HAVEN'T CUT IN 2 WEEKS!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do have help, somewhat... my gf is helping me a lot and I have a lot of friends around me who are suporting me. I laos have a friend who was a cutter and she's helping me get professional help. I know I can't do this on my own, but I thought it was a real feat for me to not cut for two weeks, mainly as the longest I've ever gone without is about a day.

I just want everyone to know that no matter how much you cut, no matter how much you think you need it, no matter how much you think you can't stop, you can stop and you will stop if you believe that you can.

Good luck to anyone who wishes to stop self harming

Sappho Is A Goddess...

actually, the two weeks kinda went out the window last thursday night... i slit both of my wrists and i almost died. it was kinda bad. my wrists are killing me even now but i haven't gone to the hospital. i do and i'll be in trouble. anyways, i haven't cut since then but i feel so bad. i feel really bad about it cos i've let my girlfriend down and i've let my friends down. in some ways i wish i had have died but then i think about being with my girlfriend and i come straight back from it. I really do need help in all of this, and i haven't actually been able to talk to any of my old counsellors or anything which has really annoyed me. i know i need to talk to someone about this but i'd prefer it to be someone i've seen before so that they know a bit of a backstory. i think that helps.

i feel like a complete failure...

Sappho...

I'm sorry to hear that happened. Don't ever feel like a complete failure. It's rare that people stop 'cold turkey'. I haven't met anyone that's been able to do it. They've all relapsed (including myself) several times before they were able to give it up for good. If you want a counsellor with your history, pick the one that you felt the most comfortable with and that you feel that could be the most help to you, and give them a call. Just tell them that you're having a really hard time, and need an appointment asap. They may be better now.

I've actually told several people to go by the double up rule. If you made it a day.. go for two the next time.. and then for four etc. I don't know if that helps you any, and I know several people find it preposterous to suggest that to someone.. but it's worked with a lot of my friends and even myself.

I've actually told several people to go by the double up rule. If you made it a day.. go for two the next time.. and then for four etc. I don't know if that helps you any, and I know several people find it preposterous to suggest that to someone.. but it's worked with a lot of my friends and even myself.

Worked for me!

i now have gone 4 days without it. i dont know if i can stop totally but isn't stopping for a while and then doing it once and stopping again alright? i dont know. i dont know what i'm on about. i'm trying to get into contact with an old counsellor but she hasn't replied to my messages. maybe i should just give up. i dont know. any ideas?

Sappho is for once unsure of something...

A lot of people insist that "once you stop you need to stop forever and if you slip up that's bad on you". I however, don't believe that for a second. If you're making the effort to stop, good for you. If you slip, learn from it. Use your mistakes to teach you how to do better the next time you try. If it helps, set your own goals like "I'm going to go another two weeks at least". I don't know if this helps. I hope it does. There is no formula for stopping, just.. be proud of what you can do, and learn from when you can't.

If you're having problems contacting one counsellor, is there another that you could possibly speak to?

Good luck again. I hope your successful =)

ok, i think it's about 5 days now... it's very hard to put it nicely... i could say much worse to explain how hard it is... i hate this... i hate having to start all over again... maybe i just shouldn't stop... might be just that little bit too hard for me... i'm usually up for a challenge but this is really challenging... too challenging...

Sappho Can't Do This Anymore...

I know what your going through. I remember exactly what it was like trying to stop and how difficult it was all 7000 times I actually made an attempt at quitting before I could do it for real. Be strong for yourself. You know you can do it. You did it for two weeks. Even if it seems impossible, it can be done. Cutting is a coping tool, and stopping when your addicted is just as hard as quitting any other addiction. You need to learn how to do everything that involved any sort of stress, and that sort of personal growth takes large quantities of time, stress, love, and ice cream. .. sorry..

I'm here for you if you need someone to rant to. Keep up the good work and stay strong

its so hard. i was watching my mum cook tea tonight and i was spellbound by the knife while she was chopping vegetables. i didn't know how hard it was to stop until now. i have wanted to stop for so long but the look of the knife going through the vegetables reminded me of my blades going through my flesh... even watching her wash the knife and it becoming clean and shining made me feel like i wanted it. i just wanted to grab the knife and hack away at myself. i only wanted to push the blade of the knife far into my arm and hurt myself so much. it's all i wanted...

i'm so scared...

Sappho Doesn't Know How To Stop...

When I get like that I get scared too =(

I don't even know what to say because I know how attracting/appealing/mesmermizing it is to be involved in cutting and how completely absorbing it is. You've got the strength in you to stop, but it might take awhile for you to stop forever and for always.

I wonder if you've told your friends or family about the slip up. I knwo you said before that you hadn't, but some time had passed since then.

i have told my gf about it and one of my friends who's a past cutter and it's been pretty good. they've both said that it's ok for me to fall back, cos it's a part of recovery. i still feel like i've failed but not so much now. i guess having people around you who understand is a big part of recovery. that way they understand if something goes wrong cos they've been through it. i'm glad that i have the support of my gf and my friend... it makes stopping just that much easier.

Sappho...

• 2 weeks later...

ok, it's been quite some time since i cut. i think it's been 23 days. it's good. i'm not thinking about it as much. i still think about cutting my arms a lot when something bad happens, but now it's not so bad. I'm happy that i haven't cut and i think i'm now going for the full month, then i can call one of my friends who told me to stop for a month and tell her i did it. i'm sure she'll be happy with it... since i couldn't do it before but i feel like i definatley can now. i hope i can.

Sappho...

i know that you can!

come on keep it you've shown that you have got what it takes to do this. dont stop now, just imagine hwo it will feel to never want to cut yourself. I have never even met you and i feel very proud of you, and pleased that you are proud of yourself, well done, well done, well done

keep up the day count

thankyou so much Blackmsmithdave... it's good to know that i do have support out there, since i don't really have much here. it's now 24 days, which is really good. i'm so happy. i'm happy that i know that i don't need it. i was told by one of my friends that any addiction can be kicked within 21 days. well it's been 24. i'm not sure if i'm now cured or what, but i know that i don't feel like i need it anymore.

Sappho...

it's been 26 days... i'm not feeling any need at all... it's not far until i get to 1 month... yay!!! i seriously can't wait. i just want to be able to say 'i haven't cut for a full month'. i can't wait.

by the way, thankyou so much to everyone who has posted on this thread with their support... you have been a great help

Sappho...