Ask For Advice

Thread: trust broken - can a marriage or relationship survive

kenneth05

trust broken - can a marriage or relationship survive

if one partner has been false on deeply important matters, and the other partner only found out about it by accident, and the false partner does nothing to build trust back, can the marriage/relationship survive? any thoughts appreciated.

Ms Omaniac
    to me...if the false partner does nothing to build the trust back then that person BETTER try if they want to keep me. i wouldnt let this person continue in your life if they dont at least try. if you let the person stay and just put up with it then you arent respecting yourself enough. and people tend to value and respect you as much as you respect yourself. you shouldnt let this person railroad you like that; you deserve much better than that. it sounds like you treat this person with respect and you deserve the same back.

equal marriage
    Trust, respect, compassion and commitment are the floor on which you build love and a strong marriage. Being "found out" can be emparrassing and scary, it however shoudl not be paralyzing- referring to your partner not taking an action to improve the situation. Many marriages can be "saved" and can even become stronger if both parties are willing to give it try- to get help- professional help.

Falucchi
    Define "deeply important matters"

can the marriage/relationship survive? Off hand, I'd say No, because I'm not real fond of liars.
    On the other hand, it depends on the matter.
    Sometimes people do things in the past, regret it, and grow up and never repeat it. It all depends on the deeply important matter, and who many people it effected then or now. It also depends on how long the partners have been together, too.

virtutis
    Firstly, was this broken trust started before the marriage or during? I'm answering as if it were during. Above all I'd like to mention that if we build a marriage upon ourselves, it's like building a house on the sand. If we build a marriage upon God, we build a marriage on stone. Yes a marriage can survive but it depends on the two of you. We often think that whoever screwed up has to work at it while the other sits back and thinks if they'll accept it or not. The truth is that it is still a marriage and it still takes two. Even though you didn't cause the mistake you are still a partner and need to help the other through the mistakes. It seems unfair that you should bare a weight for something you didn't do but life was never made fair. All we can do is make it as best as possible. When you went into this marriage it was for better or worse. Well here's the worse. Now you need to prove to yourself that you can make it through the worse. A strong marriage is made from pulling through the problems and not just living in a fantasy where everything is always sunny and happy. Pray for strength and wisdom and compassion for your partner who has fallen in weakness. You are in it to help each other, not to abandon at the sight of weakness.

brando
    ive seen couples survive infidelity, anything is possible, depending on what you both truly want. It takes the effort of two. Half and half. You being responsible for your half the other for theirs.

Shadows Light
    No... Trust is one of the building blocks of a relationship. ie marriage.

How deeply was the trust broken... is it something they can work on... was it an omission, was it a blatent lie... was it something kept from you because they were embarrased about it?

Top Threads
Why is it so bad?
Im so confused about my marriage. it's a roller coaster of super high times and lowest lows. We haven't had the best communication lately. The icing
Perspective
Weíve been married 4yrs, together for 6yrs and I canít but help feeling like Iím being weak and need to start being strong and end this marriage. It
I want that light to turn off already:/
Given my current and long going issues with my wife. With all the stuff that should of ended it. How even after 7 month seperation it never got

Featured Threads
Red Flag if the guy on first date does not pay for my food?
A guys asked me out to a dinner and picked the restaurant. Toward the end, when the waiter came to drop off the bill, the waiter leaned toward the
narcissistic ex - help/ how to get back at him
So this is a post about a narcisisstic, immature ex. Not an ex boyfriend, not an ex boy, but something in between. It was something in between
University freshers fling?
[B]Hey there! [/B] Thank you so much for reading this. I just [I]REALLY [/I]need advice as it's SERIOUSLY affecting MY LIFE
Should you call out your ex when you find out they've been cheating on you?
Just some thoughts guys. Have you been cheated on? What did you do? Did you call your ex out on the lies and deceit? Or go on with your lives?
Ex is being so angry and hateful
I was in kind of relationship for almost 6-7 months but unexpectedly we broke up. He dumped. Just on a fight. Just day after our breakup. I went back
How to avoid checking up on ex social media?
Hi friends, Iím finding that posting here and seeing so many of us in the same boat is proving rather helpful in my own journey to move on. That
Break-up
Hi, I've recently just been broken up with by my girlfriend of two years, she has stated it wasn't all my fault and she is part to blame, but would
Ask For Advice