I can't sleep - help!

Hi all

Well I've been unable to sleep properly for about a week now and its really getting me down.

I started a new job today and all I wanted to do was fall asleep.

It's now 00:28am and I have to be up at 6:30. I can't sleep again and if I do finally fall asleep at 3am I'm going to feel ill again when I wake up due to lack of sleep.

This is really getting me down because sleep is very important to me. If I don't sleep properly I tend to spend 1/2 the next day feeling sick/groggy (aswell as continually wanting to fall asleep while I'm upright).

In the day I feel tired yet the moment I put my head on the pillow I'm wide awake. I'm starting to feel like I'm just not "allowed" to sleep and that either my body or forces unknown to me are simply trying to make things hard for me (please excuse the sound of paranoia.. - You get cranky when not sleeping properly).

Please can anyone here help?

Dr

DR

If it keeps up, you make have to take some over the counter stuff until you get back on track. Or if it is that bad you might have to see the real

Dr.

Get some rest, I know what you mean i need my rest have to have at least 6 hours or I'm toast the next day.

ZZZZZZZZZZ's maybe that will help (lol)

Good Luck

Kuhl

8)

I'm not a big fan of "chemical sleep aids" so what works 100% for me is taking some herbal supplments called Valerian-- this stuff has done wonders.

I take 2-3 capsules when I get ready to sleep, and end up sleeping through the night, with no "pill hang-over" (FYI: it has a weird smell, so don't think your bottle has gone bad)

You can get Valerian capsules in most drug stores like Walgreens, and they run about $7.00 a bottle.

"Valerian has been used as a medicinal herb since at least the time of ancient Greece and Rome. Its therapeutic uses were described by Hippocrates, and in the 2nd century, Galen prescribed valerian for insomnia. In the 16th century, it was used to treat nervousness, trembling, headaches, and heart palpitations."

I had insomnia about a year ago...I was going through a really stressful time at university. I would get so upset when I couldn't fall asleep, but that would just compound the problem.

Are you going through an emotionally rough time that might be contributing to you having trouble sleeping?

There are a few things that you could try that may help with your problem. I've read that if you have trouble sleeping, instead of laying in bed getting mad that you are still awake, leave your bed, even your bedroom and go do something relaxing until you feel tired...not watching tv or being on the computer. You don't want to do anything that will stimulate you more.

One great way that I quiet my mind is to work on crossword puzzles. Its a really neutral activity that helps me sleep. For awhile during my school I would do a puzzle every night...I was horrible at them at first but you actually get better at them. Now I just keep them handy in case I am having trouble sleeping.

I hope this helps. I know how aweful it is to not get enough sleep. It should pass but if it doesn't, maybe you should talk to a doctor.

Some simple things they taught me about sleep in nursing school:

The bedroom is for sleep and sex only. No reading, no tv, no computer.

If you lie down and can't sleep after 30 minutes, get up and leave the room. Anxiety about not being able to fall asleep with continue to keep you up night after night if you let it.

A cup or warm milk releases tryptophan, a natural amino acid which helps you fall asleep.

No exercise for at least the last 3 hours before bedtime.

A small snack about 45 minutes before bedtime can help you feel sleepy and prevent you from waking up during the night hungry.

Avoid caffeine and nictotine for at least 6 hours before bedtime. Nicotine, especially can stay in your body for up to 20 hours!

Chemical sleep aids are for short term use only. They are addictive and are not meant as a long term solution and should not be used for more than 2 or 3 nights. Address the reason you can't sleep and try and correct it before resorting to pills. They should be a last ditch effort.

Try a warm bath before bed, with lavender oil or something similar which helps relax your senses and prepare you for sleep.

Set a regular sleep schedule, going to bed at the same time and waking at the same time, regardless of how well you slept. Even if you get to bed at 4 am, if your set time to rise is 6 am, get up.

Hope this helps.

I had the same problem, solution:

-Less Caffeine during the day

-Turn on fan while sleeping

-Stopped going to so many late martial arts classes (the endorphin released from the 8-10 PM classes kept me up)

-stretch before bed to relax

-concentrate on breathing while getting to sleep- inhale 4 counts...exhale 4 counts

Hope this helps!