Remember the Animals

BellaDonna

I just wanted to take a quick second to remind anyone who is donating on behalf of the hurricane and flooding that the animals need help too.

Here's just one small example:

link removed

It absolutely breaks my heart.

Here's where I donated: link removed

It's an agency that does animal evacuation and recovery in disasters.

BellaDonna

I cried when they had to shoot a seal that had gotten taken away from Marina by the storm surge...it ended up in a parking lot and people were trying to keep him wet and okay, but the police shot him as there was no way to move him (just too huge) and to put him out of suffering

The head of Noah's Wish was interviewing the other day talking about some horrible stories - they got a call in about people whom had left their two dogs in crates on top of the washing machine in the house! I imagine they were rescued, but many were not rescued in time I am sure.

Other people stayed in homes with pets as shelters would not take them and they could not get away from city (hotels on other hand often will lift restrictions in emergencies like this). Many were walking around after disaster with their dogs and cats, those that were saved at least.

As I was saying to someone the other day, there is no way I would leave my pet behind, even if it meant having to walk and drive for hundreds and hundreds of miles to sleep in my car....they mean so much to me.

Thanks for letting other people be aware Bella.

there is no way I would leave my pet behind, even if it meant having to walk and drive for hundreds and hundreds of miles to sleep in my car....they mean so much to me.

I have one cat and she is like a child to me. I would never leave her behind either. I would never be able to forget her- it would literally kill me.

I can't even begin to imagine the horror that people are going through. I know they have to find shelter and food for their families and animals might be a barrier if you take them along. But for me, a pet is a part of the family- so there is no question.... there would be no way I would leave my pet behind to die.

That dog's little face rips my heart into a million pieces. I know there is a lot of suffering going on right now, but the animals always get to the core of me for some reason.

BellaDonna

In extreme cases the brutal fact is that people may have to choose between saving their own lives, or the lives of their families, and abandoning a pet. For most people the choice is clear and obvious. But that doesn't mean it is not heartbreaking.

I could never leave my cat behind. I remember about 3 years ago a Tornado came right next to my hometown (no one hurt or killed thank god) and instead of seeking shelter, I ran around in the pitch dark trying to find my very scared, black cat. You ever try to find a hiding black cat in the dark? lol The thought of leaving my cat to face whatever never even crossed my mind until after all the excitment.

Call me stupid, a lot of people did, but I couldn't have lived with myself knowing that I abandoned my baby when she needed me most. That's just me though, I'm single and she's all the family I have.

I could never leave my cat behind. I remember about 3 years ago a Tornado came right next to my hometown (no one hurt or killed thank god) and instead of seeking shelter, I ran around in the pitch dark trying to find my very scared, black cat. You ever try to find a hiding black cat in the dark? lol The thought of leaving my cat to face whatever never even crossed my mind until after all the excitment.

Call me stupid, a lot of people did, but I couldn't have lived with myself knowing that I abandoned my baby when she needed me most. That's just me though, I'm single and she's all the family I have.

I have done the same...when my cat was a kitten, it was storming out and it was just me and her at my parents house (I was younger and living at home still). I spend three hours looking for, finally found her WAY in corner under my bed all nervous. I used to sleep with her at nights as she would cry as a kitten, she hated being alone! After that, I cleaned under my bed to prevent her hiding so well!

I'm not single, and my pets are family too, I could not leave them behind either. I don't think it was stupid at all, I would of felt the same way..it's just the way you are wired

I feel terrible for those animals that have been left. I'm not passing any kind of judgement on the owners who leave them (of course they don't WANT to). I just know I personally could never leave my pet.

I am glad that there are organizations like Noah's Wish that tries to help those animals that were left behind.

I understand where people are coming from - I have loved pets as well. But if it were a hard choice, particularly between members of my family and, say, a large dog, then the dog would have to be left. For instance, if the presense of a dog on a raft in floodwaters meant the raft would tip and children's lives would be lost then, much as I loved the dog, there would be no question of trying to save the dog at the expense of the children.

It's one of those choices you hope you never have to make.