Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Promise rings - do guys wear them?

sirkindirkin

Promise rings - do guys wear them?

Hi,

I have a question about promise rings. Basically, I want know if it's common for a guy to wear a ring on his left ring finger if he's with a woman. I know that girls sometimes wear rings to show that they are taken, even if they are not yet engaged or married. But do men? I'm not talking junior high school stuff.

Thanks.
    Last edited by sirkindirkin; 04-19-2006 at 11:12 PM.

2. 04-19-2006, 10:38 PM
    Reason
    disrepectful

annie24
    Um, it is pretty uncommon. I've seen guys wearing rings that their girlfriends gave them, but I don't think that they advertised it as a "promise ring."

I think it's a personal choice.

Hmmm.... now when I think about it.... I only know one man who wears a ring that his gf gave him for christmas, but he wears it on his right hand. All the rest went ringless until they got married. Even the guys I know who are engaged or in very long term relationships - they don't wear "promise rings."

I think your girfriend is making stuff up.

Bottom line: If you don't want you, don't wear it!
    Last edited by annie24; 04-19-2006 at 10:42 PM.

4. 04-19-2006, 10:41 PM
    Reason
    not relevant anymore

bobo85
    I feel a 28 year old man shouldn't get a women a promise ring. Promise rings are for couples between the ages of 14-22. At age 28, the only ring you should get her is an engagement ring.

However, when i was in a relationship my ex-gf and i bought each other promise rings and yes i wore mine almost everyday on the right ring finger.

MewSkitty
    It was my idea for the promise rings, not my GF's, so it's not only the wemon that give them to their mates.

annie24
    I agree with bobo. Promise rings are basically for younger people who are "promising" to get married once they are a little older, finish school, etc.

At 28.... I don't see a need for a promise ring either. An engagement ring is what you give if you are promising to marry her, and you wear your wedding ring once the blessed event occurs.

melrich
    Platinum Member
    I've never heard of it or seen it but it may be different in the US. I don't see the point...why not just get engaged?

annie24
    I think the girlfriend wants to "advertise" that he is off the market, even though they aren't married.

Is she maybe a bit insecure?

sirkindirkin
    Well, maybe I shouldn't have called it a "promise ring" in the first place, because that sounds juvenile, but that's what she called it when I took issue with the whole thing.
    Last edited by sirkindirkin; 04-20-2006 at 01:49 AM.

annie24
    ah ha.... so, it's in the celebrity gossip mags!!! Of course, it must be true!!!

ummm... I would have to say, maybe about 1 in 100 men I know wear a promise ring or "engagement ring" before they are married on their left hand.

melrich
    Platinum Member
    I think she is taking you for a ride. The only people I have ever seen wear a ring on their wedding finger are married people.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Top Threads
Can't find agreement
My fiance's mom was killed by a drunk driver when he was eleven and since then he has been uncomfortable with a significant other drinking. I agreed
The girlfriend of a Nightclub Manager
Hello everyone! I'm looking for honest and real advice here. Just give it to me straight. So, I'm the girlfriend of a Nightclub Manager. He manages a
Are early stage of love as "real" as long term love?
For a long time, I believed that love in LTR were somehow more authentic, valid or real than love at the beginning of a relationship. When I see
Just a little down.
I'm not really sure what I'm looking for aside from venting, but I'm feeling down about something. Maybe you can make me realize I'm sensitive or
My girlfriend wants to throw a party at my place without any of my friends
We're in our mid 20s and have been in a relationship for 2 years. We're planning on moving in together when she's more financially stable, which
Should I take back my cheating X
Hi everyone. I have just opened a new account on here but did have a different account last year and had loads of really good advice on this forum so
Can two people with different activity levels work out?
My boyfriend and I had a discussion about this recently as I voiced my concerns. You see he is an active guy! He loves being outdoors and is very

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Don Juan President
I'm the president of Don Juans. I know all the top moves to make with females and I've had sex so many times. If a man needs advice ask right here.
Talk Dirty to Me!
OMGosh this is rampant. I have been serial dating in hopes of finding a long term relationship. BTW, nn the past two weeks I have been doing really
Is it wrong that I don't drive my parent's car to drive myself places as of now?
I am 20 and I have my driver's license but I don't have my own car yet so I have to rely on my parents and the bus to get me places but my parents
Friendship changes, how to deal?
Hello All, My friend and I are close. We consider our friendship like a brother & sister type. Lately, I've been noticing he has been treating me
Online Dating Descripton Sets Off Red Flags For Me, But Maybe Not for Others?
I have someone who has been giving me attention with Online Dating (yes, I thought I'd give it a gentle go. Dip my toe in the water even though I was
Help
Hi, I'm 37 and I have been with my partner for about 5 years and we have been married just under a year. About 5 months ago my now wife had an
Did you ever get over your first love? Post your stories!
Hello, I've been feeling kind of down lately because I always hear people saying that you never get over your first love, or you'll always compare
Ask For Advice