hey, im a teenager and im wondering...just as a general question...is there really such a thing as 'feminine' lesbians? - cause the typical thing is to always hear about 'butch' lesbians (i know its true that stereotypes should be ignored and that they arent necessarily true), but i wud just like to confirm whether or not a lesbian/bisexual woman can be as 'feminine' (clothing, 'mannerisms', etc) as a straight woman/gurl. Lately ive been doing a lot of 'questioning' of my sexuality and preferences and ive realised i tend to like 'girly' girls (even considering i am one of them myself! - i always, always pay attention to 'girly' details...earrings, jewellery..and i loove pinks/blues)...which cud potentially mean i prob knw at least someone who is very gurly and lesbian (only they havent told me)...cause 'girlieness' is associated w/'straightness'... what do u think? thank you!

The 'girly' lesbians are beautiful. They are always classic, and never dress like sluts. I love girly women. I think girly women with long wavy hair and beautiful lips and eyes are just stunning. Catherine Zeta-Jones is my goddess. She once made me question myself but then I thought about the act of actually interacting with another female that way and decided it wasn't for me (unless, of course, catherine asked me herself to do naughty things with her. lol)

She once made me question myself but then I thought about the act of actually interacting with another female that way and decided it wasn't for me (unless, of course, catherine asked me herself to do naughty things with her. lol)

Ummm, I'm getting a bit confused here. In another thread you are dead set again this. Any chance that your bf is picking up on any of this and interpreting it in a way that you don't intend?

Just throwing the thought out there.

Yeah there are all kinds of lesbians, I know a few girly ones, met a group of them just last week. Sometimes you get the butch/girly couples that simulate a masculine/femenine relationship, sometimes they are both butch, sometimes both girly and sometimes neither.

That was long before I even knew him. I still think some girls are just flat out georgeous but I don't say "damn i'd do her" lol

Point taken.

I do understand that sentiment in general, though I can't say I'm one (and I tend to think most guys in general aren't) to make a similar comment about other guys!

There are as many types of lesbian out there as there are types of women.

And imo one of the reasons the 'butch' stereotype is so well known and immediately associated with lesbianism is that it seems to be easier for homophobes to have a go at them. "Look! They just want to be men!!" ect... ~rolls eyes~

Im a lesbian, well actually I think I might be bi, thats the thing with girly lesbians, theyre always bi I find... but anyway. Im 24 and Im girly, I like my long hair, my bangs, necklaces and a touch of make up. My gf is more built but she is girly as well. Neither of us like the butch look at all. So yes there are girly lesbians.

There are lesbians that are feminine (just like there are straight women, straight men, and gay men, and bisexual men and women that are also "feminine").

The world is full of diversity. A person's sexuality does not always correspond with their physical expression of masculine or feminine qualities.

BellaDonna

I know many lesbians and, like gay men, they run the spectrum from femme to butch. As someone mentioned upthread homophobes like to view all lesbians as man hating "Butches" and gay men as wanna be women...There is SOME truth to the stereotypes, but not as overwhelmingly pervasive as one might think.

I believe that partially this has to do with the fact that a woman's sexuality is more fluid than that of men; a lot of women have the ability to fall in love with someone of either gender. That doesn't mean that they're all bisexual, but women can easily fool themselves. They can believe they are straight because they really DO have feelings for guys. With gay guys it's different. They usually don't accidentally fall in love with girls. What this has to do with the whole butch/femme thing? Well, I think if people look really gay (butch girls and afeminate guys) then they will question themselves sooner. And it's a lot harder for them to hide their sexual orientation. Other people will think they are gay so they could just as well admit it.

Interesting thoughts...I could definitely see how it would be more difficult for a woman to come to terms with sexual orientation, as opposed to a man...for men its much harder to deny. If they are aroused by members of the same sex, its easier to identify as a gay or bisexual. With women, its not always so easy because its also linked to emotions. I'm sure even lesbians can fall in love with men which may complicate matters further. Or, on the flip side, many straight women may develop crushes on close female friends. So where, for women, does one draw the line? I guess its up to each person to decide- because I'm not really sure myself.

lol, funny quote, it's just a shame some of us were painted with a stamp made from half a potato
hey Carnatic, don't knock the potato stamps! i used to make Christmas cards with them, and i think they look cool! i'm sure lots of people feel the same way about you.

giggly... observing 'lipstick' lesbians happens to be a pastime of mine, and there is an unending supply, trust me. some of the ones i know personally are very pretty and not at all bi.

the 'butch' stereotype is a holdover from a different era when short haircuts, plaid shirts and generally imitating mens' looks were in fashion for lesbians. you can still find this retro look today, but i think it's now only popular among a small percentage of the many girls who like girls.

We are all sexual creatures, and some of those girly beautiful girls although may 'say' that they are heterosexual, maybe if put in a threesome situation would make out with another girl for the pleasure of their spouse. That does make them bi. I have never met any girly lesbians personally, they always have a masculine streak about them.

Everyone here has given such beautiful responses, and yes, there are lesbians of all types out there, including girly. Lesbians are as wide and diverse as gay men, bisexual people, and heterosexual people in this world.

I attend an all women's college, and there are a lot of lesbians in my school. thereforeeee, I see a wide variety of gay women every day, and believe me, most of them don't fit the stereotypical butch lesbian idea.

It's true that there are some very butch ones, a few who look exactly like men. Some are even transgender. But there are also the very feminine ones, with their skirts, nail polish, makeup, and long hair. There are the androgynous ones, who look like handsome women or pretty men. (I'm most attracted to the androgynous ones. And then there is everyone in between. A lot of them look just like the heterosexual students on campus. Most of them, you wouldn't know unless you asked or unless they were out.

Whenever I attend an event that my school's GLBTF organization holds, I am pleasantly amazed at the sheer variety of lesbians/bisexual girls my campus has. And I'm always learning that someone who I didn't know was gay (because she looks just like everyone else) is actually gay.

You don't have to have a faux mohawk or gel your hair, and you don't have to wear collared shirts and baggy pants, to be lesbian. If you like being feminine, then be a feminine lesbian! There will always be some women who find your "type" attractive.

• 1 month later...