Ask For Advice

Thread: reasons why the ex may act mean or cold after the break up

deejay74

reasons why the ex may act mean or cold after the break up

i wasn't so sure where to post this so apologies if it's in the wrong forum...

i wanted to know some reasons why the dumper may act cold, mean, or indifferent to the dumpee even if the dumper is generally a nice person. why do they do that? just curious.

NJRon
    I can only imagine that there are tons of reasons... but two come to mind immediately (assuming it is a somewhat normal, loving relationship that just went awry).

1. They build a shell to protect themselces and it's much easier to do that with anger or feigned indifference.

2. As the dumper, they generally have a head start on the whole phases of loss cycle. As a result, they are in the anger phase (which they typically get to when they actually do the breaking up) while the dumpee just starts straight with denial... which makes it especially confuising to them why the dumper is acting the way they are... because, during that time, they're in denial

Just my thoughts... I had the same situation when my last relationship broke off and i couldn't believe how I was being treated. I mean, it was so bad I actually had all these strange excuses in my head to convince myself that there's no way the person I loved could actually be acting like this.

Talk about confusion

shes2smart
    On those occasions I've been the dumper, I put the distance (which could also be interpreted as coldness, meanness or indifference) between myself and my ex for my own best interests.

I had my own issues to sort out in the aftermath of the relationship...I was in no position to help my ex sort out his crap -- nor was it my place to do so.

A physical wound does not heal faster or better if you continuallly pick at it. You're supposed to leave it alone and let time do it's thing. The same applies to a broken heart...every additional post-break-up contact with an ex is like picking at a scab.

The ex may basically be a nice person, but if continuing to have contact with an ex is harming you, you have to look out for your own best interests first.

heavensent
    Plain and simple it's just easier to be mad. It's a defense mechanism that people use to try to protect themselves. They find it easier to hate you than to love and lose you. Sometimes it's hard to understand but if you've ever been the person who is hurt, you might find that you use this same tactic.

Shadows Light
    I don't call it mad. I call it dis-engaging. Showing no emotion anger, hurt, mad, happy, just a cool shell exterior keeps to task.

sometimes... there's already been tonz of emotion, tension.. and once you've made the decision that you have to move forward..you disengage. You don't feed the dragon in any way.

and as someone else said..the "DUMPER" is usually further in the process of releasing the relationship than the dumpee... they've had time to process it.

Dako
    The dumper has moved on emotionally.
    The dumpee has raw nerves and views the dumper through a magnifier looking for approval, remorse and a glimmer of once was.
    Slight indifference looks like a savage attack through that lens.

At least that's what's been going on in my world.

Boricua7
    I agree completely with heavensent. Being mad is a defense mechanism. It is just easier to hate a person because then you do not feel guilty when they are hurt. It's that simple.

Top Threads
Long Distance break up but I just want him back
Hi all this is my first post and I would really appreciate some advice and insight as I am hurting pretty bad and I am trying to cling to the hope of
Back Together with My Ex After More Than a Year.
So I'd like to share with you my tale of reconciliation. A little background - ex and I dated from around April 2015 to Feb 2016 (10 months). We had
What next?
So the 30 plus days of NC was broken by a skype call from my ex's daughter. I hadn't spoken to her in months so I couldn't refuse and it was nice to
Advice: I broke up a great relationship
Hi, 3 weeks ago I broke up with ex girlfriend of 8 months. For the most part all had gone smoothly, we had simmilar values, outlook on life, we
Questions for anyone who got back with their ex
I've asked this before but I thought I would seek more concrete answers because I'm curious. Those who have gotten back with an ex, how in the
The longest "want my ex back" story...ever! (possibly)
Hi everyone, I used to post here several years ago after going through a "very" tough breakup and...well...there's been a development...of
6 Weeks post BU - She hasn't contacted
Kind of just want to get this out... So 6 weeks ago my gf of 3 years (shes 29, I'm 32) broke up with me because I was unmotivated, distant

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Where do you draw the line? GF's and guy friends
[SIZE=3][FONT=Helvetica]Hey guys, need some quick help on this one. Please help [/FONT] [FONT=Helvetica] [/FONT] [FONT=Helvetica]Yesterday my GF says
OMG he has a wedding date.
All, A couple of years ago, I dated a guy. There were things that were amazing but also horrible. A little over a year ago, we reconnected. He
HELPPP!!! Boyfriend broke up with me out of the blue
hi. REALLY REALLY NEED SOME ADVICE AND HELP. my boyfriend recently broke up with me out of the blue and we were dating for 2.5 years. everything was
Why does this bother me so much?
Hey guys. So gf of 7 years has left me for another guy again long story short and some of you know the long. So I did the unhealthy habit of looking
My girlfriend of 3 years just told me she is polyamorous
I have no idea how to feel about it. She assured me she didn't want to force it on me and could live monogamously with me but the thought of
Dealing with inconsiderate, selfish people from dawn till dusk.
Not sure if this is posted in the right place, but here it is. Lately my life seems to be about dealing with people who are inconsiderate. From
Toxic relationship // venting
Sometimes writing everything out helps me get a better understanding of certain situations. I'm sorry for the long post, I do want some advice, but
Ask For Advice