Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Straightening upper back/lower neck

easyguy
    Platinum Member

Straightening upper back/lower neck

I have a slightly arched upper back/lower neck, but I'm no hunchback either. It's not an insecurity of mine, but it's hard to find clothes that look good on me.

Is there anything I can do that can gradually make that part of my body more erect? I'm afraid if I don't pay attention to it, years from now I may be slightly hunched, which I'd prefer not to be. I figured since I'm young, I can try and do something about it.

Any suggestions?

annie24
    yoga.

focus on walking and sitting upright, tall spine.

don't be a hunchback. it's not attractive.

Scotcha
    Contrary to popular belief, having a "hunchback" isn't due to poor posture, it's actually a result of osteoperosis. So.. Keep up with your calcium intake!

What you're describing sounds like scoliosis. I have it too only my back curves slightly to the left. If it's mild usually no treatment is required but I believe that in more severe cases a brace can be worn and I also believe surgery is sometimes preformed.

annie24
    oh! go to the doctor then and get things checked out!!!!

RayKay
    Have you ever been checked for scoliosis? My ex had mild scoliosis, as did my brother. They had certain stretching exercises to do, to reduce some of the complications, but in severe cases braces or surgery can be done.

If it's bad posture (ie NOT scoliosis or another medical issue), you may want to look into yoga, swimming, working out to strengthen your muscles to support your back, as well as to work on improving posture (yoga and dancing are good for this). And, visualize yourself walking tall, like there is a rope coming out of top of your head holding you up from the sky!

easyguy
    Platinum Member
    Thanks, everyone.

It's most likely do to poor posture. I've spent many a days sitting at the computer, which is a laptop, and thus I have to look down some to use. I guess I've never really thought about focusing on walking tall and straight, but I'll try to get into the habit of doing that now (and in other situations, too, not just walking or running).

Various bad postures have most likely attributed to it.

annie24
    while I was writing my thesis, I had some horrible lower back pains, probably from the way I was sitting. now that it is over, it is gone!

maybe readjust your laptop and get some "ergonomically correct" desk furniture.

IronLion85
    I used to look a little hunched over myself... but if you just look in a mirror every once in a while and get used to how it feels to be all straightened out you can undo it pretty easily.

shes2smart
    If possible, you might want to get checked out by a chiropractor. In addition to doing a complete exam of your spine, he or she can instruct you on proper alignment/posture and give you exercises to help you maintain proper alignment.

Besides that, getting a chiropractic adjustment usually feels really good.

CluelessGuy321
    Silver Member
    Hi.

As a fellow IT geek, I can tell you one thing: GYM!!!!

And when you walk, you need to get used to walking tall by looking into mirrors often and tightening your ab muscles.

You need to go to the gym and do Core workouts on the abs and obliques and back excercises like rows and pull downs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Top Threads
Protein sources that are easily chewable
I need some protein sources that are relatively easy to chew. Chewing seems to set off my TN. Even though I like meat excessive amounts of chewing
Athletes foot - finally healed!
ive had a horrible horrible case of AF for a full year. I believe I contracted it after showering in a sleazy motel for 2 weeks without shower shoes

Featured Threads
Controlling or very opinionated?
Hi, my name is Michael. I came here for some advice on my girlfriend and I's relationship. I am 17 and she is 16 and we've been dating for just shy
Women who prefer/only date younger men
I am dating a woman who is 9 years older than me. However, going after younger guys doesn't appear to be her pattern. In fact, the age difference
Still feels like the first day...
Long long story short.. I'll Coles notes it. I meet the love of my life at a gig I was playing, we ended up not spending a single night apart for
My partner and I have different goals, values, and thinking, should we continue?
My partner and I met a couple years ago when she moved to the city I lived in. We had shared a group of friends but never really knew each other
I'm hurt and not sure what to do ...
So ,this is my first time posting here ,but My mother always said it helps to write things down .So here it goes ! ^^ For a couple of weeks now
Who Am I and What do I Want?
Hi everyone, and thanks for reading this. At the moment I feel like I am having some sort of identity crisis, whilst not knowing what I want for
Is it wrong that I still talk to my ex boyfriend?
My ex boyfriend dumped me last week because he was pressuring me to have sex and I wasn't ready to have sex and he keeps calling and texting me every
Ask For Advice