet. I'm happy I went on the Atkins diet, though... but I don't think my body would have reaped the benefits had I continued using it for a much longer period of time.

miserableme
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiLove_SuperStar
    I'm amazed by the number of people that DO imply I only have "a few pounds to lose".

I don't have ANY to lose, thanks very much, my BMI is 22, right in the middle of healthy.
    why would you want to try the diet then? According to weight watchers, your healthy weight is between 127 and 147 lbs. As you said, your weight is right in the middle of healthy. You could stand to lose or gain a few without any ill effects.

I'm not understanding where you're going with this.

kellbell
    Hey there,

I tried the South Beach Diet which is like the Atkins Diet. I have so to say I had the WORST experience ever. I could not think, I could not concentrate, I was fatigued all the time, my stomach hurt, I just felt alwful. IMO, I think the human body needs carbs, GOOD carbs such as fruits, dairy, and whole grains, and wheat. I strongly feel one should not deprive him/herself of anything. I believe in moderation.

On the otherhand, I had wonderful results with Weight Watchers. A person doing WW can eat what he/she wants as long as he/she stays within the point range. I learned so much about my eating habits, how much I eat and what I eat. I lost 27 pounds and have kept it off for FIVE years. I still do the new things I learned on WW.

InaneCathode
    Quote Originally Posted by nottoogreen
    Great!

When you see your neurologist, ask him about what's best for you also in terms of diet.

Or your psychiatrist

Anywho, I happen to believe atkins is just an artifact of people confusing causation with correlation.
    Fact: People eat icecream in the summer.
    Fact: People drown more in the summer.
    Not Fact: People drown because of eating icecream in the summer

It's also an artifact of people assigning poplularity and name recognition to otherwise well practiced activities:
    Fact: People who eat less carbs, more low cal veggies, and excersise more lose weight
    Fact: People who use the cathode diet eat less carbs, more low cal veggies, excersise more, and stand on their head for 30 seconds a day lose weight.
    Not fact: Standing on your head in the cathode diet is any better or worse than regular dieting.

I've found, through various avenues, the extreme atkins diets are the diets that are attackedThe "modified" atkins diets that are proposed to be much safer than the more extreme versions are hardly any different than a regular diet (eat less calories, excersize more) see example 2.

AntiLove_SuperStar
    Platinum Member AntiLove_SuperStar's Avatar
    I mainly wanted to try it because I was just curious after reading William Leith's experiences with it. I thought "I want to see what that's like, if I'd feel any better".

I'd ask my psychiatrist, if I hadn't fired her.

charley

I lost 45 lbs and kept it off for 3 years.

I did the virtual opposite of the Atkins diet.

I just cut my fat and grease intake as much as possible. I did not change my starch intake at all. I lost the weight over a year and I never was hungry or tired. I avoided all fried foods, especially deep fried. Also avoided cheese, mayo, and any other high fat foods. I did not avoid red meat or anything that extreme, but I did and do try to avoid very fatty meats (no sausage for example). I also had to not eat pizza more than once in a while. No more desserts either. No more French fries.

I suffered no hunger or tiredness at all. I did suffer some food cravings the first week. Then I mentally or physically adjusted. To stay sane and motivated, I allowed myself one day per week to eat whatever I wanted, but only in reasonable portions.

The first 25 lbs was lost by purely by the above dietary restrictions. The next 20 by excercise in addition to diet.

Now I want to lose another 10 pounds because I'm still about 15 lbs overweight. To lose the next 10 lbs, I will either have to cut my starch intake since my fat intake is already low, or I'll have to exercise much more. I think I'll do some of both.

I think it's going to be harder to lose the last 10 lbs than it was the first 45 lbs. Why? Because my body is now very determined to hold onto what's left of my fat.

A person can lose weight by burning more calories (excercise), or by cutting calories by reducing fat or starch. Ideally, some of each is the best route. Since fat also clogs a persons circulatory system (heart disease), I chose to cut that as much as possible before cutting my starch. However, at some point a person must cut their starch too.

The above based on my experiences. I made that diet up myself and it works. If I were to name it, I'd call it the "Common Sense Weight Loss Plan You Can Do for Free".
    Last edited by charley; 07-30-2006 at 10:48 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Top Threads
Too Much Vitamin B ... And Coffee
Hey guys, so lately and on weekends especially, I've been feeling very wired/wound up, trouble sleeping, a bit "moody" lots of energy. Last night
Kidney pain with no kidney stones?
I've had a very strange and alarming pain in my left kidney for the past five years. I'm 24 and have had a fair few years of UTIs which were
Iím at a stage of giving up on everything??
Iíve been struggling with my physical and mental health for most of my life, I started feeling severely suicidal by first grade. I was diagnosed with
Too Much CoffeeVitamin B
So lately and on weekends especially, I've been feeling very wired/wound up, trouble sleeping or too much sleep. Last night was out with BF till
Featured Threads
What eNotAlone gave you?
I wonder mostly about long-time members who decided to be a part of this community. Has this forum enriched your lives, and if so, in what
How to end things with him
Iíve been dating this guy for 2 months. In the beginning he was very sweet and romantic, however I learned in the last month or so that he is
My ex bf told me he wants sex, nudes and me to loan him money until he's stable... Should I lend $?
Hello.. I am 22 I met my ex bf (21) 3 years ago in college. He dropped out of college after the first semester.. he didn't go to finals. He stayed in
How Should I have handled it?
My GF and I were together for about 5 months. Things were great except for some of my questioning her online activity which challenged her. All
My Ex Husband still berates me
Hello, first off I am not sure why I am on a forum but.. I need an anonymous outlet I guess because my friends and family all say the same thing
Yall ready for a messed up one...
Okay, so i cheated on my bf about 6 month ms into our relationship with a guy 20 years older then me at our work. And it was a rule that it was only
Iím at a really bad state of mind right now
Itís been a little over the month since the breakup, since then, heís messaged me 2-3 times about random topics (that I donít care about), and has
Ask For Advice