How long

I thought I would start a thread on how long people have been with out hurting them selves. To your self it may seem like a small number, and it maybe but how ever long it has been it always has to be bigger than "I'm doing it right now" So if you would, let us know how long you haven't done it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I'm not all with it right now. I forgot to post how long I have been without. So, instead of editting I'll just make mine the first one on here.

I have been 175 days with out cutting. That is roughly just under 6 months.

It has been really hard. But I guess it is possible to go this far at least.

wow, cutting yoursleve. I have a student in my class, she is going into the eight grade. She cuts herself. Her mother puts alot her pressure on her. She is very unhappy at home. The student psyclologist requested that her gets invlved in school activities. I know this has nothing to od with your question.

I think people hurt themsevles all the time. They can't even go a day without doing that. Wether mentally or physically. Evryday is a day when u have to decide whether u what to love or die. in making that decision u hurt yourselve

You are right, it has nothing to do with anything, but that's cool. lol. 8) . From experience, sometimes getting involved in school activities does help. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the pressure from it can drive you mad and fluster you even more. In my case I guess it has done me some good. I will be a senior in high school and I am involved in a lot. I am in the marching band, speech captain, and the fall musical(acting hopefully, and building set). That doesn't sound like a lot when I write it down but between that and homework and a part time job I will hardly ever be home. It keeps me so busy that I just work past my emotions I guess. See, this has nothing to do with it either. lol.

why do u cut yoursleve. What at that particular moment causes u think of no other alternative. when i was in high school which wasn't that all, i thought that i thought the world belonged to me. i would do anything, be anyone. When i look at this girl that cut yoyrsleve, i want to tell her that middle school would soon end and soon these problems won't matter. I have this six moth rule. If things don't get better on six months then i have to do something drastic. i know i am no help

Wow, ok. First, this was supposed to be a supportive thread to compliment each other on how long we have been without hurting ourselves. But I guess it has evolved from that. Secondly, it's different for every person. I have to learn that there are things in life that have happened how they happened and I can't change that. I get flustered with myself and others and the only thing that calms me down is finding a sharp object and puncturing my forearm so it bleeds. To me it feels like all of the pressure and frustration I have bottled up, I just let the cap off of it. Sometimes I get upset enough I can't think. My thoughts are so cluttered and hazy and after I hurt myself things become clearer. Yea, I know it's not health, that's why I'm trying to quit. I know it's not health to keep things bottled up either, I'm working on that. That is what it's like for me. Each and every person is different. I cannot speak for everyone.

Do u think that u will grow out of this? I u tried alternative. I can't gave u can example because i am not sure about laternative for dealing with life's problems. i myself just like to aviod peopel that give me stress. and for people i cna't aviod or ven siutaion, i ask God for help. I know that may sound silly to u, but evryday last year i stood infornt of my class praying before, during and after for god to give me strenght so that i don't say or do something i will regret. Amybe u need to nuture u're spritual side. I know no hel what so ever.

well i'll be the second person to say how long it's been for me even though it seems this isn't the path this thread is going. I haven't cut for 6 days which isn't much but yeah. the longest i ever went without cutting was 2 months.

kasers asked what does cutting solve? it solves nothing. so why do people still do it? for each person it can be a different reason like pippin said. some people do it exchanging pain for pain, they cause physical pain which temporarily takes the emotional pain away. some people do it as punishment, whether they are guilty about something or hate themselves for some reason they feel they need to punish themselves. some people just like to see the blood, some people want others to see the cuts for attention, some people did it for some reason and are addicted etc.... each person has their own reason

also, here are some techniques that may or may not help someone who is feeling the need to cut. i haven't tried them but my friend who used to cut said it really helped them think twice. anyway he recommends getting a bucket of ice, sticking your hands in it and grabbing the ice as hard as you can for a long time. he also said he would go in the shower and put the water as cold as it could get. good luck

This isn't like a phase, ok. It isn't something we all go through like not wanting to eat vegetables or something. So no, I won't grow out of it. I will try and over come this. This is like smoking or drinking or drugs. It's an addiction you must overcome and learn to live without doing it.

I can't avoid a lot of people that give me stress. They are in my everyday life. I have to deal with them on a daily basis. And I can't bring myself to ask God for anything. There are two reasons for this. One being that according to the catholic church, which I was born and raised in, I am a sinner and God doesn't love me because of the people I choose to love. Second, I have lost a lot of faith in God since Blake died. Blake was a 14 year old band member who was like a little brother to me. I cryed and prayed that God would let him live. And he died. I know you might say "God had greater plans for him" that is fine. I just can't bring myself to ask God for anything anymore. If he didn't let Blake live, which was a rather large prayer, how could he give me something insignificant like letting me not get flustered with people or something to that affect.

I would also like to say, you are a teacher. Learn to spell and write correctly please. If a 17 year old teenager can type in correct english you would think a teacher would be able to.

this is a great topic, thanks for starting it

for those of you who do cut or know someone who is cutting -

if it's someone you know, try your best to be there as much as you can. they need someone to love and support and not judge. and again, don't be afraid to tell someone that can help. you could be saving a life. make sure they dont cut anywhere like wrists and scary places like that. let them know there are better ways of dealing with problems like talking, etc. key point - TELL SOMEONE THAT CAN HELP

but please don't cut yourself that can be so dangerous. there are healthier ways of dealing with it i promise.

i'm here and we all are here for you. you're not alone, remember that. try your

best to stay strong and get through this, because i know you can. i've been

there. make sure you stay away from everything that can cut you. get rid

of it, throw it away. tell some people about this so that they can help you

too. stay away from anything that could trigger you. watch good movies,

write, read, listen to music, TALK TO SOMEONE, exercise, go for a walk, etc.

never be afraid to ask for help, because there are people out there that

can help. it's wonderful you want to talk to us, but there are other people

out there too i promise. you're going to be ok. if you do end up cutting,

remember, stay away from wrists and scary places like that.

contact me or anyone here if you want!,

you're not alone! PLEASE check out these sites, they really help

link removed

Thank you to Alien and thisisnotanexit for the comments. And helpful stuff added. imagi, that is a really really long time. Congratulations. And it's ok that you didn't intellegently comment about what thisisnotanexit said. I totally understand. lol.

It's not that you offended me, I was just standing my ground and telling the truth. I know your spelling wasn't the point. Thank you understanding that cutting is an addiction. Many people don't understand this. I am also sorry if I offended you in any way also.

I don't think God hates u. I know what the Catholic Church teaches. Everything the Church does and say is not correct. God, I truly believe loves everyone.

I have done things that the church would looked down upon, but i don't believe that God would hate me.

I believe that being a good person counts more than anything.

I try to believe that God sees everyone the same and things like that, but I've just given up on it because of all of the negativity. I figure with all of the politics and politcians preaching about all of the stuff and how it is wrong and God looks down on gays. So I just gave up on it because it's not worth it.

Thanks for the link thisisnotanexit.

I stopped hurting myself at the end of last year. (I'm 41!) I got help from my G.P. who referred me to a psychiatrist. I thought nobody in my family loved me, including my husband. I was wrong but my brain made me feel that way! I had emotional issues from the past that I had not dealt with. On top of that I'm trying to work out what my sexuality is. I don't know anymore? I thought I was gay when growing up. Then I went out with boys. Have been married twice. I have been with my husband for 13 years, however in 1999 I fell in love with a woman! Nothing came of that not even a kiss. I started falling in love last year with another woman and managed to stop myself. This year I fell in love with my lecturer at college! So as you can see it's not a problem that's going to go away and leave me in peace!

Hope that helps you to understand.