How do men feel about a size 14 woman?

Ok, has anybody else noticed you never see people who are slightly overweight on tv? It's always normal (thin) people or really overweight people. I'm a size 14 and I'm 5'9 1/2. And I never ever see women of my size on tv. I don't know how to feel about my size to be honest. How do men feel about it? I know women who are voluptuous and are my size are attractive because their bodies are womanly and curvy. But I'm not very curvy at all. My friend's the same size as me and her boyfriend called her "plus sized." I don't particularly think of us as plus sized. I just want somebody else's thoughts on this.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If her boyfriend is saying that she is "plus sized" in a negative way...then he is trying to control her. Anyhow, I know what you mean. But all body types have a certain appeal to someone out there. I think that tv is a bad depiction of reality and its sort of oppressive...so many young girls deal with deppression over the issue of weight because of it.

From a fellow size 14 (sometimes 16) I don't like the lack of realistic female figures on TV as well. I don't really appreciate how women over a size 4 are non-entities in the media. All the weight loss commercials were they going about how "I was a size 10, then I went on blah-blah and now I'm a 2". I will probably never be a size 10, if I did I would have bones poking out everywhere. My rib cage, bare bones, would never be a size 2, its just not possible, my bone structure is solid and broad. I'm not going to freak out about fitting into some ideal, my doctor is the only person who can say anything about my weight (and she's happy).

I'm a 14/16 but I hold my weight very well and I am very curvy. I was unhappy with my body for a long time - still am - I am most comfortable while at an 11/12 - I'm working on getting down to that - coming down from a size 18. Until my BF came along I wasn't happy with myself so much...never have been. But he loves me the way I am...I broke down to him once about my insecurities and he told me he loves everything about me - he loves me style (I do try to stay fashionable even while bigger) and I take pride in my appearance in other ways - that's what he likes about me. I'm concerned with the weight but he sees the bigger picture. And this is coming from a guy who is 6'4" and 190 lbs! There are guys out there who will appreciate all the woman ness that you are.

The guys are not saying a thing yet are they? I have thought about the same thing that you have Anna, in that you rarely see the larger sized women on tv.

I am a bit larger than I should be myself. I am 5'7'' and 165 lbs. size 16/18 . I am in my eyes larger than would be considered average. I did have ONE male person on here tell me ( in another thread topic ) that was what "he considered average" for the typical american woman of my age. I was not sure whether to take that as a compliment or what to be honest. I feel like I am probably one of those that falls in to the plus size category.

I have been working on losing some pounds, but it is a slow process for me.

TV makes me mind-sick most of the time. I try to keep it at a minimum. Yes, definetly noticed the stick-figure girls and then the other extreme. Very little diversity, and everything is warped.

Look around at the women around you. This helps me. I find women of all different shapes and sizes beautiful. Real people, real beauty.

To tell you the truth, I don't even know what size I am. I usually just search through clothes until I find ones that fit (so many different sizes for different clothes anyhow). Lots of my clothes are 'as is' or taken to tailor. I just let them do their job and go by eyeballing to tell if I am 'okay' or not.

TV is crap.

I've noticed that men like all sorts of women. Truly. You are at no disadvantage whatsoever.

I think their lips are sealed. It will be interesting to see who the first guy is to respond .

LOL...OK I'll be the first stupid guy to put his toe in to the thread.

The TV thing, I agree with the others. It is totally unrepresentative of real life...for women, for ethnic groups, for older people for basically anyone who does not fit some narrowly defined stereotypes (which are then by extension over-representated).

As for size 14 I have no idea what that size is (sizings are different here) but personally someone's size is not an issue for me in terms of physical attraction as long as they are and look healthy. I am NOT attracted to the uber-thin and I know many women who would be too big to fit TV's definition of sexy that are extremely attractive.

I suppose I like people to look healthy.

Really, not a peep from the guys? Why?

Because any guy who's been in a relationship with a woman for any length of time knows there is no good answer to the question, "Honey, does this make me look fat?"

The smart ones learn to avoid that minefield altogether.

Incidentally, in one of Dr. Christianne Northrup's books about women's health/well-being (I don't recall which one, now...but it was one connected with a PBS special several years back), she states the average American woman is 5'4", weighs 140lbs and wears a size 12 or 14. What's held up as the "ideal" is taller, weighs less, and takes a markedly smaller size. It's not necessarily healthy, either. In fact, if that taller, lighter woman is sedentary and the shorter, heavier woman is physically active, the heavier woman is more likely to be healthier.

In "The Obesity Myth: Why America's Obsession With Weight Is Hazardous To Your Health" by Paul Campos, he cites a research study that indicated men found a female body attractive that weighed, on average, about 20 pounds more than what women thought men would find attractive. I have also seen that and similar studies cited in other books. The results were consistantly the same...what the men in the study found attractive was larger than what the women thought the men would find attractive.

Realistically, I doubt most men know much about women's clothing sizes. Sometimes I wonder if clothing manufacturers have a clue because sizes can vary greatly from one maker to the next.

Whenever I find myself in a situation where I have to get weighed (and I don't feel like arguing about it) the (usually) nurse will start the scale off at a point a good 30 lbs. less than my actuall weight. When I move it up where it needs to be, I'm met with "oh, you can't weigh that much...you don't look it." Then they're surprised when it does, in fact, balance out and yes, I do weigh that much.

All that taken into consideration, I believe that telling someone your weight and/or clothing size doesn't really tell them much of anything about what your physical prescence is like.

Marilyn Monroe wore a size 16 dress. In today's fat-phobic culture, she'd be called plus-size (or worse) and told to diet.

My ex was a size 12. She was 18 when I met her...

When we broke up she was a size 6, and was 20.

She's now a size 0, and has fake breasts, and had a mild eating disorder after she finished her diet program.

Thanks to the media. I was always fine with her no matter what. And sure, she's fantastic looking now, and works out, but no thanks to pressure, she decided to stop eating to stay thin.

Everyone thank the brave, brave, brave, brave sir Melrich....

Haha....I think half the problem is guys just do not understand woman's clothes sizes and the obsession with them. In fact the mere mention of them usually sets off all sorts of alarm bells in a man's head. The main one being..."I'm trapped, there is no right answer to this."

I'll bite, and in fact I'd be happy to bite someone who's that size.

I'd much rather see some curves or a little belly on a woman who's active and vigorous than the gaunt, cadaverous skinny fashion slaves. There are lots of threads here by 20something girls that count calories to a ridiculous degree.

I'm skinny, and I don't feel all that amazing about it.

I've never been that aware of women's sizes anyway.

Is a Zero the best size? is a 4 worse? A 16 a crime?

I don't get it.

Archived