"I used to like you"..what is the meaning?

I have heard this line in every possible situation I can think of. A girl I barely ever talked to, a girl that I didn't know knew who I was, I girl I knew but we have never flirted or acted attracted to each other, a girl that broke my heart.

Seriously what is the meaning of the phrase, "I used to like you" or "I use to like you"?

I feel like my life has finally been put on track, then she contacts me and slips in "I used to like you". Like no duh, I don't call you or try to have contact for a reason. I ignore her because she blew me off for her ex, make it clear I don't want to be friends, and the almost a year down the road the texts come. They don't phase me, and then she manages to slip in "I used to like you".

The wonder of this phrase, is it basically implies a rejection does it not? At the same time it doesn't say "...but not anymore". Like a cliff hanger.

Now I'm thinking about, she ruined my a part of my life, I gave her every sign I don't want to be her friend. Now she hits me in my only weak spot with "I used to like you".

Now I feel this is an important question that I think a lot of other fellas out there could use an answer from some woman on here.

What does that phrase mean. I have heard it in all different contexts. As much as I want it to not mean a rejection, I just have to know is it meant to be confusing or to make the person your saying it to angry. I took it as a kick while I'm already down. I have still been doing good, but it's just something I need to hear some insight on.

The wonder of this phrase, is it basically implies a rejection does it not?

I would say it most certainly implies rejection. Any deeper analysis will just confuse you more running around chasing your tail trying to find some elusive answer. It could mean they got bored, found out something about you they didn't like, met someone else, mistake the fading of the initial fireworks when you first meet someone as "this isn't right", etc.

Why tell someone when they already know it though? Why not keep it to yourself. I have never heard a guy say that to a girl, I have seen and experiened being told this only by women.

For any one of 100+ reasons. Take your pick...your guess really is as good as anyone else's... Actually, your idea on that is better than anyone else's on here because you know her and we don't...

I think it was because she felt you may not have "gotten it" so she had to let you know more directly, she had to convince herself of that truth to make it easier for her to walk away, she had a bad day and took it out on you like that, or she's just plain mean...

But regardless of the answer, she's gone. The answer really doesn't matter...

I know exactly, but the idea of her thinking me not getting it would be rediculous on her part. I have not once called her in over a year. I think that is enough.

Doesn't that say: I got you, you chose some other guy over me, you got sick and bored with me, and I didn't call you because I thought it was best for me just to put my head down and walk away and not hurt myself further by trying to be your friend.

If I can see saying that if I had made one attemp to call her, one attempt to confront her about how she just ignored me, basically made a fool of me.

I just feel like thats a kick in the face. You don't reject someone who showed you that they aren't fighting for you. That would be like your first girlfriend coming up to you and saying to you, he I don't want a relationship with you. You wouldn be like "What the heck girl, it's been years, why are your bringing that up?"

I've never said this to a guy (that I can remember!)

Maybe... she used to like you, but you never made a move on her, even though she was heavy-duty flirting with you. so, she moved on.

that is how I feel about a guy - but I never told him that!

I've never said this to a guy (that I can remember!)

Maybe... she used to like you, but you never made a move on her, even though she was heavy-duty flirting with you. so, she moved on.

that is how I feel about a guy - but I never told him that!

Well she kissed me and then acted like it never happened when it came to going to the next step. The thing is right around that time her EX came around and she started blowing me off. That's why I just think how stupid would she be to say that to me like I didn't know.

I don't really know how else to explain that I feel this is crazy. I mean I couldn't see a woman who divorces her husband going up to him and saying "I used to like you". He would say "Uhhhh yea...we got married remember".

It's basically a slap to my face to bring something up like that. I gave her every signal that I don't want anything to do with her because she chose some loser over me, and now she is bringing up, I used to like you.

I think she needed to say "I used to like you....I'm sorry I'm a backstabbing friend who recycles men"

It's so akward to be told that phrase, it's an insult, but it is not direct.

yeah, it's just all out rude and obnoxious. don't worry about it. people say stupid stuff all the time. it's really obnoxious.

like just a few hours ago. this guy who asked me out sent me an e-mail. He asked how I was doing. He said he was sick and had to cancel this other date he was supposed to go on.

Does he want me to send him chicken soup or something? Am I supposed to feel bad for him? And more importantly, does he think I'm going to go out with him after what he told me?

yeah, it's just all out rude and obnoxious. don't worry about it. people say stupid stuff all the time. it's really obnoxious.

like just a few hours ago. this guy who asked me out sent me an e-mail. He asked how I was doing. He said he was sick and had to cancel this other date he was supposed to go on.

Does he want me to send him chicken soup or something? Am I supposed to feel bad for him? And more importantly, does he think I'm going to go out with him after what he told me?

Oh man...what a freaking LEEW-WHO-WHOSER...

Only time I've ever heard this said would be in a casual way, meaning exactly what the words imply.."I used to like you." It normally just means that the person previously had a crush on you or something to that extent, but never made a move. They may or may not still have these feelings. If it is someone you dated saying this, then the meaning changes entirely ofcourse.

Sadly...yes very sadly. The very last time I hung out with this girl that is basically the samething that happened to me. It was the last straw.

She called me and said that her "date" with her ex had been cancelled. OUt of no where, like it was nothing. That knocked the wind out of me, my face turned completely red, the first gut wrench of this whole 10 month healing process. Then she asked what I wanted to do when we hang out since she was on her way to my house. That whole night was torture to keep a content face.

For me to here that a guy did that to, that mother ******. Yes, he will get his, what goes around comes around. I once read a post about a guy delivered a pizza to his ex, and someone replied that he is not a pizza boy. She has no respect for him for doing that, and ever since then I have decided that you don't have to be there for someone who uses you. Next time they need you to really come through, don't be there for them. People like that make me angry.

Always the people that care the most get hurt, and the ones that don't care get treated the best. I'm doing the best I can, yea I'm going to be alright..got a job interview coming up.

Only time I've ever heard this said would be in a casual way, meaning exactly what the words imply.."I used to like you." It normally just means that the person previously had a crush on you or something to that extent, but never made a move. They may or may not still have these feelings. If it is someone you dated saying this, then the meaning changes entirely ofcourse.

exactly, I heard it casually many times where it didn't bother me because I didn't ever have the feeling of attatchment. For someone to say that when they know you were very stongly attatched and you showed them that you were trying to heal yourself by staying away., that is wrong. After all that and they say that, the meaning is different, it hurts.

exactly, I heard it casually many times where it didn't bother me because I didn't ever have the feeling of attatchment. For someone to say that when they know you were very stongly attatched and you showed them that you were trying to heal yourself by staying away., that is wrong. After all that and they say that, the meaning is different, it hurts.

Yeah, hopefully the fact that she could say something so hurtful will ultimately help you forget her. She's obviously not worth your time or attention.

I second Annie in saying good luck with the interview! I'm sure you will blow them away! (and maybe you will also meet a new, really hot female in the process)

people who do internet dating do date tons of people at the same time, does he seriously need me to feel bad about him cancelling his other date?!?!?!

I know, that is what I hate about Internet dating. It's been my experience that women get tons of email and sometimes don't even read it all. Copy and pasting emails to several people to save time, etc. And people aren't who they say, etc. It's all about picking good guys out of crowds of others and guys doing the same thing...very much a shotgun approach and a bit impersonal I think...

Yet I've done it a lot myself and have had good relationships come from it...