The kinsey scale?

I was just wondering what other people think about this Kinsey scale thing. I think it is true that everyone is positioned on this imaginary line between gay and straight with bi in the middle.

But a few days ago I was talking to one of my gay friends about this and he said that he doesn't believe in bisexuality. In his opinion people are either gay or straight. I'm curious to know how other people feel about this?

btw, you can take the Kinsey Scale test here:

I had 2.2.... "You are mostly heterosexual".

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fairyfemale, I have heard of this kinsey scale. Many people have many believs about this scale. However according to psychologists and Psychiatrists the kinsey scale is something that is used to say wheather you are straight gay or Bi rather it can be used multiple times to gage your feelings towrds both genders in various situations. I guess the only way one knows whether he/she is gay/bi is by experimenting and seeing where one is most comfortable.

Interewstingly enough, going back to the Kinsey scale/ because every situation we may be at different ends of the scale we would all in effect be bisexual. Which we know isnt necisarily so.

As for your friends view on bisexuality it is legit. On the the other hand most male bisexuals are more sexually attracted to males. For instance they can have sex with another man but have trouble seeing them outside that light. With women a male bisexual may show affection but not nearly the same lust as he would for a man.

Hope this helps

James

The scale makes sense, everyone is going to exist somewhere on this scale. As far as the whole bisexuality thing that can be a touchy issue for some people both homosexual and heterosexual, my personal feeling is that bisexuality does exist and doesnt have to make sense to anyone who isnt bisexual. It seems that as human beings we want to lump people into categories and make it easier to define who that person is.

I'm gay and I do believe that bisexuality exists...At one point I actually thought I was bi, but I am definitely close to(Heck, smack dab on)the gay end of the spectrum...

But what I like about Kinsey's scientific studies is that there is no black and white. Different individuals don't have to force themselves to be something that they are not.

Grant it, I believe if you are bi you are going to ultimately have a predilection for one gender over the other...However, bisexuality does exist because it happens in the animal kingdom, quite frequently.

On the the other hand most male bisexuals are more sexually attracted to males. For instance they can have sex with another man but have trouble seeing them outside that light. With women a male bisexual may show affection but not nearly the same lust as he would for a man.s

Yeah, I dunno. I'm much more attracted to women, sexually and otherwise, than I am to men, but every now and then if the right situation 'clicks' with another guy I can be interested in taking it to the next level. So I'm pretty much the opposite of what you describe.

I tend to think that there are people all over the place on the Kinsey scale (and at different places perhaps at different points in their lives, for some people). I think the comments that some (not all) gay men make about there not being any truly bisexual men are based on (1) the reality that some gay men think, at some point in their self-awareness and/or coming out process that they were bisexual themselves, and they project this as a universal phenomenon onto others and (2) sexual politics within the gay community.

That's interesting.

Many scientists believe there's also a continuum between physical genders, since genital variations meet in the middle to create children of indefinate sex. Some have even gone so far as to dismiss the idea of two distinct genders.

It may be likely that behavior might have a similar ambiguity.

But then, I'm a just straight guy in the wrong forum

I personally believe that Bisexuality does indeed exist. Sexuality to some extent can be considered fluid. There are those which feel strict physical and emotional attachment to the opposite or same gender. Period.

Whereas, others can be in the middle but its a leaning middle. That is where bisexuality comes in I do suppose. Often you will hear individuals make a statement that I am attached to men like this, and women like that and I can co exist with both but prefer (insert gender here). Thus they lean more towards the gender they prefer but all in all still are bisexual with no strict preference.

Now there are those of us which can consider ourselves gay men or lesbians because we don't quite fit that middle. We find the one gender physically and emotionally to be the one, and there may be situations before (prior dating, marriage, etc...) which may seem bisexual but all in all its the true attraction in the end that determines it.

Anyhow, I do believe a lot of individuals are bisexual to a degree. Of course that varies from definition to definition, this is one reason bisexuality can be controversial. Some believe a sexual attraction deems Bisexual. Others believe deep emotional can be bisexual linking. Whereas yet others think you need both in an equal fashion before you can consider bisexuality. So to be honest you'll probably get a hundred answers from a hundred people if you asked for an in depth thought out definition for "What is bisexuality?" Some answers will be black and white but most will be in the thirteen or however many shades of gray.

