Call centres - how to get closer to quota?

arrowbee

Has anyone here ever worked in a call centre before?

I just started a new job doing market research. My first day on the job was Thursday, my second day is tomorrow. On my first day, I was supposed to finish a set number of surveys, but I finished less than half that number.

I feel like I messed up bigtime. I have not worked in a long time, and I am really grateful to have found this job, and I DEFINITELY CAN'T AFFORD to lose it!

How can I improve my speed without compromising the accuracy of the results?

Are the quotas they are setting for you reasonable? Are a majority of the other employees making the quotas they set or not?

Those are a couple of issues you need to look at. I have learned the hard way that some employers set unreasonable goals so they don't have to pay out bonuses or give raises. They don't care if there's a high turnover rate and they'd rather hire new people at a lower starting wage rather than pay more to a long-term employee. Not every place is a good place to work, and even places that are good places to work can go through bad phases.

Talk to your co-workers...ask how long they've been working there, ask if they find the set quota realistically attainable, ask for tips on how they meet their quota, ask your supervisor for suggestions. You've only been on the job for a short time, so you should be able to improve when you get a better feel for what you're doing.

Did they give you any training classes or just throw you on the phone with very little preparation?

My husband works in a call center. He had an 8-week training class before they'd let him near a phone. His classes were full time, 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week. He also has to work under quotas, however the quotas his employer has set are reasonably attainable and most employees are able to meet or exceed them most of the time. His employer also has no problem rewarding good performance.

You're assuming that you are the problem here. Try to take a step back and look at it objectively...are the quotas realistic or are they expecting too much? Are you still adjusting to the new job? Be honest with yourself. You might find you are not the problem or you might find that this type of work isn't your strong suit or you might find it's a combination of those two things.

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

Only 15-20% of the people in the office end up making quota on a given day.

I have made quota on three out of the last four working days. For whatever it's worth, I appear to be really, really good at this job. Too bad there's no potential for advancement.

Here's a piece of advice that you won't get anywhere else - for all the unemployed-and-desperate people out there: if you speak English, and you can type reasonably well, drop off a resume at a call centre. You might discover you're good at it.

Hi Arrowbee,

I work in a call center with a high monthly quota and it goes up every month. Out of 5 months I've worked in this capacity I've only made quota once. The other 4 months I didn't even come close. This is possibly my last month if I don't make quota. The irony in this is that on average I make more dials and have more talk time than the entire office yet I have no results. I thought I'd do better because of my background in sales but ….not. This job is killing my ego…..The best advice I can give is to tune out distractions and try to focus on what's going to pay your bills and ultimately make you happy. Smile when you're on the phone and sound confident.

• 14 years later...

I will start off by apologizing if this isn't the right location for this post. I tried to search for similar topics, but couldn't find anything for my specific questions and then I found this. I'm also working as a call center and it's hard for me to do my everyday quota. It's getting hard every single day. any tips?

I will start off by apologizing if this isn't the right location for this post. I tried to search for similar topics, but couldn't find anything for my specific questions and then I found this. I'm also working as a call center and it's hard for me to do my everyday quota. It's getting hard every single day. any tips?

This thread is 15 years old.

Archived