what does being "shallow" mean?

I would describe being 'shallow' as being materialistic and incapable of having deep conversations with people, but other people often use it to mean anything from self centered and ignorant to trying to have a lot of short term relationships.

Some of my criteria for shallowness:

- Judging people based on their appearances (how hot they are, whether or not they wear brand name clothes)

- Spending lots of time in front of the mirror; overly concerned with her own appearance

- Caring only about gossip and other people's lives

- Lacking own beliefs; just goes with whatever is 'cool'

Basically.. anyone who is only concerned with appearances. That's my definition, anyway.

That was a pretty good one, Managor.

I'll give you a good example of what I consider shallow: The person who skips out on a big event they had been looking forward to because they have a zit. lol. Or, will not date a man bc he has a zit or imperfect fingernails or something petty like that.

I associate shallow with a belief that outside things are more important than people and heart. These folks are all about image.

"Shallow" to me means being very close-minded. Shallow people tend to base their judgements on the cover rather than the content, and if not that, then they have a very distinct criteria for which the person's personality should meet. They never broaden their horizons when it comes to meeting new people. They stay on the shallow end of the pool where there is little diversity and chance. If you become more open-minded, you become more accepting of different types of people, thus creating a more diverse world for you to... dive into.

but aren't we all into some type of looks? Who can honestly say that they would immediately date a girl that doesn't look attractive to them at first?

I don't think immediately dating someone is ever a good idea, and I certainly wouldn't date a stunningly attractive person without first getting to know them. To me, as long as their appearance doesn't repell me then I am for the sake of compatability indifferent to their appearance.

Sometimes it's very difficult to not judge someone purely based on physical appearance. I don't know why I find myself fixating on it when I actually have strong beliefs about a person's attitude/'cause' being the most important factor.

Does anyone else have similar feelings about this? It's a bit hard to explain, sorry.

Sometimes it's very difficult to not judge someone purely based on physical appearance. I don't know why I find myself fixating on it when I actually have strong beliefs about a person's attitude/'cause' being the most important factor.

Does anyone else have similar feelings about this? It's a bit hard to explain, sorry.

yes I have the problem, but it's not so huge. I realize people are not what I really think they are by the way I see them physically, but sometimes I can't help but judge them based on clothes they wear, tattooes, their small interests, etc...but I mean no hatred or harm EVER! It's just when I might be looking for a potential mate in a female, I judge like that I said above.

Now I wouldn't ever not talk to people like that, it's just stuff that turns me off at first physical appearance. But if they ever wanted to talk to me, I'd be open to doing that.