The website mentioned at the top of the thread doesn't seem reliable. I took the test and got 'you are bisexual with homosexual tendencies' which is hogwash. I act straight but I've never had any opposite-sex attraction whatsoever. Apparently this qualifies me as bi. Who knew.

I think the Kinsey scale is a good idea, however, I also think that as a rule people tend to congregate at one end of the scale or the other and that true bisexuality (that is to say, equal sexual/emotional attraction to both genders) is quite uncommon. I also think once it becomes more socially acceptable to be gay the issue will become much less cloudy.

I think the Kinsey scale is a good idea, however, I also think that as a rule people tend to congregate at one end of the scale or the other and that true bisexuality (that is to say, equal sexual/emotional attraction to both genders) is quite uncommon. I also think once it becomes more socially acceptable to be gay the issue will become much less cloudy.

I agree with this.

For me I know that I like guys, period. There isn't any doubt. Moreover, at one point, I wondered whether or not I was bisexual simply because I found females to be aesthetically pleasing...And seeing as bisexuals like both genders I thought that would be a good way for me to be (Mainly due to holding out hope that there would be a woman that could turn me straight)...However, I'm definitely on the gay end of the scale.

But, I do think there are people who are genuinely attracted to both sexes. But ultimately you pick one or the other...No one ever straddles the fence their entire lives.

I applaud Kinsey's studies because he helped open the door for people who deviate from the "norm"(whatever that is).

To me it's just an issue of semantics.

For example, referring to "true bisexual" is, to me, very misleading. Bisexual is someone who is to any degree attracted to both sexes. Someone who is a 50/50 bisexual (which I agree is rare) is no "more" bisexual than someone who is 90/10. I think there are quite a few 90/10 people out there, and they're just as bisexual as the 50/50's, it's just that they strongly prefer (but not exclusively) one sex over the other.

I want to say that bisexuality is real but in my opinion, it is called bi-curious, confused, wanting to have ur cake and eat it too....!!! duno.

Some ppl have attraction to both sexes and they call it bi-sexual but at the end of the day they make a choice does that mean that they are no longer bi but now straight or gay?????

I am really not feeling the bi-sexual label, nothing is black or white and thereforeeee not gay or straight all the time. I like that think that bi means ur not sure and ur trying to find out.

I want to say that bisexuality is real but in my opinion, it is called bi-curious, confused, wanting to have ur cake and eat it too....!!! duno.

Some ppl have attraction to both sexes and they call it bi-sexual but at the end of the day they make a choice does that mean that they are no longer bi but now straight or gay?????

I am really not feeling the bi-sexual label, nothing is black or white and thereforeeee not gay or straight all the time. I like that think that bi means ur not sure and ur trying to find out.

Well its the difference between orientation and choice.

There is no such thing as a bisexual relationship. It is a gay relationship or a straight relationship ... so a bisexually oriented person has to be open to be being considered gay or straight.

Cas in point: my ex-bf ... my relationship with him was "gay", but I am also still atttracted to women. Hence my orientation is "bi", but that relationship was "gay".

I love how everyone goes to town with labels .. we all lubs labels!

LABELS FTL!

](*,)

• 3 weeks later...

Just browsing through posts and saw this test so took it - it said i was bisexual with homosexual tendencies, yet I identify as 100% lesbian. I don't think the test allows for people who lived a straight life in the past for whatever reason, whether they kept it secret that they were gay or even denied to themselves. Most of my "present" and "ideal" answers were the 7 end of the scale, but the past ones weren't, that doesn't make me bisexual, it just means I wasn't being true to myself at the time! also, I don't see that enjoying the company of my straight friends or friends of the opposite sex (I have gay male friends) makes me any less gay as this test suggests. Still, doing it took my mind off my problems for a few minutes lol.

