Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Promise rings - do guys wear them?

sirkindirkin

Promise rings - do guys wear them?

Hi,

I have a question about promise rings. Basically, I want know if it's common for a guy to wear a ring on his left ring finger if he's with a woman. I know that girls sometimes wear rings to show that they are taken, even if they are not yet engaged or married. But do men? I'm not talking junior high school stuff.

Thanks.

Last edited by sirkindirkin; 04-20-2006 at 12:12 AM.

2. 04-19-2006, 11:38 PM
    Reason
    disrepectful

annie24
    Um, it is pretty uncommon. I've seen guys wearing rings that their girlfriends gave them, but I don't think that they advertised it as a "promise ring."

I think it's a personal choice.

Hmmm.... now when I think about it.... I only know one man who wears a ring that his gf gave him for christmas, but he wears it on his right hand. All the rest went ringless until they got married. Even the guys I know who are engaged or in very long term relationships - they don't wear "promise rings."

I think your girfriend is making stuff up.

Bottom line: If you don't want you, don't wear it!
    Last edited by annie24; 04-19-2006 at 11:42 PM.

4. 04-19-2006, 11:41 PM
    Reason
    not relevant anymore

bobo85
    I feel a 28 year old man shouldn't get a women a promise ring. Promise rings are for couples between the ages of 14-22. At age 28, the only ring you should get her is an engagement ring.

However, when i was in a relationship my ex-gf and i bought each other promise rings and yes i wore mine almost everyday on the right ring finger.

MewSkitty
    It was my idea for the promise rings, not my GF's, so it's not only the wemon that give them to their mates.

annie24
    I agree with bobo. Promise rings are basically for younger people who are "promising" to get married once they are a little older, finish school, etc.

At 28.... I don't see a need for a promise ring either. An engagement ring is what you give if you are promising to marry her, and you wear your wedding ring once the blessed event occurs.

melrich
    Platinum Member
    I've never heard of it or seen it but it may be different in the US. I don't see the point...why not just get engaged?

annie24
    I think the girlfriend wants to "advertise" that he is off the market, even though they aren't married.

Is she maybe a bit insecure?

sirkindirkin
    Well, maybe I shouldn't have called it a "promise ring" in the first place, because that sounds juvenile, but that's what she called it when I took issue with the whole thing.
    Last edited by sirkindirkin; 04-20-2006 at 02:49 AM.

annie24
    ah ha.... so, it's in the celebrity gossip mags!!! Of course, it must be true!!!

ummm... I would have to say, maybe about 1 in 100 men I know wear a promise ring or "engagement ring" before they are married on their left hand.

melrich
    Platinum Member
    I think she is taking you for a ride. The only people I have ever seen wear a ring on their wedding finger are married people.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Top Threads
Some help ladies
What does it mean when a girl shows a lot of hope for us and verbal effection but then I break trust and now she says she only liked me but now the
Found intimate pics of bf on Internet
Hi, I've been with my guy for 5 months but known him much longer. Overall he treats me well and is a good guy but I keep finding things about him
My boyfriend of almost 3 years has been lying the whole time.
I don't know what to do, or how to forgive him. We have been together for almost 3 years. We have been perfect, we have a 1 year old little girl
Boyfriend of 3 years is blaming me for his smoking
Hi everyone. First a little background info on the situation: We're both 26 and we met 3 years ago online (not on a dating site) where we maintained
Not being "too" available.
I posted a few days ago about the younger guy I've been dating for 6 months and how he doesn't want to use BG/GF labels. I got some great feedback
Jealous of my boyfriend's wild past
But not exactly how you would think. I've made my peace with his sexual past, it's his "fun" and wild past that I can't get over. My boyfriend
Long Distance Boyfriend Suddenly Wants Zero Commitment?
I hope I can get my head on straight by posting this here, and appreciate all advice possible. I've been dating my boyfriend Long Distance for

valendtine's  day counseling
Featured Threads
Ugly pictures
We had a professional photographer come in at work. I used the photo and put it on my dating profile. But when my Roomie saw it,she said take it
Not being "too" available.
I posted a few days ago about the younger guy I've been dating for 6 months and how he doesn't want to use BG/GF labels. I got some great feedback
I am having difficulty accepting my boyfriends bisexuality for no reason
So here goes; the main reason why I got this account here is probably because I am so ashamed of myself and that because I am surrounded by either
relationship advice
hi... I'll start by saying i'm a guy, i just really needed a woman's point of view for this, so i hope you can help me! My mom is paying for my
Seeing ex tomorrow..so confused. Need advice!
Hi everyone. I'm really confused with my ex. Dated two years; he was very hurt by the breakup. He hasn't dated many people, and I was his first
Needing advice and/or support with ex girlfriend
Ok. Long story short... I ended up in a serious relationship with my best friend of 7 years. The last 3 years of which we were in a serious
I really need some advice and a outside opinion
I really don't know what to do ... My girlfriend and I have been dating for about a year now she is no longer attracted to me but tells me she loves
Ask For Advice