How long is too long?

I was just wondering if y'all had any thoughts on how long is too long between talking to someone line and meeting.

I have been talking to a wonder man on and off for the last 6 almost 7 years and we are planning on meeting in July. We have been friends and have grown very close. We have been Off and On because of the distance, I dont think either of us at frist thought it would have lasted this long or would have started to become something we would really ever talk about meeting. Over the last 6 years we have gone through supported each other through family deaths, college, break ups and the birth of my daughter. Well for the last 9 months we have gotten even closer, talking on the phone every night and off and on sometimes durning the day. Both of our families are supportive of us meeting finally and we have set a date.

In the back of my mind i still wonder if we have waited to long.. if now it will be weird.. or if for what ever reason it doesnt go well ill loss a good friend. I really dont think that i would loss him as a friend. but still i worry.

6-7 years? Wow, that's a long time. But you might as well meet! At least you know you have a connection if you've been in contact for that long. Are you both just looking to remain friends or thinking of turing your friendship into a romantic relationship?

• 2 weeks later...

I was almost in the same situation.... except we "only" chatted online for 4 years before finally meeting last year in February. He was everything I expected him to be and we also found out that we were very attracted to each other. I had a wonderful time while I was there and we grew a lot closer in just a few days. I have been back to see him twice since then, its a very long distance relationship (talking 16 to 18 hours of flying) so it is not easy to deal with. We are both trying to keep it light until we may be in the right conditions to decide if we want to try living together (or not). I am still studying at the moment so that is my priority for now

Wishing you the best of luck....in the worst of cases I dont think you would lose a friend if you have that connection online...I know that if it doesnt work out with my guy we would both still want to keep in touch on a friendly basis.

• 2 weeks later...