I took the test and it said I am "completely bisexual". That, I agree with. I just think the questions were silly. I really do not think that political views or who you 'love' should factor into whether you are gay, straight or bisexual. In my opinion, your sexuality is essentially your gravitation toward a certain sexuality. Not attraction to folks with certain political views, etc. I also think that tests in which you assign a score (number) as a response are less accurate than providing, say, three choices (never, sometimes, most of the time). How can anyone POSSIBLY feel that his/her answer should be a 7 instead of a 6 or eight? Sometimes the vaguest answers are the most complete answers, if that makes any sense.

Just browsing through posts and saw this test so took it - it said i was bisexual with homosexual tendencies, yet I identify as 100% lesbian. I don't think the test allows for people who lived a straight life in the past for whatever reason, whether they kept it secret that they were gay or even denied to themselves.

I had a similar problem with this test for the scale as I also earned something such as Bisexual with Homosexual Tendencies. I think on these questions you have to answer all the the extreme side of homosexuality to be completely homsexual, if you "slack" then you're instantly Bisexual. There are certain questions that to answer truthfully gets me a Bisexual label to stamp on my forehead, and that is as English Silver mentioned because of my past. If these are just homosexual tendencies, then we've got a new definition for tendencies and tendencies is now associated with daily thoughts, ambitions, and decisions.

Then again this all leads back to that foggy word called, Bisexuality. Where for each person there is a definition and somewhere pancaked in the middle we have a general understanding that it is the liking of both men and women but to what degree differs from person to person. I believe that is one reason the test works for some of us and others not.

"You are completely bisexual."

Yikes! That was my result and I can imagine it being read to me in this booming, God-like voice coming down from on-high. But it doesn't make sense because I know I'm not bisexual -- I'm gay.

Maybe I answered the questions wrong -- sometimes the scale didn't seem to fit the question. Ie. for the question "with whom have you actually had sex" -- well, the answer right now would be no one of either orientation, so how does that factor into my results? I can't imagine that this test must have been so simple for everyone else -- it seems like others got mixed results as well.

Anyway, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I didn't get this far just to start questioning myself again because of some silly scale.

I disagree. So you decide to eventually marry and settle with one person, that doesn't change your orientation.

For the record, I got a perfect 4.

Amen to that! I love the fact that I am married to a woman, and that I can still be her husband AND bisexual. She says sometimes that she wonders if I'd be happier without her in my life so that "you can be free to be who you are". The other night she said this. And, I said to her "I am bisexual and I can go either way, but I lean more toward being attracted to women than men, and that is just fine with me...". No matter the sexual orientation, I do not believe (short of a brain injury) that sexual orientation ever changes for a person. In other words, your outward tendancies might change (i.e., you're a bisexual guy, but right now you're attracted to women so you're likely to appear a bit more masculine), but your inward tendancies never do.

• 10 months later...
I was just wondering what other people think about this Kinsey scale thing. I think it is true that everyone is positioned on this imaginary line between gay and straight with bi in the middle.

But a few days ago I was talking to one of my gay friends about this and he said that he doesn't believe in bisexuality. In his opinion people are either gay or straight. I'm curious to know how other people feel about this?

btw, you can take the Kinsey Scale test here: link removed

I had 2.2.... "You are mostly heterosexual".

Thank you for posting this test. I am “You are bisexual with heterosexual tendencies” according to the Kinsey test. Which I must say is on the money!

I personally think a lot of the questions have nothing to do with sexuality. The fact that I socialize more with men, I think, is actually somewhat indicative of my homosexuality (as a female). However, on this scale, it makes me more straight.

I came up as bisexual with hetersexual tendencies, which I definitely don't agree with- though I would have liked to agree with that in the past, since I was in denial about my homosexuality.

I think this is a great test, but should be taken with a grain of salt and that some of the questions should be eliminated to increase it's accuracy.

Thats my two cents

I'm sorry, but that's a load of crap. That's like saying if you're bisexual and you end up in an opposite-sex relationship, that you're suddenly straight, or if you end up in a same-sex relationship that you're totally gay. It doesn't work like that.

If you're attracted to both sexes, you're attracted to both sexes. You can be confused about what that means, but that DOESN'T mean that you aren't really bisexual.

I AM sure that I am attracted to men AND women. I'm not confused and I'm not trying to figure anything out.

Archived