Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Book For Men, Why So Masculine!

Silver Member

Need Book For Men, Why So Masculine!

okay so i have a theme based college class and they go over GENDER,RACE,CLASS

the final project has to be a research paper that has to do with at least one of the themes from the class. now i really want to do a paper on why men are so violent/ aggressive in society. i would like my paper to have

1. how boys are raised.
    2. how boys are seen through the eyes of there peers.
    3. pressures of society in general to conform.

my paper needs to be 8-10 pages long and i only need three resources. now she has articles dealing with these issues, but i need some outside sources and frinkly i wouild enjoy the read.

can anyone reccomend a good book please.

I'm not sure if what kind of paper this is- but most college professors actually recommend that you uses periodicals (as in professional journal articles) and not just books. Books usually just summarize what professional articles say- they are secondary sources. You want to try to use the primary source (the articles itself) whenever you can. It sounds like your professor is already providing you with some articles.

At your college library you could probably find a bunch of professional journals and books that have a focus on gender studies. The Journal with the most info on topics like yours is called "Sex Roles: A Journal of Research". Perhaps your college library subscribes to it or can get the full text articles online. A good jorunal for anything to do with kids (boys) and behavior is "Developmental Psychology"

I did a lot of research in this area myself when I was in grad school. For what you're looking for- you'd want to do a search using the key terms:

"aggression in males"

"gender roles"

"gender identity"

"socialization"

"peer interaction/perception: boys"

The library is really the best place to look. Also, you will realize that there are many different theories about:

why men are so violent/ aggressive in society.
    The biggest theories about this are nature vs. nurture. Theories of nature (heredity) will state that aggression in males is caused by innate biologial/evolutionary factors such as testosterone, the Y chromosome, etc. Theories of nurture (environment) will state that it is the the social climate and culture boys grow up in that creates this behavior- and that it is learned.

You might want ot present both sides of this debate as it relates to male aggression- and provide research that supports each.

Here are some articles that might help- but don't cite these online articles for your paper- they are just summaries, you need go to the PRIMARY source- just use these articles to help direct you to the primary source by looking for the researchers/author's name which is mentioned in the summary.

(This is actually a full article from a primary source)

I hope this helps,

BellaDonna

I am bored, and so skimmed the sites.
    This one: - is particularly interesting, BD.

The aggression in men is caused by the male hormone testosteron, you won't see woman fighting half as much as men do.

Darketernal, that is one theory-

However aggression among females is on the rise, which is food for thought- It demonstrates how culture, socialization, and perception may also influence aggression.

It is now more socially "acceptable" for females to exhibit aggression. In today's society girls are not always expected to be quiet, docile, and passive anymore- which might be one reason they are beating each other up in school more.

While testosterone may be one factor, research on the topic suggests is probably more than just biological factors contributing to aggression (in either sex).

BellaDonna
    Last edited by BellaDonna; 01-26-2006 at 01:50 PM.

Nope not a theory its a fact, do you honestly believe that its merely coincidence that all wars are started by 'men'? Its all because of their territorial hormones that they want to beat the crap out of eachother.

Nope not a theory its a fact, do you honestly believe that its merely coincidence that all wars are started by 'men'? Its all because of their territorial hormones that they want to beat the crap out of eachother.
    No I do not think it is a coindcidence. I never stated that at all, you did. It doesn't surprise me that men have started wars- since they have historically been in the positions of power to do so. Society (not their testosterone) has put them in those in that positions of power. Of course it's not a coincidence.

All I'm saying is think outside of the box. Expand your mind a bit. If the world was so simple and people had quick, narrow answers for everything-proclaiming them as "facts" and refusing to even consider other variables, science and humanity itself would never progress.

Also the definition of a theory is "A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of facts or phenomena"

What you have demonstrated about men starting wars and being aggressive is a theory of why they do so. There is indeed some research to back it up- however there is also whole other set of research that also backs-up other theories that society, culture, and learned behavior also have an impact on both male and female behavior- including aggression.

I think that heredity and the environment interact to create a person's behavior. I hold that theory based on the vast research I have examined on this topic.

Here's a classic study that shows the effect of the media (which is a part of society/the envirnment) on aggression:

To reduce men to empty biological organisms, overtaken by testosterone, with no free will is ultimately degrading to men. It causes unfair stereotyping of all men.

If everyone believed it was a "fact" that men would be more aggressive based on thier testosterone alone- the wolrd could then get away with doing all kinds of unjust things to men and discriminate against them for this reason.

I have more faith in men than that- and I'm glad most of the world sees beyond their testosterone. If I were a man, I certianly would not want anyone reducing me to my hormones.

BellaDonna

No I do not think it is a coindcidence. I never stated that at all, you did. It doesn't surprise me that men have started wars- since they have historically been in the positions of power to do so. Society (not their testosterone) has put them in those in that positions of power. Of course it's not a coincidence.
    Wrong again, testosteron is an aggressive hormone which poisons(it is litterary poison)the brain, its a territorial hormone, like you can see sea-lions,or roosters fight in a picking kind of order, it was this same hormone that thrusted men into aggressivly taking these 'positions' in society, its more advanced but its the same animal behaviour. You can even proof that i am right, its known that horses who get castrated become a lot more loving and tame as well as more peacefull in their behaviour. Its not an assumption as you assume.

Darketernal, I have to say - I do not agree.

Wrong again, testosteron is an aggressive hormone which poisons(it is litterary poison)the brain, its a territorial hormone, like you can see sea-lions,or roosters fight in a picking kind of order, it was this same hormone that thrusted men into aggressivly taking these 'positions' in society, its more advanced but its the same animal behaviour. You can even proof that i am right, its known that horses who get castrated become a lot more loving and tame as well as more peacefull in their behaviour. Its not an assumption as you assume.
    You are using tautology (circular reasoning) and anthropomorhpisms (personifying animals) to make your point.

Horses, roosters, and sea lions are notably different from humans. It is too far of a leap to make generalizations from one species to another. I was talking about aggression in human males- not sea lions, horses, or roosters.

Human males have different social and cultural experiences than other animals. They have a media to influence them- toys to play with as a child that influence them, and a higher brian capacity to learn and exhibit self control. They have free will.

Anyways, I'm done with this topic. There are other posts in which people genuinely need help.

My choice not to post to this topic anymore does not imply that I agree with your point, nor that I give up, it is simply because I think it is a waste of time to debate it any further. Especially if you've resorted to tautology, which causes your theory to lose all philosophical significance.

BellaDonna
    Last edited by BellaDonna; 01-30-2006 at 12:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice