Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Atkins Diet - Your Experiences Please?

AntiLove_SuperStar
    Platinum Member AntiLove_SuperStar's Avatar

Atkins Diet - Your Experiences Please?

I'm not overweight at around 138lbs and 5ft 7ins, but having read William Leith's book "The Hungry Years", I'm trying the Atkins Diet for a week.

Not being into red meat, I'm basically centering my diet around chicken, turkey, tuna, cheese, eggs, spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, that kinda thing. As well as a couple of lowcarb veggie substitutes I found gracing the shelves of my local supermarket.

I've only been doing this around for the best part of a day now, and I feel, I'd say, 75% Less Hungry between meals than I do normally. I feel steadier as I'm not eating anything sugary/refined/high-carb.

So my question is - does anyone have any experiences, good or bad, with the Atkins? It feels good thus far, I think I could easily stick out my week-long experiment.

Scout
    Oh, hon...of all the diets to try, you had to pick one of the most dangerous! I'm not aware of a single reputable nutrition/medical group that supports the Atkins Diet. The man himself died obese and with heart problems.

You can get more information about this "diet" here: link removed

miserableme
    Definitely one of the least healthy diets. If you want to lose weight an be healthy, then you need to eat lots of fruit and vegetables. The Atkins diet restricts these and that is bad. In you continued on it, you would end up getting gas, constipation, bloating, that sort of thing.

Any diet that lasts a week will only have water-weight loss. It doesn't sound like you have much weight to lose, so why not start doing a bit more exercise and cut some of the crap out of your diet. You'd be amazed at how far that can get you.

Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by miserableme
    Definitely one of the least healthy diets. If you want to lose weight an be healthy, then you need to eat lots of fruit and vegetables. The Atkins diet restricts these and that is bad. In you continued on it, you would end up getting gas, constipation, bloating, that sort of thing.

Any diet that lasts a week will only have water-weight loss. It doesn't sound like you have much weight to lose, so why not start doing a bit more exercise and cut some of the crap out of your diet. You'd be amazed at how far that can get you.
    Ditto everything just said here!

annie24
    As a biochemist, I have to say that atkins is the worst way you can go. You are essentially tricking your body into thinking it's diabetic. In fact, people who do atkins too strictly can go into ketoacidosis.

I do know a girl that did atkins - she lost 50 pounds, but then gained 70! so.... I really wouldn't recommend it.

You sound like you are at a very healthy weight. Don't push it much further! If you feel you'd like to lose 5 pounds, I'd recommend weightwatchers. The program makes a lot of sense, you eat a wide variety of foods, and the meetings are very supportive.

link removed

good luck

agent
    My ex did Atkinds and lost about 6 stone. (He was a big lad.) And while I don't approve of it, it did a lot for him.

I recommend that you get the book. I see a lot of people who say they're doing the Atkins plan and are basically cutting out all carbs as they don't know anything about it other than what they see on tv.

And take healthier options in regards to the proteins you eat and prepare.

Shadows Light
    I've read the ATKINS diet... and couldn't really adhere to it 100%.

My diet was what I would call... and adapted version of ATKINS.

As I recall... ATKINS recommends staying on his HIGH PROTEIN diet for 14 days. And then slowly adding carbs back into the diet.

I stayed on it for 10. I didn't do the greasy foods. I stayed away from bacon for 2 weeks. I cut all carbs and sugars out for 10 days. I drank water instead of soda (160 cals for a 12oz can). And I increased my excersise incrementally. The proteins I stuck with I boiled, broiled or grilled. Fast food.. I tried to stay away from. If I bought a cheeseburgar.. I dispensed with the bread.

Staying away from Carbs... such as muffins, donuts, chocolate, bagels... helped imensely.

I jump started my diet you can say. And after 10 days.. slowly started adding healthier carbs in my diet. Fruits and Vegi's.

If you try to adhere to a strict ATKINS diet... you'll note some of the problems listed above. Gassiness, bloatiness, constipation. And when the smell of KEYTONE break-down eminating from your pores and your breath. THIS IS NOT A GOOD THING. ATKINS will tell you it is.. I don't buy into it. You are not just breaking down fat cells but good cells as well. Not good.

Excersise.. Excersise.. Excersise. Very important. Just don't overdo it... a walk 3 times a week would do it.

