LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A question for the singles

A question for the singles

This obviously doesn't apply to anyone in a committed relationship, but only to those who are single (unattached) at the moment. How many people here enjoy being single? Who finds it to be a benefit and a blessing, instead of a curse? What are your reasons for this? Just curious and I'd like to hear people's responses. Thanks.

Ok, being single, as I'm right now has it's advantage as well as it's disadvantages. The benefits is u don't have to worry about constantly contacting the person nor worrying about whose feelings ur gonna hurt, u can date around, talk to lots of people, no restriction, and be at ur own pace. The main disadvatage is that at some point u really need someone u can talk to about things u wouldn't tell anyone and tell them about ur personal problems.

Right now, I'm ok with being single, never been in a relationship, though, I would like to and it'll come naturally.

I do enjoy the single life. Casual dates are fun, and I can focus on other things in my life rather than a relationship. But if I ran into someone who I'm very compatible with, I wouldn't try holding onto the single life just for the sake of being single.

Right, when ur single, ur aren't limited and u can focus on more things in life, but when ur in a relation, it's like u have to stop ur contacts to be with the SO, then if it was ur SO's b-day, but at the same time one of ur relative's b-day, u would have to choose one or the other.

I've been single since...well, the beginning of time. It used to get me really down in the dumps. But now I'm almost 21. I can't say I'm happy living the single life, but I have learned to be content with it. It can get lonely sometimes, but you need to learn not to base your whole life around it. I recently joined a dance club at college...funny thing is I'm probably the last person any friends would expect to do this...Even I'm surprised, because I really had no interest in it either. But I made a New years resolution to get out and be more sociable, and what a great way to start. I've met lots of new people, and the girls seem to dig the guys who muster up the courage to try it by themselves. I'm even thinking about asking one of them out this weekend at our next gathering...we'll have to see how that one goes, I hope I have enough courage to do it.

For the time being I enjoy being single, to an extent.

I look at others which swing in and out of relationships and their heartbreak, as I am usually the one that friends come to when they have problems because I listen to everything, thus I get an idea of the negative half. Most people around my age just aren't ready for commitment, and there are few (kudos to those that do though) that remain in happy relationships for over a year. Seems to be quite come and go while most are in the sex, drugs and alcohol live life hard phase and I'm not into any of that. Nonetheless, I have my freedom without an attachment to concern myself with other than my own work and education.

On the other hand, when people are in a successful happy relationship, I'm out on a group date with friends but I'm the one who is single, or get that general lonely feeling I do wish I was in a relationship and had someone myself, those few reasons plus many others that we all think of in a positive caring relationship.

It is a nice thought but all in all, I'll wait if thats what I need to do. I've been in prior relationships which left me with a sour taste so I know better than to rush into one which stability and time doesn't seem feasible.

Although I'm not single now, I have to say the last six months leading to my current relationship, I was actually in a very good place. I was getting a lot done, professionally and in my personal interests. Was really getting to the point where I understood a relationship would enhance my life, but not be the sole focus of it. Perhaps that's why my current relationship is a very healthy and happy one. I don't view it as "rescuing" me from single life. I don't put pressure on the relationship by overloading it with all kinds of expectations to completely fulfill my life. I rely a great deal on myself for that, and I learned how to do that by being single for a very long time.
    Last edited by Scout; 02-01-2006 at 02:25 PM.

Originally Posted by lillady898
    I do enjoy the single life. Casual dates are fun, and I can focus on other things in my life rather than a relationship. But if I ran into someone who I'm very compatible with, I wouldn't try holding onto the single life just for the sake of being single.

Those are my exact words!

I used to love being single. No strings, just going out having a laugh with mates etc.
    I've never really had a really serious relationship but I tend to find whenever anything happens between me and a girl and it goes wrong (which it always seems to do) I get really bothered about being single for a while afterwards.
    I'm like that now, I really liked the girl but it went wrong and now everywhere I look there are couples and I just want to be in a relationship with someone.
    I don't tend to get that many girls so every time something gets messed up I see it as a chance less.
    At the moment I just want a nice girl to come along and just kind of calm me down a bit. I've been feeling a bit rubbish about girls and stuff recently and have been drinking a bit more and going a bit wild at the weekends.
    So to answer your question at the moment I'm not enjoying being single much and I just want a nice relationship.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice