• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am stressed about everything, most of all this, but other stuff is adding on and I just don't know how much I can handle without going back to the way I used to be (cutting, drug abuse, ect)

My husband will be home in an hour or so, with the kids and I guess I could talk to him about it, but I don't know what do to with myself until then.

I hate feeling like this, I really hate it.

sometimes we need a release

But this release is unhealthy to your body. You need to find other healthier ways to relieve the stress. I understand cutting ties with your family is very stressful and you are torn about what to do. But injuring yourself will not solve those problems and is only returning you to the cycle of addiction.

Talk to your husband when he comes home and tell him what happened. Don't hide it. Just be open about what happened. Work together on the issues so you don't feel overwhelmed all by yourself.

But this release is unhealthy to your body. You need to find other healthier ways to relieve the stress. I understand cutting ties with your family is very stressful and you are torn about what to do. But injuring yourself will not solve those problems and is only returning you to the cycle of addiction.

Talk to your husband when he comes home and tell him what happened. Don't hide it. Just be open about what happened. Work together on the issues so you don't feel overwhelmed all by yourself.

When done safely, this release is actually marginally, if at all, unhealthy to your body. Rather than completely imploding, or exploding, engaging in just a little endorphin-producing bloodletting seems quite reasonable and harmless.

But she had not done it for years, and you just basically told her to go do it properly, yeah she really wanted to, but after all that hard work?

I'm not saying feel guilty but if it was something that was meant to be done we all would, and its not, yeah better safe than sorry as they say, but goodness. I'm kind of shocked slightly.

Helpme2, your children were on their way home they should be what you think about, you should worry about them

TheRedQueen I beg to differ. Deliberately causing injury to your body is well recognized as a psychological problem. This is an addictive behavior with many complex reasons for happening.

I am not saying completely imploding or exploding is preferable. But I am saying that self-injury in and of itself is not a healthy behavior. What needs to happen is to find a way to release the stress safely without causing physical harm to yourself (or to others for that matter).

I am not saying completely imploding or exploding is preferable. But I am saying that self-injury in and of itself is not a healthy behavior. What needs to happen is to find a way to release the stress safely without causing physical harm to yourself (or to others for that matter).

do you have any ideas on how to achieve that? as good as the cut felt, I don't want to get into that cycle again, even if the cutting itself wasn't the major problem back then I feel like it opens the door for the major problems........

I don't want to feel this way, I don't want to be a failure.

Your not a failure whatsoever Helpme2 thats something you need to realise before you do fall deeper again.

Things are totaly sent to try us, you need to address what exactly made you feel this way tonight, why you did it, what made you give up for that moment. and you need to, if possible just avoid the situation, it sounds like you relapsed while you were alone, maybe you should try your hardest to get out with friends, in an environment where you know it is impossible to do this, or with your children simply at the park if they are young, or shopping if they are teen

You are NOT a failure. You just had a relapse. And lets try to head off a spiral out of control ok?

Take a look here:

link removed

There are a ton of ways to try to get that release without cutting. A good one that I've had people try is to take an ice cube (a square one with corners, not a soft round one) and crush it in your hand. It causes pain without actually doing any damage to you. It can provide that quick temporary relief you need to snap out of the cycle.

I'd say try and find a more constructive outlet for it all.

Meditation is quite good for helping cope with stress, break addictions and give a positive mental attitude. It also clears and calms the mind which helps you think more clearly about how to deal with your problems.

my husband is late, why is my life always so difficult? When he gets here I am going to take him aside and tell him about my relapse hopefully he won't be mad, I am sitting here crying, I don't know how to fix this, I don't know how to fix myself. Life seems so hopeless, I hate this, I am sorry you all have to read this, but I don't have anyone else right now and I though typing it out would at least get it out of my head.

