How do I get passed this feeling??

Ok I just broke up with my bf. We went from being best friends to trying for something more. He was pulling away from me after we had an argument the other day and I said to him that we needed to have a chat and he agreed saying things aren't ok at the moment.

We talked this morning and I said I needed to say goodbye for good. He said he didn't want me to go but he can't be in a relationship right now either. I won't lie and say that I'm not crushed. I said to him that I love him so much that to get over him I have to let him go. It's killing me. Saying Bye to him is the hardest thing I have ever done. I feel so alone. Not only have I lost the guy I truly loved but I also lost my best friend. The one person I could turn to when everything else was stuffed up (which is most of the time). He said that he doesn't wanna let me go, but he knows it's only going to hurt me more. We can't go back to being friends despite how much I want to. Cause when he meets another girl he's going to want to talk about her to me and I can't cope with that and vice versa. I never knew this would hurt so much.

How do I stop this feeling? does it ever go away? Sorry I just needed to vent!

Why can't you guys be together?

If your hurting because of it, and you broke up with him? Then why not fix the problems and be together?

I don't quite understand your situation totally..

If you love him, and can't be without him, and you guys are best friends, then whats the problem?

What was the argument about and why was/is it so important as to break up the relationship?

The argument was because I pulled away the other day. I was feeling depressed and I really pulled away. He got angry and we ended up in an argument. We made up.

Why can't you guys be together?

basically it's because he's not ready for such a serious relationship. He said it's so easy to F*** up and he's scared of losing me. Which he kinda has now anyway.

If your hurting because of it, and you broke up with him? Then why not fix the problems and be together?

I don't know how to fix it. He says that he has never felt this way about anyone before. But can't be in a relationship right now. So I can't really fix it.

I don't quite understand your situation totally..

If you love him, and can't be without him, and you guys are best friends, then whats the problem?

The problem is we are so close and so scared that we will hurt each other.

We honestly thought that taking it from best friends to more would be easier that it has been. It's made us lose what we had. I don't know what to do. We've said we'll give each other some space and see what happens