Ask For Advice

Thread: Sleep problems after breakup

rosstheboss

Sleep problems after breakup

It's coming up for almost 6 months now and it still hurts.
    My biggest issue is that I am still not sleeping properly and after 5 months it's starting to give me problems. Has anyone got any suggestions for not only getting to sleep but for STAYING asleep?
    I still have that aching pain in my neck shoulders and arms which I am convinced is excess adrenalin pumping through which would explain why sleeping is a problem.

I don't talk to her unless it's just being polite. In my head I know that taking her back would be stupid because she changed so much, she treated me quite badly towards the end and it would just never be the same. But my heart would have her back in a second I'm sure.

Sorry that turnned into a bit of a rant! So to recap: how can I STAY asleep?

Thanks

bobo85
    What helped me sleep right after my breakup was exercise and a hot bath. When you exercise your body is using a lot of energy so when you go to bed you are tired. Try lifting weights for an hour in the morning and then go jogging for 30 mins in the evening. When your tired, the last thing you want to do is be awake. So hit that gym. Also the hot bath before bed raises your body temperature which helps you fall alseep better.

If you have to...go to the drug store and ask the pharmacist for something that can help you sleep better.

kadvati79
    Platinum Member
    For the first week after my breakup I took sleeping pills. I can't remember what they were, but they did have the side-effect of making me drowsy and slightly headachey during the day. But I got a fantastic nights sleep. Once I was able to get a few weeks worth of sleep my patterns came back fine and I was able to sleep without it.

Having said that, the fact it has been five months and you are still experiencing problems is of concern. Do you know why you are still troubled? Is it anxiety over the past, or anxiety over the future? I notice you are 22, do you exercise regulary? For myself, I have a very fast metabolism and if I don't exercise regulary I tend to not sleep for very long.

Also, do you lie in bed awake? It is best to get up if you don't feel tired and go do something constructive, such as going for a jog, reading a book, calling a friend, etc... But don't do these things in the bedroom. The bedroom should be a place of SLEEP. If you do this, your body will become tired to the point where you will have no trouble sleeping. Also, make sure you are waking up at the same time every day, regardless of it being a weekend or weekday - good luck!

crvers
    Have you consulting with a doctor for sleeping pills. Lack of sleep is never good. If your depressed not getting any sleep can really make it worse.

I got into the gym thing. Started going almost everyday just to get my system to calm down and be tired. I did it until I couldn't move. It helped.

But maybe some sort of anti-depressent or sleeping med's could help.

Midgi
    I have had similar problems when I broke up with my ex twice. At first I would go out lots to keep things off my mind and I would drink some wine before I go to sleep (this helps you fall asleep)

The other thing I did was get an audio book, and everytime I would wake up I would turn it on and listen to it... so that I would not start thinking about him and hype myself up.

The gym idea is good aswell.. but if you are as lazy as me even a breakup cannot motivate you

Top Threads
Ex texted me sorry why
We were together for nine years. She dumped me 2 months ago. Been doing no contact for a month she started a relationship a week later. Overlapping
Ex and his wife will be at my friends house.
I will be helping my friend and her husband unpack this weekend after they move into their new home. Problem? The worst ex I've ever had and his wife
i acted so crazy and i cant forgive myself
me and my ex were together for almost 2 years. i was her real first bf and she was the first real girl i loved. towards the end of the semester (we
he doesn't love me anymore....should i stop fighting for him?
ok so this is a complicated one. My boyrfriend of 6 years and i just broke up 2 weeks ago and i am devastated about it. i truly do not understand why
What is he thinking...
My ex boyfriend of 4 years and I had a really bad break up. Mostly because I wouldn't leave him alone after the break up. He's blocked me off
What happened with us
I don't know where to began with this little while ago I met the most amazing woman you could say we are like two peas in a pod. have the same
Unsure
So I dated a guy for 2 years and everything was wonderful for the first year and a half. After that I couldn't stop pressuring him to get his

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Weird crazy breakup
Here goes. We was together 4 and a half years, lived together for the most of that with her grandparents, yeah moved in pretty quick because of
is my bf racist? is there a future?
I am a bit dumbfounded and confused.. pls comment.. I have been dating my bf for 3 years. I look asian and he looks european. Things have not always
Great conversation but she Ghosted me?!
When I asked for her phone number, she kinda looked at me (the really dude? face). I knew it was over, but seriously it bothers me that we had a
My Girlfriend's Extreme Anger and Dramatic Behavior Are Ruining Our Relationship
This is gonna be a long one. Bear with me.. Okay, so this is my absolute first post on any forum ever. I am a 21 year old male, and I am currently in
Wrapping your head around an incurable condition
How does one do that ? While my condition is not fatal it is incurable and my life quality will steadily deteriorate over time. Most possible will
My mom kept a secret for 28 years
I'm 28 years old, my mom always told me to not sleep around, said she never slept w anyone till she got married, etc. well randomly tonight she tells
Confusing relationship with ex
So my ex and I broke up about 3 months ago. There was a lot of hurt, I was really depressed for the first weeks until I got back on my feet and
Ask For Advice