Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can guys in their 20s have a midlife crisis?

Phoenix_girl

Unhappy Can guys in their 20s have a midlife crisis?

Is it possible for guys in like their mid to late 20s to go through an early midlife crisis?

My ex and i stayed relatively close, but in like the past year or so ive seen signs of depression and he's been really moody. Does seem to take pleasure in anything, became really selfish and uncompromising. It's almost like he became the exact opposite of who he was. I've known him since he was 24 and he had wanted to be settled down by the time he was 26.....but as of now hes 27, still lives at home, has a crappy job that doesn't pay much, doesnt have a car of his own. he kept saying he needed to fix his life, clear his head etc.

Is he having a mid-life crisis? will he return to his old self once he finds what hes looking for?

annie24
    I don't think it's a "mid-life crisis." I think that the 20s are just a time of huge personal growth. He probably won't be the person he was before, because he's going to grow and change, one way or another.

Phoenix_girl
    if hes changing its for the worse. he used to be full of life and happy and always laughing.....now everything is "meh' to him and he jsut doesnt seem to care anymore. and in Nov his brother apprently took quite ill so im worried about him....truth is i havent talked to him since the end of nov.

annie24
    Well, he's your ex, so he's not your worry anymore.

Phoenix_girl
    He is [was] also my best friend.

annie24
    I know it's hard, but if you haven't talked since Nov, you don't really know what's going on through his head. You can't help him unless he really asks for your help. I'm sure he'll get through it. Most people I know in their 20s go through some kind of crisis or another.....

keenan
    I call it a quarter life crisis. Sometimes people go through growth spurts, for better or worse. My ex (and also best friend) is going through something similar, though the outer circumstances are different--fancy condo, amazing job, shopping for a porsche--but he's angry and depressed and selfish and completely uncompromising...a different person, nearly overnight. I don't understand it, either.

Phoenix_girl
    its hard. I went through my own little life crisis recently so i can kind of relate to him, but hes also very private about his feelings, so he would never come right out and say what he was feeling. i know i can't really help him, i just......i guess i just want to know if i'll ever get my best friend back :P

chai714
    A mid-life crisis does not exist. There is no such thing. It's yet another attempt at trying to explain why a person is facing difficulties in their life. The real and simple answer is that the choices they make directly affect their lives. Unless you want to call common symptoms of aging such as balding, memory loss, lower metabolism a "mid-life crisis," then it otherwise does not exist.

keenan
    Quote Originally Posted by chai714
    A mid-life crisis does not exist. There is no such thing. It's yet another attempt at trying to explain why a person is facing difficulties in their life. The real and simple answer is that the choices they make directly affect their lives. Unless you want to call common symptoms of aging such as balding, memory loss, lower metabolism a "mid-life crisis," then it otherwise does not exist.

It seems to me that if guys in their 40s and 50s view this particular unpleasant constellation of events as a crisis, it's their prerogative. As a thirty year old, I wouldn't presume to take their label away from them, since it seems to serve as useful shorthand for the package deal that they get handed at roughly the same time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Top Threads
Dated, broke up, reconciled, had a relationship, now dumped again
I took a hiatus from this site because in the past year or so, I made so many bad decisions that I felt I could no longer, in good conscience, offer
Ladies...Help please! Is my girl losing intrest or is she really busy?
Hey friends. I'd really appreciate some female advice here. We've been together for 7 months. I am 34, shes 25 and haven't been the best
how to help ex-girl (low self esteem) and help my relationship?
Girl Friend Broke up with me last week because she has low self-esteem issues possibly some depression. She says she canít be in a relationship right
Finding out he is married but I want him.... help
Right, this is a long story.... 8 Years ago, I left a cheating ex with our oldest and pregnant and since then I have been on my own. I have been
HELP Am I in a relationship but still in love with my ex? Cant figure it out!
Okay yíall here we go. Please bare with meÖI do tell a good story though so yea, cuz my life is a ing mess lmao OK! So I am currently in a
Is he interested or just playing with me?
So hereís my story. Iíve been with my boyfriend for 3,5 years and as we were about to cross 3 years mark our relationship was really struggling
My boyfriend keeps on cancelling plans
I have been with this guy for about 6 months, and we go weeks and weeks without seeing each because We usually do things on Friday and Saturday;

Featured Threads
What eNotAlone gave you?
I wonder mostly about long-time members who decided to be a part of this community. Has this forum enriched your lives, and if so, in what
How to end things with him
Iíve been dating this guy for 2 months. In the beginning he was very sweet and romantic, however I learned in the last month or so that he is
My ex bf told me he wants sex, nudes and me to loan him money until he's stable... Should I lend $?
Hello.. I am 22 I met my ex bf (21) 3 years ago in college. He dropped out of college after the first semester.. he didn't go to finals. He stayed in
How Should I have handled it?
My GF and I were together for about 5 months. Things were great except for some of my questioning her online activity which challenged her. All
My Ex Husband still berates me
Hello, first off I am not sure why I am on a forum but.. I need an anonymous outlet I guess because my friends and family all say the same thing
Yall ready for a messed up one...
Okay, so i cheated on my bf about 6 month ms into our relationship with a guy 20 years older then me at our work. And it was a rule that it was only
Iím at a really bad state of mind right now
Itís been a little over the month since the breakup, since then, heís messaged me 2-3 times about random topics (that I donít care about), and has
Ask For Advice