LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Thread: Secret Shame

Secret Shame

image removed

Comprehensive source of self-injury information on the web. Includes definitions, explanations of why, etiology and demographics, diagnoses associated with SI, professional treatments, self-help, quotes from stories of people who SI, an anonymous survey, links to a mailing list, and an extensive list of references and resources.

i am a 25 years old and have recently been told i have contamination form of ocd i also have social phobias after years of mentally physical and sexual abuse i have always hurt myself in other ways since i was a teenager but now i cut my arms i want to stop but i cant i find showing emotions too hard and cant cry i just get such relieve when my arms bleed im ashamed of it and cant allow anyone to see it i dont know what to do ive just started therphy who knows about it but i cant show him can anyone understand this
    Last edited by saddo; 05-10-2007 at 11:45 AM.

Self-injury. Yes
    Theres a lot of people on here who, for one reason or another, have the understanding of what you are going through, and can often personally relate.

Sexual abuse often leads to self-injury problems. The cycle of abuse becomes a vicious circle, which in the end the victim perpetuates, as a form of self-protection. (I.e. hurting yourself is a fool-proof way to ensure that no-one else can ever hurt you again.)
    Also, if you don't want to ever show physical emotion, as another form of self-protection, those feelings of pain insides of you have to come out in some way, and that leads to self-injury. One of the most common forms of self-injury is cutting yourself. The relief it provides seems to help temporarily in repressing those emotions and helping you to feel in control and safer. However self-injury becomes a problem in the long run. It scars, is highly addictive, and needs to be fought against.

If you're seeing a therapist, you really need to try to talk to him about this. He'll have seen it all before, and will not react strongly, most probably he will not bat an eyelid.

If you talk about it in therapy he can help you to identify the underlying emotions and new ways to deal with them. With that pain out in the open, and learning to handle it in new ways, the desire to cut eventually goes away. Tell him. You don't have to do this on your own.

Give Advice
Ask For Advice