My girlfriend has to go in for tests today at her psychiatrist's office. They're testing her for learning disabilities that might have come from a car accident like… ten years ago. She doesn't remember what it's called but she said it has something to do with the order of things and how she gets things out of order and orders things or something. She says she doesn't think it's dyslexia. Does anyone know what they could possibly be testing her for? Thanks so much for your help.

Hi there,

Here are some links I found that talk about learning disorders...

link removed

link removed

link removed this is list of a bunch of them.

I hope this helps you and that some light can be shed on what is going on with your GF. Good luck and take care.

Dyslexia mainly effects a person's ability to read. It is not ususally something that results from a traumatic brain injury such as a car accident. Most research suggests dyslexia is somehow linked to genetics.

It is likely that they are looking to see if there are damaged or athropied (dead/inactive) cells/tissue in her brain. The ability to put things into order and sequence is believed to be a function of the hippocampus (part of the brain believed to be associated with memory) interacting with the temporal lobes. Any small damage to either one of these areas might affect the ability to place things into order.

However the human brain is extremely complex, and we do not even know all of it's functions yet. It's hard to tell exactly what they are testing for, (they may not even know exactly what to expect themselves until they run EEG and MRI tests, etc.)

Even if she did incur some damage during an accident- the brain is also very good at re-routing tasks to other areas. Sometimes when an injury occurs, other parts of the brain will take over certain functions.

I'm sure with more testing, both her and her doctors will have a better idea if any damage occurred, and if so how it affects her.

BellaDonna

No matter what they find, she's still the same person. If this is something that happened 10 years ago, and her life has been fine otherwise, I hope she does not let it ruin her self-esteem.

At the same time, if she is struggling to do certain tasks, and feeling bad about it- this testing can give her answers as to why, and can shed some light on the situation, while also providing her treatments or suggestions to adapt or enhance her life.

BellaDonna

Bella is absolutely correct. The brain is a wonderful piece of "machinery" and it has a way of re-routing itself and compensating for other areas of the brain that has been damaged. Once the doctors discover what is wrong and be able to properly treat what ever it is...your GF will be in great shape. Let us know how she is doing.