Who are promise rings for? Are they for people in relationships where they first show they're commited, or are they for relationships where it's obviouse they're commited, but it's just for show of the commitment?

I kind of want to ask my boyfriend that I think a promise ring would be cute... but wouldn't that be smothering and sounding too much like the marriage type of commitment? I already know he's commited, but I'd just like a promise ring where I can always look at it and I really believe it would help tide me over until it's a good time to get married.

Good idea to ask/bad idea...? Or is this not even for my relationship and just some little thing new couples do?

Hello

Promise rings are a good thing.........The irish have a special one called the Ca-lat-ta ring. It has two hands on it holding a heart. You were the heart pointed towards your heart meaning you are giving your heart to this person. Then later on when you decide to make it permanant yuo switch the ring around. I'm not sure if that is the right spelling but you can ask a your local jewler about them and I'm sure they can help. You can get a really nice one for between $75 dollars and $200 in gold. The hands and heart comes in different sizes ans shapes, so shop around till you find one that soots your fancy. And you don't have to be irish to own one, but they have a very special meaning. Try googling for one......after you type in your discription at google hit "Images" and you should be ab le to find one.

Good Luck

Kuhl

8)

You are thinking of a claddagh ring, and yes they are beautiful.

For love, we wear the heart. In friendship, we wear the hands. And, in loyalty and lasting fidelity: we wear the Royal Claddagh crown.

Worn on the right hand, with crown and heart facing out, the ring tells that the wearer's heart is yet to be won. While under love's spell it is worn with heart and crown facing inwards. Wearing the ring on the left hand, with the crown and heart facing inwards, signifies that your love has been requited.

An original symbol of the "Fisher Kings" of the Galway town of Claddagh, Ireland, was first fashioned into the traditional ring back in the 17th Century during the reign of Mary II. Legend has it that an Irish young man, Richard Joyce, bound for the West Indian slave plantations was kidnapped himself in rough seas by a band of Mediterranean pirates and sold to a Moorish goldsmith who over the many long years of his exile helped him perfect the skills of a master craftsman. When in 1689 King William III negotiated the return of the slaves, Joyce returned to Galway - despite, it said, the Moor's offer of the daughter's hand in marriage and a princely dowry of half of all his wealth.

Back in Ireland a young women had never stopped faithful waiting for her true love to return. Upon which time when he presented her with the now famous Royal Claddagh gold ring - a symbol of their enduring love. Two hands to represent their friendship, the crown to signify their loyalty and lasting fidelity, and the sign of the heart to symbolise their eternal love for each other. They soon married, never to be separated again.

Thanks for respsonses! I looked some up and I remember seeing those, but I never knew which way means what. I saw some really pretty ones in Google, too.

About 4-5 years ago, he gave me a ring to "show to all my boyfriends" (as he called the guys who liked me-- this is way back at the beginning/middle of our highschool years)

So I'm thinking I'll say to him "ohh, remember this ring? It was like a promise ring..." and it doesn't match the other jewelry I wear that he's given me, and it is also too big for my fingers now. I think I can inform him what the claddagh ring is, and just kind of leave it at that for a hint.

I'd really love to have one to show the world I'm taken, and I would feel really good that he'd have given me it.

Do the men wear one, too? Is this something I can give him in return? Like we could plan that this would be a gift for our anniversary, or X-Mas or something, and we could get eachother these rings..? I know I could look this part up, but I'm weondering also from what you see on other people as well as the facts on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw this post now.

I would be careful about how you approach this....it can sound pressuring for more...like more of an engagement.

I really think any gift or commitment is something that should be wholly felt my the person giving.

If you did "convince" him to give you one, would you then wonder if he really meant it? And then wonder if he was going to propose? Are you just doing this as a way for him to provide "security" you are not finding within yourself?

Just to me....trying to "solicit" one from him even if you give him one in return does not seem "heartfelt". I don't know.

I think when you are young and not ready to get married they can be fine as a sign of commitment, but a sign can also come from their actions. Not just jewellery. And, a promise ring should not be considered an engagement, though I have heard it called a "promise to get engaged" which seems odd to me..but whatever floats your boat!

I decided to not say anything about it because I think it would postpone any engagement... it would be like that sort of commitment, so it would probably make him feel even less like he would want to get engaged because with a promise ring on my finger he may see it as being the same thing and I know he'd put alot of money into it. He'd probably rather it be put into something bigger than just a promise ring.

• 3 weeks later...

First i think promise rings are a great idea. Sometimes people think they are to young to get enganged or plan on it but not for a while. Such as the case with me and my boyfriend. He got me one a few months ago. And i have gotten one for him for our 1 yr this month. I was wondering if anyone knew any good ways i could give it to him