I really miss my childhood...like A LOT

Last night I had another dream about my elementary school. I say another because I have frequent dreams of my childhood school. I loved that school SOOO much and although it's been 15 years since I was there my memories of it are crystal clear. Something about it made me feel like I really belonged. Even the friends who went there with me also say that they think our school experience was extraordinary. Everyone that went there around our time loved it and remembers the experiences we had. We put on so many plays and shows and did so many activities.

I'm not sure why exactly I feel this way but I have a really deep bond with that school. It was everything about it - from the teachers and the kids there - to the way it looked and our neighborhood. I constantly have dreams of being back inside there and each time I have a dream about it all I can think about the next day is how much I miss it.

I know the reason I am so attached is because it was a place of stability for me. My parents divorced when I was 8 and we moved a lot - but I could always come back to school everyday. I was a teacher's pet I will admit - I came to school on days the kids had off but the teachers worked and I'd help my teachers organize things - they asked me because they knew I could do a good job. I was captain of the safety patrol and I was basically a leader in my grade at that school...I think that's a lot of the reason why I loved it. I was friends with everyone and I took part in so many things. Life was so fulfilling.

I'm not sure why I'm writing all this - I've just been having a massive amount of nostalgia and I get this way each time I dream about it. Is anyone else out there as connected to their elementary school? Most people I talk to who didn't go there with me say they barely remember elementary school and that it was no big deal. Perhaps we all went there at the right time with all the right people and things were just happy for all of us?

Sometimes I wish I could go back in time just to experience those times again - I'd never change anything - I just miss those really happy times.

I think you are lucky in one way to have such fond memories of a calm and safe place during an otherwise turbulent time. It will always be a refuge for you in some way.

Try to use it positively as an experience to be recaptured in a new way. You have a benchmark to aspire to for your future life and an example of a good environment for a child that you can try to re-create in your home for your own children when you have them.

Yeah you guys are right...it was such a great time that I do have something to aspire to - and for when I do have kids I know I'll want that same experience for them. I don't think I'd want to volunteer there but I was thinking of going on a night they have a play or something and do that - just to see how it's changed - or not. I think if I do that I'll get some kind of closure that it's probably not how I remember it being - it will reinforce my memories and help me hold on to them more. I really do feel lucky to have such great memories of it.

I've even contemplating on buying a house in that neighborhood when I have kids so they can go to that school Is that taking it a bit too far?