Questions to ask a potential partner/mate?

Ask them what they do for work.

What they like to do for fun- hobbies, interests.

Do they play any sports? Like photography? Birdwatching, cooking, whatever?

Find out what their family is like, as them if they have siblings, what it was like growing up where they did (and where did they grow up?)

What was college like?

(obviously don't pepper them all at once with these questions- ask on and let the conversation flow. It might take many dates to get all this info.)

I just googled it and got over 140,000 hits... LOL Does anyone know how he got that name. By the way I voted for Gore and then Kerry...

Among his family, he acquired the nickname "W" (for his middle initial; later Dubya, a literal spelling of a colloquial pronunciation of the letter), which later became a common public nickname, used both affectionately and pejoratively.

Source: Wikipedia

• 3 weeks later...

Look for enough things in common to build on, (like perhaps education level, where/how you were raised, family ties (are they still in touch with theirs?), culturally common things, spiritually common (religion), special interests/hobbies (golf or whatever)

It really ain't that hard.

I don't think you wanna ask about what they think about how they discipline children on the first few dates.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorite combos - what was your longest relationship (and/or when was your last one)? and why did it end?

There is skads of valuable information to be gained here. Even more important to me than the content of the answers is the surrounding stuff. These are not the questions you asked, but unspoken questions that get answered in the process, like ... Does he accept any responsibility for the demise of the relationship and if it really was all her fault does he acknowledge he had problems which led him to choose someone like that? Ideally I would get an answer here where enough time has passed since his last relationship that I am not likely to be a rebound girl, he has reflected on why it ended and the part he played and has learned from the experience, he has let it go and moved on and the reason for the breakup wouldn't cause me concern. Some bad signs here - Does he bad mouth her or show that he still harbors anger/resentment? Does he talk like he really blew it and still seems to have feelings for her?

Another informative question - what do you like in a girl/woman? Hopefully he will describe qualities you possess and consider important and this also gives him the opportunity to throw a compliment your way. Through his answer, you find out if he knows what he wants. You also find out where his priorities are. Is he focussing too much on superficial things? If he is a poor choice for a mate, he may talk about what he doesn't like rather than what he does like.

I ask harmless questions - about interests in music, movies, food, travel - to gague how they react to me - do they respond with a warm, engaging tone of voice/manner? Do they ask me the same questions back? Are they insecure and try to look "trendy" or interested in things they are really not interested in? Since my career involves asking many many questions I am keenly aware and conscious of not interrogating anyone especially a potential date/romantic interest. If I do ask a more personal question then I am careful to read the body language to see if I should go further or back off.

I like to ask lighthearted questions about family - to see what kind of reaction I get.

Before I will date someone I establish either by googling or asking that the person is available to date, doesn't use illegal drugs/drink excessively, etc.

I would say listen more than speak - and listen to body language and vibes too.

dont ask too many questions....

the conversation should come naturally

just be yourself and she should fall for you!!

Yeah but being yourself can be a bad idea some times. If your a literally non talkative person you'd be screwed in this situation, I'm not saying its happening this time, but you get the point. :splat:

Yeah but being yourself can be a bad idea some times. If your a literally non talkative person you'd be screwed in this situation, I'm not saying its happening this time, but you get the point.

well... think of it this way - if she were your gf, what would you like to talk to her about? and then go with those conversation topics. if you're not a very talkative person, then a good date is a quick coffee before going to see a movie. and then afterwards, you can talk about the movie a bit.

I remember in many of my relationships, 'being myself' meant going to a restaurant with her and we would both read the newspaper, that is a really comfortable zone for me, but obviously, being myself and being quiet and reading while on a date with a new girl is not going to get me very far, so I have to resist my quiet self and really try and force it

Don't try to force anything too much. Try to be as natural as you can and be genuinely curious. Maybe ask what her dreams/aspirations are and then follow up with how she hopes to go about accomplishing them ("how" questions are usually much better than "what" questions). Have a few things you would really like to know about her and then forget about trying to force them up in a conversation. The trick is to go in completely blank and then work off her and the surroundings and make a gradual/natural progression towards things you would like to know.