Drink plenty of water and keep yourself hydrated. Your skin will love you for it.

And portion control.... we've become a nation of SUPER SIZER'S... and getting the most bang for our buck. Eat slowly... chew and savor your meals... and know that you do NOT need to eat that whole WHOPPER and that BIGGIE SIZED FRIE'S. Push yourself away from the table.

annie24
    Staying away from Carbs... such as muffins, donuts, chocolate, bagels... helped imensely.
    Don't you think, in general, that this is a good approach for a diet? it is not specific to atkins alone.

Confessoress
    You don't need to lose that much weight at all. Atkins is horrid, dangerous.

Personally I think slim fast is better and safer, for losing a few lbs. 1 shake in the morning, snack on fruits, rice cakes and other stuff inbetween, another shake for lunch, few more snacks, then a proper dinner, and some more snacks after! This is not good for long term, but to lose a few lbs I think it's perfectly fine.

justpaisley
    I did Atkins, very strictly, for several months, never more than 20 carbs per day. I lost 30 pounds, was never hungry, and felt loads of energy. My cholesterol and blood sugar levels fell to within normal range after being high for 2 years. I haven't gained back any weight at all. (Well, I lie. I gained 13 pounds when I was pregnant.)

I did all of this under the supervision of my general practitioner and a cardiologist, being absolutely frank with them about my diet. They were behind me 100%. I didn't eat a bunch of red meat either, mostly tuna and chicken, and a whole mess of green veggies.

Of course, I did this when I was in California, completely isolated from my family. It's too hard to do when your mom just shows up randomly with the most delicious red beans and rice in the world.

You do have to be careful though - if you kinda slack off, you can totally throw the whole diet. If you eat your eggs in the morning, but decide to have a muffin later in the afternoon just for funsies, that completely throws off your carb count for the day, and you WILL gain weight.

By the way, Robert Atkins died from a head injury sustained from falling on an icy sidewalk, not because of heart problems. He did have a heart attack in 2002, but it was related to a viral infection, not to a diet. (My husband had the same thing.) He was not obese upon his admission to the hospital after his fall, but gained 60 pounds while in a coma. Just wanted you to get the other side of the story.

11. 07-29-2006, 12:10 PM

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Top Threads
healthy activities you like
Hey people! Like everyone here, I'm trying to find myself, what i like and what i can keep myself busy with; and so far I've come up with a short
I just dont know
So about 6 months ago, I had what appeared to be an outbreak of herpes, a few days before the concerning spot appeared, I had sex with two people
Burning dried bay leaves to reduce anxiety and stress
I have read about this and seen this in many places lately . So I thought I would give it a try . And wow. The first experience was intensely
Don't remember anything I do
Everyday I can't remember what I do can't remember even hanging out with my ex , please help
UTI or bad virus?
I've took two doses of trimethoprim in the past three months due to an Ecoli UTI but this has been the worst... I have been going to the bathroom
Getting stood up: is it a big deal?
Iím not sure if this is the right topic to post this forum in, but here it goes. Iíve experienced getting stood up A LOT in my life. (Itís funny
Every thing is unreal
Having a hard time broke up with my gf which I really don't see happened ! I did enjoy myself and time with her but I was always misrable for no
Featured Threads
Heard my ex-boyfriend having sex
Please please please help me. Tonight I heard my ex boyfriend having sex with another woman and I'm totally gutted and sick inside. Unfortunately
Advice married man
I am 38 yrs old 2 kids ( 8 and 17) I was in a relationship with my ex for 21 years and things ended. Fast forward 6 months I met a wonderful man who
I have an experiment on how to attact
I often hear lately that women and men want the exact same things and are attracted to the exact same things. I don't believe this one bit, so I
My boyfriend said I have nothing to offer?
He told me I have nothing to offer other than sex. He called me a nobody even though I am going to school and have a part time job. What does he mean
What do I do HELP.
Ive dated this girl for just over two years our relationship started off great. We were in love and I could see myself marrying this girl. A few
5 years later with silent treatment
I am 44 yr old woman with someone 6yrs younger. I was taken to an emergency hospital 2 weeks ago with suspected stroke..he left me at the door of
Help... I'm driving myself crazy.
So my ex and I have been broken up for 4 months. We have had no contact in four months. He blocked me on Facebook immediately after the breakup. Last
Ask For Advice