To avman,

perhaps I have a different perspective on this because I have burned myself on several occasions, never out of habit, but always out of necessity. It's hard to explain this phenomenon to someone who doesn't understand it personally. The most strife, and "psychological harm" I've gotten from my self-inflicted wounds have come from people's inaccurate judgements upon viewing them. When the world you live in is unfair and oftentimes brutal, and you feel hopeless and enraged by this fact, it seems rather commendable to choose to hurt yourself for some sense of release, rather than lashing out and hurting someone else.

Dont apologise, its exactly what this site is for and we are all here to listen otherwise we would not be here.

Ok, you had a relapse, its not too big a deal, if you can have a relapse and pick yourself back up it shows exactly what a strong person you are, the fact that you can share this with your husband is brilliant, alot of people would not be able to.

So long as he understands, you dont need to do this alone, like i said, try not to sit at home alone alot. What is it exactly that gets you so upset that you feel the need to do this? do you actually know?

i sincerely doubt that she would of hurt someone else, i was in a mess like this for a while and the last thing i wanted was for someone to come and give me the advice to do it but do it properly.. sorry but i just dont agree, i guess maybe im wrong to you

Typing it out is a great idea. Thats a release - see?

Your husband loves you. He will not be mad. He will want to support you and help you through this.

I know life can be really difficult. Trust me, I've been through hell and back and was awfully close to suicide a few years ago. But I made it with the help of friends, counseling, and some medication. You don't have to do this by yourself. Thats what your loved ones and counselors are for. You work on things together so that it doesn't seem so overwhelming.

By the way, crying is another fantastic release. I highly recommend it. Get a good one going with dry heaves, snot flying out your nose, and horrible noises. Those completely tire you out and believe it or not, you'll feel better once all those emotions come rushing out of you.

And remember you are NOT a failure.

it seems to me like you have fallen into the habit of having a negative attitude. A negative attitude causes you to think things like: nothing is going my way, everyones against me etc.

I do not know everything that has happened in your life, but I urge you to rise up above your troubles. Try having a more positive attitude about life. It may be difficult but if you want to have a positive attitude you can. It is all about will power and if you want it enough you will succeed.

Harming yourself and being negative just means that those who have caused you to be that way are winning. Rise above them. Life is difficult for us all, but we can make it much more difficult for ourselves by believing the world is against us.

You cannot go back in time to change things. But you can focus on the present to change the future.

perhaps I have a different perspective on this because I have burned myself on several occasions, never out of habit, but always out of necessity. It's hard to explain this phenomenon to someone who doesn't understand it personally. The most strife, and "psychological harm" I've gotten from my self-inflicted wounds have come from people's inaccurate judgements upon viewing them. When the world you live in is unfair and oftentimes brutal, and you feel hopeless and enraged by this fact, it seems rather commendable to choose to hurt yourself for some sense of release, rather than lashing out and hurting someone else

RedQueen I understand it more than you think. It is still unhealthy. Comparing it to even more unhealthy behaviors like harming others does not make it ok and it certainly does not make it commendable.

This is not a criticism of the people themselves. It is a statement that their behavior is unhealthy.

Dont apologise, its exactly what this site is for and we are all here to listen otherwise we would not be here.

Ok, you had a relapse, its not too big a deal, if you can have a relapse and pick yourself back up it shows exactly what a strong person you are, the fact that you can share this with your husband is brilliant, alot of people would not be able to.

So long as he understands, you dont need to do this alone, like i said, try not to sit at home alone alot. What is it exactly that gets you so upset that you feel the need to do this? do you actually know?

Grrr said all and everything I would've said. I also think it's wrong to encourage self injury. Like anything which is addictive it may have some positives (relief) but overall it's something I think most people would be happy to not be addicted to.

RedQueen I understand it more than you think. It is still unhealthy. Comparing it to even more unhealthy behaviors like harming others does not make it ok and it certainly does not make it commendable.

This is not a criticism of the people themselves. It is a statement that their behavior is unhealthy.

If you hate the world around you, perhaps even hate yourself, feel utterly hopeless, want to kill yourself but don't because you still love others enough not to want to put them through that, then yes, cutting yourself is incredibly commendable, tragic, but still a better option.