Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: do online dating sites really work?

do online dating sites really work?

Assuming you are a guy, would these really work? I've been hearing stories where the male-to-female ratio for most of these sites are about 7 to 1. Even worse, most male posters seem to get little or no responses at all.

So for all the guys out there who have tried out these sites, were these really effective in the sense that you met a lot of other different people? Any great sites that you guys recommend?

I've met a few on link removed. And it's free. For free you might as try it.

Everyone has thier own opions about things. I think if your contemplating about it, you should go for it because you never know what could happen.

they do work!

Yes these websites do work!

I met the woman of my dreams on a dating website, we were together for 6 wonderful years, but I screwed it up. But if I had the chance again, I would do it all over again! One day I will probably use a dating website again, but for right now I am still healing from losing my ex. I had never used a website before that, but I would tell you to be careful of how you use these websites.

Just a few tips, when you write a profile, be entirely honest when writing your profile, read about what others are writing then try to be different, while still being honest. Actively seek out women on the site, don't contact too many at one time, just concentrate on the few that you might actually be interested in.

These websites can work, if you are willing to work on your profile you may just get lucky, like I did!

Platinum Member
    I've been signed up on a few for at least a few months now, and I've only gotten one real response back. In fact, it was just the other day, so the waiting game (at least temporarily) is on hold.

Here are the few I am on:

OkCupid
    link removed
    Yahoo!PERSONALS
    PerfectMatch
    PickYourFriendlyMatch
    LavaLife (never really use it though.. it's more of a sex encounters site)
    E-SpintheBottle

Since you are posting a profile with general stuff about you, don't expect tons of women to want to meet you from the get-go, because unlike in real life where they develop an interest in you solely on looks (they don't know anything about you) inititally, they get to find out more about you before even sending a message to you. You may enjoy doing outdoor stuff, but perhaps not many women on the site DO enjoy the outdoors (however, it's quite the opposite in most cases... but you get the point).

Just be happy when someone DOES message you. Check out her profile, see if you share any interests or whatever, and take it from there. Most dating sites, except OkCupid and E-Spin, require you to pay a monthly fee to send messages to someone, and sometimes to even see the rest of the user's photos.

Please note that all of the above dating sites are free to register and post your pic/profile information, but in most cases they require a fee to go any further in terms of communicating with another user on the site. What sucks is when someone sends you an email (who does pay) and you can't email that person back because you haven't paid yet in order to email the person.

Also, I've found that, at least in my state, it's not uncommon to see the same women on different dating sites, so it's not an entirely new group of people on every site.

Yes they do work. I joined link removed in 2003, dated someone I met from this site for 1.5 years. Joined link removed & Yahoo Personals 2 months ago. Very interesting, so far, I've only been on 2 dates, I get people who email me but many I feel are playing online & are looking for a penpal. Some have emailed me expressing interest, & when I send a reply, often I never geta reply back, leading me to believe many are contacting many people at once or suddenly realize they aren't interested? The response email is polite, sweet & casual, not very wordy or stress inducing to make someone want to flee. I think this is very interesting as compared to my online dating exp Spring 2003, where I received ooodles of emails, often meeting at least 2-3 people per week, & constant, continuing communication, until I met the person I dated for a year and a half.
    Now I find I get better emails from potential matches on Yahoo Personals. link removed this time around has been disappointing, so far, lots of profiles who've emailed me or viewed my profile or winked who are display red flags they aren't looking to do anymore than play on the pc.
    I highly recommend doing some research, possibly locating a site that may attract members that have more of a focus you're looking for, whether it be making friends, dating to date, dating w intention of finding a relationship, etc.
    I must add I used to be a member of link removed, gave it 4 months, but quit due to the site returning virtually no matches in my state, & matches that the site said matched my preferences shared in an intense, hour long questionnaire, I was not attracted to let alone interested in. It was funny, every match was someone who was EXTREEMELY religious, born again, saved...nothing against these matches, just not matches I was curious to communicate w & possibly meet.

I have to agree with Aquarose on this one because I was with Match for a while back in 03 and yeah I was busy. This time I went back and found that I have been getting emails and winks but, no responses. I dont understand it myself but, I keep sending winks and emails hoping to find someone to connect with. The dating pool in NJ I think is a dry old well filled with sand.

I did the eharmony thing also and I did have sucess with that service. The problem was the person who I was with was in NO WAY a good match for me. She had some major anger issues that I learned the hard way.

I have some more questions:

For the guys, do you actually get a lot of replies? ( the last time I heard, there's like a 7:1 ratio of male to female on these sites )

Also, how much replies do you typically get if you don't post a picture? For those who do post pictures, did you ever feel embarrassed doing so? ( in the sense that someone you know will find out and tell others )

Is it common to receive prank or commercial replies?

I'd also like to hear from anyone who had negative experiences with such sites. Online dating sites apparently do not receive good ratings ( based on link removed) and I'd like to hear someone substantiate or dispute these claims.

I know these are a lot of questions but I'm sure it'll help me and others who want to know as well. Thanks.

I met my bf on link removed personals 3 years ago, and we are very happy together. When I was trying the internet dating thing for the first time (when I met him) I got about 15 responses in a few short weeks, but some of the guys didn't seem to be looking for the same thing I was ( a serious relationship) and so thought I talked to a few and set up a few dates, some didn't seem like a good match for me.

I'd definitely do it again if I were ever in the situation where I was single (which I hope not to be! I love my bf very much!), but it's 2005, and everybody's online, so why not give it a try?

Don't forget to include a picture, I know myself I skipped right over ads that didn't have a picture. I don't think it's shallow that physical attraction is an important part of wanting to get to know someone you don't know in terms of a relationship.

This is some pretty good information that would be good to know in the event that you tried one of these online sites...link removed

good luck...

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice