• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes.

Gay people are people, too. I'm not gay, but I think it's safe to to say that they deserve more respect for their sexual orientation. They should be able to do the things that straight couples can do. Just because they are attracted to the same sex doesn't make them inferior.

I have a friend who's gay, and he's one of the coolest people I know.

If you ever watched that HBO show Six Feet Under, the main character was gay, and he and his partner (Keith) had 2 adopted kids. It seemed perfectly normal just from watching it. I didn't think "omg that's wrong!".

Absolutely. Marriage is an institution that protects vulnerable people, especially children. Gay people are already adopting children and having them in other ways too -- these children need the same protection as children resulting from hetero unions.

Not to mention that gay people are PEOPLE and their sexual orientation is just one little part of them...it doesn't define them or make them any less deserving of the rights and priviledges that everyone else enjoy.

Definitely. I live in a country where they can too.

Which makes me very thrilled, as my brother and his partner are a wonderful couple (more couples, straight and gay should have such happy, successful, balanced relationships) and want nothing more than to have children (through egg donation and surrogacy, they already have found a few friends who have offered to do so).

One's sexual orientation does not determine their ability to be wonderful parents, nor does gay marriage in some way "threaten" the institution of marriage - that is threatened more by infidelity and divorce and lack of commitment to the relationship in my opinion. To me marriage however is not a "religious institution" either. And marriage allows couples to express to the world their bond, and also gives them rights under the law that they deserve whether straight or gay in my opinion.

To me marriage however is not a "religious institution" either. And marriage allows couples to express to the world their bond, and also gives them rights under the law that they deserve whether straight or gay in my opinion.

I agree RayKay. I don't view marriage as a 'religious institution' solely, although a marriage's advent is frequently accompanied by religious ceremonies. Marriage is really a legal institution where society recognizes a couple's union and protects their offspring by making it harder to just get up and leave without some consequences. And of course it also gives other rights to the spouses, rights about medical decisions, inheritance, property ownership, etc. That's why it's so important for gay people to be able to get married too, especially if they intend to become parents.

Yes, to marriage - I fail to understand how the fact that two people who love each other and want to get married is going to adversely affect my marriage - or anyone else's.

I admit that there was a time that I was against gays adopting children. Not because they are gay or likely to molest the children - gay people are no more likely to be pedophiles than heterosexuals. But because I think that the best scenario for children is to grow up with a male and a female role model. For the obvious reasons and some less obvious.

But, then the reality of the situation struck home. Many children are left in orphanages or homes because they can't get adopted for whatever reason. And it is better that they be adopted by homosexuals who will love them and treat them well, than in an orphanage.

Then I saw the proof - at least in one instance. Two gay members of my theatre group adopted three brothers - who may have been adopted singly or two and one, but not together, and even any adoption was in doubt because they were not small children. It has been an amazingly good experience all round. The parents feel fulfilled and the difference in the life of the three boys is absolutely positive. The boys are doing much better in school. their social development has improved out of all recognition and they are now outgoing, friendly and great kids - as opposed to withdrawn, angry and potential 'troubled' teens.

Better a gay couple in a healthy, stable relationship who want a child than a hetero couple in a drama-filled relationship who unintentionally end up pregnant.

Of all the things people get their undies in a bunch over, I just don't get this one. It's not like heterosexual people have the market cornered on building healthy relationships and good parenting. In fact, some of them have done a really poor job of it. Repeatedly, at that.

yes to marriage....kids i'm not to sure

i have many friends that are gay and i had no problems what so ever with gay marriages. one of my gay friends had a daughter and i remember her daughter being very confused. i also had a friend that was married with a child and she divorced her husband to be in a gay relationship. during her divorce she almost lost custody of her child due to the fact she was gay.

No to both. I know many gay people who are pretty nice people. But, no. Just because I think someone is nice doesn't mean I'm going to agree with certain things.

My stance too.

I have further, in depth thoughts on the subject. But I'll refrain from posting them. I don't want to seem disrespectful or intolerant to other's beliefs.

yes to the first and no to the second

IMO it is o.k. for two consenting adults to choose to get married. for the children i think they need a mom and a dad. i'm not saying that gay people would not make good parents. i think that the child would have alot of repercussions because of the way society is. i'm again not necassarily saiyng those are my beliefs. i just know how society is because my brother is gay and he wanted to adopt a child.

I'm not starting a debate.

I'm entitled to my views, beliefs and opinions.

That's true darkblue, but how would you feel if you were dinied the right and privledge to get married and have children?

We're no different to anyone else who wants to do these things and have you seen the world lately? I'm not exactly saying we're taking over, but a lot more people are coming out nowadays, so at some point we'll have to be reconised.

This is the first and last I will say about this; so I will ignore further provoking.

That's true darkblue, but how would you feel if you were dinied the right and privledge to get married and have children?

If gay couples were meant to be given the 'privillege' of children - they would have a way to reproduce.

That's my view.

yes to the first and no to the second

IMO it is o.k. for two consenting adults to choose to get married. for the children i think they need a mom and a dad. i'm not saying that gay people would not make good parents. i think that the child would have alot of repercussions because of the way society is. i'm again not necassarily saiyng those are my beliefs. i just know how society is because my brother is gay and he wanted to adopt a child.

Curious then, what of those many many many households with single mothers or single fathers, without the other parent being around? What about the single people whom chose to adopt and conceive (they may be straight, but are still single)?

I was raised in a single parent household, and have not suffered for it. I know people raised by gay parents and they have done wonderfully - they learned early tolerance and not to be ashamed. As they should not be.