Rooted to the spot

Has anyone ever felt like there life's lost direction and it is almost impossible to get back on track? I feel like that RIGHT NOW!!! My ambition was always to be a doctor, but bad choices--like going to a depressingly tough school, majoring in something i hate and having horrible MCAT scores the first two times are totally hindering this dream..

the problem is...i can't seem to let go of it....instead of trying something else, this goal still persists....i dont know if its familial pressure,me being stubborn or just really really wanting to be a doctor, but i can't shake it off. And what's worse is that it seems like everyone around me is getting into med except me...everyone has a direction, a passion in life.....and i just feel like i'm stuck to the spot while time is passing me by.

I dont know what to do anymore.....i'm just afraid i'm aiming for something that cannot be or that i'm not trying hard enough or that i'm putting too much pressure on myself........essentially i'm afraid to fail again...i care too much about what other people think...and i hate feeling like that.....how do i get back on track?

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

If you haven't tried talking to your friends already what motivates them to be ambitious, then you will have to really dig deep in yourself if you can handle the responsibilty of being a physician. You really do have to do soul searching, the last thing you want to do is end up going to med school & hating it!

I know some people who are physicians, it's a respected profession, but it is very demanding & can have lots of liability depending on what is your specific field. So you have to see yourself, can you see yourself as being a leader who oversees the care of someones well-being in life/death situation knowing that all the shots are being called by you in the final say.

If you're doing b/c of family pressure, then consider trying some other fields that are still medical related as well. If you're doing it for money reasons, then sadly to tell you physicians don't make as much money as they used to b/c of insurances considering the number of years in school & residency or fellowship. Business people make money. But whatever you figure out, I wish you good luck!

one of the best ways to improve your chances of getting into med school is by getting a teaching job. even if it is teaching a dog obedience class, or a cpr class.

a great book to get with very specific things to do to improve your chances for getting into med school (it's out of print but I got it from barnes and link removed) is: the complete medical school preparation and admissions guide by Dr. Andrew Goliszek the isbn is: 0-916475-6-6

i say go for it.

i wanna do the same and i'm nowhere as near to the entrance as you are. and if you don't apply, then they definitely won't say yes. . .

best of luck

I agree with passions1, you need to do a little soul searching as to what you really want in life.

I'm currently in my final year of medicine and seriously beginning to question whether I really want to be a doctor. Personally, I've made many sacrifices to be whether I am and its taken a fair toll on my personal and social life. Doctors don't have the greatest lifestyle - they have incredible amounts of responsibility, are constantly stressed out by the patient workload, have to be on call etc. According to the interns and residents I'm studying alongside this year, the money is good but you work so many hours (50-60hours) that you don't have time to enjoy it. And then there's the competition within each field to get into various training programs....

I suggest you speak to people who are currently studying medicine or those already in the field to make sure that you have realistic expectations of what is involved. I can understand that seeing people around you having a set "direction" in life can be demoralising atm. But step back and take the time to think carefully about it. Don't do something simply because everyone else is doing it.

Good luck with everything!