When someone says they care about you?

I was always one to believe that talk is cheap. Someone may say they care about you, but it's their actions that show you most if they truly do or not.

If a person says they care, it could mean several things, depending on the situation. Caring doesn't always imply love. Love always implies caring.

It really depends on the context of the situation, who is saying it, and how they treat you.

Funny. Guys who I dated who truly truly cared and loved me didn't go around saying, "I truly care for you." Other than saying "I love you", they always showed it through their actions.

I think that if I heard someone I dated say, "I truly care for you", I think that the actual meaning would be: "I care for you.." followed by some explaination, excuse or cheap talk.. when in actuality they really mean: "I care, but not in that way."

If someone truly cares for you, they don't just sit around and say it. They actually do something about it. They're proactive. Just like if cared for someone, I show it. I don't just say it, and I would feel weird saying it just out of nowhere.

True. Some people are more verbally-emotionally expressive than others. Reminds me of the Bruce Lee movie, where his wife Linda says something along the lines of, "You never say I love you." Bruce Lee's response is, "I show you I love you everyday through my actions." He said it with so much compassion. I know it's just Hollywood and it's Jason Scott Lee saying it, but that scene in the movie is just a depiction of what I mean when people show they care through what they do and not what they say. =)

It could be baby steps. My perception is somewhat cynical at times. I guess it really depends on the person. I had a guy who I dated, we weren't even dating for 1 month, and he flat out said, "I truly care for you.." I really wanted to buy it, but you know how intuition goes..I just couldn't fall for another line. Didn't want to get heart-broken again. Besides, it was only 1 month that we knew each other. It really depends on people's individual situations.

Sorry to the OP, didn't mean to take over your post.

Hi everyone,thanks for your repsonses,it's definitely interesting to hear differents points of view. I had a terrible fight with this person and he hurt me(we hurt each other verbally) terribly. In his apology email, he said he was just lashing out out of anger and has been devastated that he had upset someone he truly cared about. I have had my suspicions that he has feelings for me, the way he looks at me and thought maybe him saying this, he might be trying to tell me.

he said he was just lashing out out of anger and has been devastated that he had upset someone he truly cared about.
Crock of B.S. Because he truly cares for you, he'd get so frustrated to the point that he'd lash out at you and hurt you????

No way! He doesn't care. He probably e-mailed you back because he feels guilty for whatever he said or did. Most guys I know who truly care about their women, NEVER raise their voice at them in any demeaning manner. They may get into quirrels here and there, but if they really love their woman, they DON'T deliberately hurt them.

Side suggestion: If you are EVER in a relationship that's based on "selfish" acts, like the person you're with thinks "What's in it for me?" or they argue with you to try to one-up you all the time, basically, if they mistreat you and are really CARELESS about you and your feelings, they don't love you. Realize that. Take it from my experience!

Most guys I know who truly care about their women, NEVER raise their voice at them in any demeaning manner. They may get into quirrels here and there, but if they really love their woman, they DON'T deliberately hurt them.

Side suggestion: If you are EVER in a relationship that's based on "selfish" acts, like the person you're with thinks "What's in it for me?" or they argue with you to try to one-up you all the time, basically, if they mistreat you and are really CARELESS about you and your feelings, they don't love you. Realize that. Take it from my experience!

Good advice!!!